NYC J3a Hudson Plans (1" or 1.5" Scale)

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

joeburgard540

NYC J3a Hudson Plans (1" or 1.5" Scale)

Post by joeburgard540 »

Does anyone supply NYC J3a Hudson Plans in 1" (or 1.5" Scale)? Comtemplating building a 1" scale J3a Hudson, and working off an existing scale design would save a bunch of time.

Has anyone bought the loco drawing CD's that the NYC Historical Society sells? What kind of quality are the scans? They're a little steep on price compared to the UPHS drawing CDs.

http://nycshs.blogspot.com/search/label/books

Thanks,
Joe
Sandiapaul

Re: NYC J3a Hudson Plans (1" or 1.5" Scale)

Post by Sandiapaul »

Drawings from the society are great, though to be upfront the ones I have are for the J1, but I can't imagine the J3 ones would be any different.

Friends Models has drawings for the 3/4" one, they may be of some help too.

Enough of the J3s have been built someone must have some decent drawings. I know what you mean though...taking the prototype drawings and designing a working model from them is a big project itself!

Paul
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

it is easier to work from the Friends drawings than the hysterical society's, since the Langworthy drawings have already been simplified. You have to work over the boiler design since I see little use for a combustion chamber and thermosyphon tubes in our scale. Otherwise (having built a 3/4 from those drawings 30+ years ago), they are quite good.

Actually, if you take them and put them in a photocopy machine and just scale up with the ZOOM button, you can have something that is ....

totally useless except to redimension.... :lol:

but it will give you an idea of just how large a 1" or 1.5" Hudson is..

If you want drawings of the PT tender, you won't get it from Friends, and since many of the J3s had them, you may have to pop for some of the drawings from the society.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Hudson Honey

Post by Hudson Honey »

a 1.5" scale hudson is HUGE...trust me...it's slowly over growing my small shop.

Pamela
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Hudson Honey wrote:a 1.5" scale hudson is HUGE...trust me...it's slowly over growing my small shop.

Pamela
It is also one of the more attractive of steam locomotives, at least in my opinion.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Hudson Honey

Post by Hudson Honey »

It is also one of the more attractive of steam locomotives, at least in my opinion.

Harold

thats why i am building it...... :D

Pamela