Cylinder Patterns for Dummies??

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Curtis_F

Cylinder Patterns for Dummies??

Post by Curtis_F »

Gentelmen,

Does anyone have photos of and/or tips on how to design patterns for slide valve cylinders?

I'm talking about a whole half-saddle design with all ports cast in.

I just can't figure out where the best place is to split the pattern. Once I know that, I can work out how the rest of it needs to go together.

It's for a 2.5" scale engine, 2.5" bore (probably sleve it down to 2") by 3.34" stroke. No cylinder casting on the market today will work.

If all else fails I'm may start asking questions on fabricating cylinders. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/smile.gif"%20alt="[/img]

Thank you for your time,

Curtis F.
25+ Years of SolidWorks experience...now I feel old.
"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink."
"Winning an argument on the internet is like winning the Special Olympics."
www.facebook.com/HillcrestShops
Rolly

Re: Cylinder Patterns for Dummies??

Post by Rolly »

Curtis
I e-mailed you a file. Hope it helps
Rolly
Patrik

Post by Patrik »

Patrik
Mikado14

Post by Mikado14 »

Curtis,

Depending on what you have in mind, you may need a right and left, however, if you don't, then one pattern will work.

Description:
Here goes, assume you are looking at the front of the engine, the cylinders mate on a vertical line down thru the center of the locomotive if you are choosing to cast the steam chest as part of the cylinder. I wouldn't do it that way but I am trying to keep this simple.

The cylinder pattern would be divided on an intersecting line from the center of the cylinder and proceeding up on an angle to the steam chest. This might put the steam chest off center of the matchplate so that more of it is on one side then the other, however, this as well as draft can be compensated by the core.
Imagine the cylinder and the chest as a solid and it needs to be divided in half. One half is on one side of a board (matchplate) and the other half is on the other side. In order to get the cylinder bore and the porting, a core will be necessary. A seperate core mold box will be necessary. This core box will be two halves of the final core and it may be necessary to have more than one core especially if the core for the porting is not straight. Imagine a simple CI cylinder with only a bore in it. That bore is made from the core. The core is made from the same base material the cast will be taken in except it has a binder that will harden. The core will prevent the molten CI from forming so that when the cast is removed , there is a core of sand in the middle. This core must be shaken out. In the event that there is porting in the cast, this sand must be also shaken out and sometimes must be dug out.

It is very difficult to explain without at least a picture to reference, how to construct the pattern for a cylinder to include porting.

If you wish, I would be happy to make a drawing to further explain, let me know.

Ron

Senior moment, I just reread your post, you said slide valve. Well, that is a little easier and a seperate chest would be the way. For some reason, I was thinking piston valve. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/blush.gif"%20alt="[/img]
Al_Messer

Post by Al_Messer »

After you get the pattern made, where will you get it cast??
Al Messer

"One nation, under God"
Mikado14

Post by Mikado14 »

Al,

How about Kulp foundry for one? Or, there is one in Lancaster, Hamburg, Spring City, Pottstown and Gap, to name of few. These are all located in Pa. and do Cast Iron. If you want other materials cast, I can give you other locations.

Or were you talking to Curtis F?
Or, are you in need of a foundry?

Ron
Al_Messer

Post by Al_Messer »

I probably will be in need of a foundry sometime this year.
Al Messer

"One nation, under God"
Mikado14

Post by Mikado14 »

No Problem Al, let me know what you want cast. I would be happy to steer you towards a foundry, EMail me off board when your ready or just send a PM.

Good Luck!

Ron