Bitter Creek narrow gauge meet / MEG Fest 2012

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Phil Tucker

Bitter Creek narrow gauge meet / MEG Fest 2012

Post by Phil Tucker »

Who's going to Bitter Creek in August for the Narrow Gauge meet? I'll be there with Chu.

I'm hoping Mike Massee and a few others will show up with their MEG's and we can double or triple head on Saturday for a little while. It would be truly epic to get a bunch of these together at some point during the weekend. Anybody interested in doing that? Let me know your thoughts!
Ray Cadd

Re: Bitter Creek narrow gauge meet / MEG Fest 2012

Post by Ray Cadd »

Hey Phil, can I run your engine????? Heh heh heh..... :P
Ray Cadd

2.5" scale Allen Chloe saddle tank
2.5" scale RMI switcher
2.5" scale LE "Crab"
4.75" ga. O.S. "Koppel"
3.5" ga. "Fanny"
asst. ga1...
fresnojay

Post by fresnojay »

Hey Phil,
I will be there all weekend. Hope to arrive friday night. Although I do not own a meg or any ng equipment yet. I will gladly help out anyway I can. I can also shoot some video of the lash up for you all. Will be great to see you again as well.

Jason
sabin

Post by sabin »

The Narrow Gauge Meet is my favorite Bitter Creek event. I've been looking foreword to double heading my MEG with Mike Massees MEG for some time, and the thought of a triple header.................. But some family matters have come up and I won't be able to attend. Karl suggested I call in sick for the family gig, but I think whistle sounds in the background would give me away. Maybe we can get together at the Presidents Weekend Meet in Feb. Have fun you guys and take lots of pictures.

Jim
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

Phil it's just you and me so far unless the guy from So Cal live steamers who has the other MEG shows up.

What do you have for couplers? I've got 2 1/2" on the back and I can do 2 1/2" or link and pin in the front.

--M
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
Phil Tucker

Post by Phil Tucker »

Sorry to hear you won't be attending the meet Sabin, but it sounds like your priorities are where they should be. I've been in that situation plenty of times myself so I can relate!

Mike, good to hear you'll be bringing the MEG. I have 1 1/2" couplers front and back but link & pin should work. I can easily swap out either coupler.
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

Phil Tucker wrote:Sorry to hear you won't be attending the meet Sabin, but it sounds like your priorities are where they should be. I've been in that situation plenty of times myself so I can relate!

Mike, good to hear you'll be bringing the MEG. I have 1 1/2" couplers front and back but link & pin should work. I can easily swap out either coupler.
Best thing is for you to be on the front so I can have my boxcar with the stop-on-a-dime brake system behind me.

What's the pin dia on your end? I'll make up a link. don't think I have a sacrificial 1 1/2" coupler at the moment.

Is the rear pocket the same as the front? (two slot RMI pocket casting with the lower pocket at 1 1/2" coupler height) I have photos of the front of CHU but not the rear connection.

FYI, it looks like the front pocket will accommodate a 2 1/2" coupler in the upper slot if you wanted to do that at some point.

-M
Postwarbob

Post by Postwarbob »

Phil hopefully I will be able to join you next year with a new version of Chu. My son Rob will be finishing it this coming winter. I have been picking up pieces for its completion. Got a beautiful steam dome casting and bell from Highiron ( Mike Venezia) at Train Mountain. I miss both Chu and my Meg that Sabin has. Glad you are both enjoying them.
Bob.......
Phil Tucker

Post by Phil Tucker »

Harlock wrote:Best thing is for you to be on the front so I can have my boxcar with the stop-on-a-dime brake system behind me.

What's the pin dia on your end? I'll make up a link. don't think I have a sacrificial 1 1/2" coupler at the moment.

Is the rear pocket the same as the front? (two slot RMI pocket casting with the lower pocket at 1 1/2" coupler height) I have photos of the front of CHU but not the rear connection.

FYI, it looks like the front pocket will accommodate a 2 1/2" coupler in the upper slot if you wanted to do that at some point.

-M

Yes, I have the two-slot casting you described front and rear, just not sure that the coupler height would be correct if I were to swap out for a 2 1/2" coupler but we can try. I think making the link would still be a good idea so we have a backup plan. My pin dia. is 3/8".
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

Phil Tucker wrote:
Harlock wrote:Best thing is for you to be on the front so I can have my boxcar with the stop-on-a-dime brake system behind me.

-M

Yes, I have the two-slot casting you described front and rear, just not sure that the coupler height would be correct if I were to swap out for a 2 1/2" coupler but we can try. I think making the link would still be a good idea so we have a backup plan. My pin dia. is 3/8".
5.42" at centerline is 2 1/2" coupler height. You can shave the shank to get the right height or make an adaptor that bolts on.

I take the RMI couplers and turn them into a short shank, round the rear end and drill a hole in it.
Phil Tucker

Post by Phil Tucker »

Ray Cadd wrote:Hey Phil, can I run your engine????? Heh heh heh..... :P
Of course! For your convenience I've installed a bill acceptor on the tender :twisted:
Attachments
chu.jpg
Phil Tucker

Post by Phil Tucker »

Postwarbob wrote:Phil hopefully I will be able to join you next year with a new version of Chu. My son Rob will be finishing it this coming winter. I have been picking up pieces for its completion. Got a beautiful steam dome casting and bell from Highiron ( Mike Venezia) at Train Mountain. I miss both Chu and my Meg that Sabin has. Glad you are both enjoying them.
Bob.......
Sounds good Bob, I can't wait to see Chu 2.0 next year!