Rerailer Revisited

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

ccvstmr

Rerailer Revisited

Post by ccvstmr »

This is a subject that comes up from time to time. There are many variations out there. I had a version using a wheel barrel handle and a swivel caster. Worked nice. Lots of leverage. Problem was, it was big and bulky.

The 2nd time around, I wanted something that was portable, collapsible, easy to set up, reasonably light weight and had limited adjustment. I wanted the lifter to fit in a caboose where where I carry a remote brake unit, red flag, first aid kit, weatherproof battery charger and an extension cord. As such, no room for interior details. Functional concerns and having necessary items when needed outweighed interior design and decorations.

I purchased a couple lengths of perforated square tubing at Lowe's along with some chain. Other metals and hardware came from the scrap bin. The base was made by welding two pieces of steel crosswise that would still fit between the rails. Some scrap stainless was turned to fit inside the square tube to create the swing center. Matching offset pivot plates were made so the unit could be left intact and folded for storage in a car. A piece of flat plate and square tube made up "the business end" to hold and "latch" the chain for lifting. A lifting strap could also be used. And if additional lifting power was needed...another length of perf tube with a telescoping piece of larger steel tube could be slid over the lifter handle to increase the leverage. A piece of sheet metal was bent to hold the base to an inside wall in the caboose.

The Lowe's perforated tubing is about .075" thick. It would have been nice if the wall thickness was a little heavier. After assembly, this lifter picked up the back end of an EZ-Go golf cart with batteries installed...that was close to 1000# right there. The tube did flex, but didn't fold. If you need to lift something heavier...changes in material selection can be made to increase the load lifting limit. A stiffening piece of square stock could also be inserted inside the square tube.

I expect to have another caboose in my fleet soon...(1) for each loco. The lifter is ready for installation in its new home. So, no matter which train I travel with (or have in operation at my home track), there's a portable loco lifter nearby. Carl B.
Attachments
IMG_2272.JPG
IMG_2274.JPG
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
Errol Groff

Re: Rerailer Revisited

Post by Errol Groff »

Could you post a photo of the tool as if in use? I take a lot of pictures of trains but don't know all that much about them so I don't visualize how the rerailer would be used. Other than, duh, to get the locomotive back on the tracks.

Thanks!
Errol Groff

Retired Manufacturing Technology Instructor

Webmaster for New England Model Engineering Society
http://www.neme-s.org
johnpenn74

Post by johnpenn74 »

Does anyone have any pictures of Bob Dean's device for rerailing his northern? I saw it in action once at mid south I think but didn't have the camera ready.

JP
John Pennington

Logging meets that actually move logs

Project
2 Mich-Cal Shays
Allen 4-4-0 Narrow Gauge Conversion
Two Reading A5a Camelback 0-4-0
USRA 0-6-0
Clishay
4 Western Wheeled Scraper NG Dump Cars
N&W 4-8-2
ICM 2-10-2
4 Modern Stake Cars
L&N Caboose
4 Big Four Conversion Gondolas

Like I'm actually gonna build all this stuff :-P
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

Errol Groff wrote:Could you post a photo of the tool as if in use? I take a lot of pictures of trains but don't know all that much about them so I don't visualize how the rerailer would be used. Other than, duh, to get the locomotive back on the tracks.
Errol, I got a couple of photos per your request. In case you didn't realize...the vertical post and lever swivel on a pin mounted to the "X" base. This provides up/down as well as side to side movement. You can choke up on the chain by lifting the lever handle higher...and then slide the chain link in the slot. You can also adjust the pivot point of the lever handle...a 5/16" hex head bolt with the threads cut off slides thru the perf tube. It's "captured" with a hair pin clip.

If you need more leverage...add the handle extension. If you think you've got a loco that weighs too much, you can always slide a solid square bar down the center of the perf tube...even drill a hole thru that for the lever pin. Hope that helps. Carl B.
Attachments
IMG_2287.JPG
IMG_2286.JPG
IMG_2285.JPG
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
Errol Groff

Post by Errol Groff »

I thought I had posted a "thank you" for the pictures but I don't see it. So, thank you!

Errol Groff