Russell J Decho - RIP

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

timu

Russell J Decho - RIP

Post by timu »

I must sadly report that Russ Decho passed away last week at the age of 86. Russ was a founding member of the Illinois Live Steamers, serving for many years as the 1” scale track foreman, and on the board (including as treasurer, vp and president.) He contributed greatly to the hobby, producing highly detailed one inch scale locomotives and freight cars in two business ventures, K-D Models and Decho Scale Models… Equipment built by him can be found across the US and the globe. He was a master model builder, great mentor and friend.

-Tim
Attachments
Russ, many years ago with his 2-8-0 (photo from ILS archive.)
Russ, many years ago with his 2-8-0 (photo from ILS archive.)
mattmason

Re: Russell J Decho - RIP

Post by mattmason »

Thank you for letting us know. This is really sad news.
Matt Mason
jcbrock

Post by jcbrock »

Russ definitely carried the 1" scale torch here in the Midwest, much as Jack Sessums did out West. It was always fun to see what new cars he had in his trailer when he'd come to the St Croix RR meets, and they were beautiful. He was what I like to say is typical for this hobby: quiet, friendly, a real gentleman.
John Brock
DJSteamer3017

Post by DJSteamer3017 »

Man, another Live Steam Legend has gone and one of those Small Scale Greats!! That's is one sick 2-8-0, what's happened to it?

David
The 1" Scale Junkie ... But steam of all sizes is cool with me!!
"If you can dream it, you can do it" - Walt Disney
timu

Post by timu »

DJSteamer3017 wrote:Man, another Live Steam Legend has gone and one of those Small Scale Greats!! That's is one sick 2-8-0, what's happened to it?

David
It is still owned by his family.
Superberky1204

Post by Superberky1204 »

WOW! Another great person leaves the great hobby of ours. I've built a lot of his products. He was always a gentleman. he will be missed.

Bruce Saylor, in PA.
Spiner

Post by Spiner »

very well said Tim. We unfortunately lost 2 other incredible model builders as well, Bud Buker, founder of the Lake Forest Railroad Museum, at the age of 101 and Fred Hanson from the heston railroad museum. They will all be greatly missed but will be remembered by the beautiful equipment that they built.
www.chaski.com