need tire making info!!!!!

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Tim Willard

need tire making info!!!!!

Post by Tim Willard »

I need to make tires for my atlantic. Last June at Train Mountain, some how???? A small piece of flange broke off a front driver. I'm having 4 tires water jetted by a friend. I need info on: tire height not counting flange, how much smaller should ID of tire be than OD of wheel, should tire be wider than wheel and turned after installation to match, what temp should tire be at time of installation, how much tread should be taken off of cast iron wheel, I've never tried this before so any info is a help. Thanks Tim
Lovesthedrive

Re: need tire making info!!!!!

Post by Lovesthedrive »

one thousandth per inch is the rule of thumb. Under 2 inches diameter = 0.001"
1969 MF 40 Industrial
WJH

Post by WJH »

You know, shrink fit is one way, another way possibly could be a slip fit with loctite? Has anyone tried this?
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

i have ten wheel/tires under my belt. I will be happy to answer any questions you have.

1) tires can be as thin as .25 but mind are about .40 thick, you would have to see how much you can remove from the wheel, this will tell you how thick you can make the

2) I turned a shoulder for the tire to rest against while it cools
3) interference fit = one thou per inch plus one thou.
4) I heated the tires on the bbq.

I have many pictures if you like
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
LivingLegend

Post by LivingLegend »

Prototype driver tires were mostly 3-1/2" thick.... So an 80" driver would have a driver center of 73" diameter.

I take it your loco is a LE Atlantic with 10" drivers. So for prototype proportion, turn the drivers to 9.125 dia. and make your tires nominal .4375 thick (add extra for the flange depth and machining allowance on the tread) to give you the 10" finished driver diameter.

LL
Do it right.... Or don't do it at all
I have no life. Therefore, I have a hobby
It's not that I'm apathetic, I just flat don't care
An Intellectual is nothing more than an Over-Educated IDIOT
Blogs: Where people with nothing to say..... Say it
LivingLegend

Post by LivingLegend »

Forgot...

Make your tire blank wider than your driver finished driver width to allow for truing the wheel set back to back dimensions dead on.

LL
Do it right.... Or don't do it at all
I have no life. Therefore, I have a hobby
It's not that I'm apathetic, I just flat don't care
An Intellectual is nothing more than an Over-Educated IDIOT
Blogs: Where people with nothing to say..... Say it
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

I have done them with loctite, also with loctite and screw in set screws (along wheel axis) for keys.

You can also screw them on by threading the wheel OD and the tire ID. When you get them exactly where you want them, put the screw key in to hold them in place.

I have a friend that does this to allow him to change gauge on his locon in short order. Take out the screw, rotate the tires 1/2 a turn, put the key back in - voila 7-1/4 to 7-1/2.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
marshall5

Post by marshall5 »

'Hope this link to Southport Model Engineers' technical page helps. Re correct temperature I was told the hot tyre should scorch a piece of paper! Regards Ray.http://www.southportmec.co.uk/tech.html
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

What ever machine allowance used:

1) It is good to machine a step for seating the tire. When installed, the step registers the tire on the center and keeps things straight, and in service, can only allow movement in one direction should the rolling forces ever loosen the assembly. Sit down and calculate the dimensions carfully, and proceed.

2) Heating of the tire for shrink fit is easily accomplished up to about 450* by soaking it in a pan of heated motor oil. The Oil temperature is monitored with a thermometer, and only a coupla minutes immersion will give you an equal tempurature in the part. Drop the ring on the thing, tap with a favorite hammer, and check for seating and square, let air cool. It should be stable in less thanthree minutes, but dont rush.

3) If properly done, there is no truing necessary, so wheels can be done on the axle, without the risks of orking things up pulling and pushing wheel center castings on.

4) For the faint of heart, or arithmetically challenged, the tire blanks can be fitted up, on the wheel centers, and then turned to the gnats wisker of accuracy if desired. The final approach is up to you. It is a big job for an ameteur that demands accuracy, but inch by inch its a cinch.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

7th edition Machinists Handbook.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
Tim Willard

Post by Tim Willard »

I can't thank everyone enough!!! Great information. Any job can be accomplished if one has all his ducks in line and some common sense. I used loc tite on pass. trucks {wheels & axles} and it worked fine. I will research that more. I used oil to cool down leaf springs so heating things should do the same. Having never done this before, I had already planned to make the tire larger than the wheel & turn to match. Thanks again, Tim.
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

i used Loctite and screws. these were 8" NG wheels. i counter sunk the screws and milled them flush.
Attachments
tires E.jpg
tire screws E.JPG
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.