LE New Northern

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Hudson Honey

Re: LE New Northern

Post by Hudson Honey »

What Mike has done revamping the 'old' northern/hudson is nothing short of outstanding. it is a seriously substantial locomotive......a beast for lack of a better term.....

i even took it one step farther I made a super heavy pacific out of it...which the 'almost' rolling chassis was sold at TM. just to much going on..had to thin things out.

in any event......old or new northern......both are good runners...solid designs......and excellent pullers.

Pamela
Cary Stewart

Post by Cary Stewart »

The conversion kit for the LE Pacific and Atlantic (probably the old Northern) was made by Winton. I have been told that he also made a piston valve conversion for his 2-6-0 but I don't know for sure. If I recall there were originally 5 "Old" Northers built about the same time to help defray the cost of patterns, etc. The five were Semour Johnson's Golleta Valley, Chet Peterson's UP FEF, Dick Priest's Daylight, David Rose's RH&D and I believe the Hunter one at Riverside LS. A few others were built in later years. One of the first "New" Norherns was built by a LALS member who mostly assenbled it on the steaming bays. I don't recall his name. He moved away some years ago.
Cary
Rob Gardner

Post by Rob Gardner »

Bob, IMHO, your father crafted one of the most aesthetically pleasing 4-8-4's around. I've only seen pics of the one C&O version that LE advertised originally and none others, but your version should be heralded as the prototype. BTW, what is the OD of the smoke box? Is it larger than the standard Atlantic/Pacific smoke box?

Rob Gardner
Miserlou57

Post by Miserlou57 »

Rob Gardner wrote:Bob, IMHO, your father crafted one of the most aesthetically pleasing 4-8-4's around. I've only seen pics of the one C&O version that LE advertised originally and none others, but your version should be heralded as the prototype. BTW, what is the OD of the smoke box? Is it larger than the standard Atlantic/Pacific smoke box?
Any pics of this Northern?

As for the boiler, according to my 2009 Little Engines catalog, the Atlantic and Pacific both have a boiler of 9", while the Hudson and the New Northern have a boiler of 10 3/4".
GN2114

Post by GN2114 »

Rob

The smokebox is 11.5" OD

There is a picture in the link in my post above. Another good shot is found at:
http://neme-s.org/PVLS_June_2012/pionee ... eamers.htm
pic is DSC05275.JPG
Bob Wheaton
Miserlou57

Post by Miserlou57 »

Looking through the Little Engines catalog, it looks like the LE Atlantic, Pacific, Hudson, and New Northern share a vast majority of parts. There really only seem to be a small handful of differences. Can anyone comfirm this? Someone mentioned the New Northern has a different cylinder casting, but they all three have the same bore & stroke...
hwboivin3

Post by hwboivin3 »

Dick_Morris wrote:
The Hudson and new Northern were started in the 80's during the Moodie Braun ownership of LE
I couldn't put a date on it, but I think you're right that this was a Moodie Braun project. I only visited LE twice, once during Irene Lewis' tenure and another during Moodie's. My recollection is that he showed me a Husdon drawing and I had the impression that it was a work in progress. If I remember correctly, he was also converting the LE drawings to CAD at that time.

Are the little engines drawings updated to cad?
The one thing that kept me away from the LE Pacific was the old blueprints.
Andrew Pugh

Post by Andrew Pugh »

Miserlou57 wrote:Looking through the Little Engines catalog, it looks like the LE Atlantic, Pacific, Hudson, and New Northern share a vast majority of parts. There really only seem to be a small handful of differences. Can anyone comfirm this? Someone mentioned the New Northern has a different cylinder casting, but they all three have the same bore & stroke...
Bore x Stroke

Atlantic: 2.5x3
Pacific/Hudson/New Northern: 2.5x3.5
Old Northern: 2.75x3.5

Wheel dia. is 10" for all, except the Hudson doesn't have the wheel dia. listed.

I wonder if the boiler pressure is generally higher for the locos with more axles; it seems if pressure was set the same for all, the atlantic would be most slippery, and the northern least.
LivingLegend

Post by LivingLegend »

Hudson drivers are also 10" dia.

LL
Do it right.... Or don't do it at all
I have no life. Therefore, I have a hobby
It's not that I'm apathetic, I just flat don't care
An Intellectual is nothing more than an Over-Educated IDIOT
Blogs: Where people with nothing to say..... Say it
Andypullen

Post by Andypullen »

hwboivin3 wrote:
Dick_Morris wrote:
The Hudson and new Northern were started in the 80's during the Moodie Braun ownership of LE
I couldn't put a date on it, but I think you're right that this was a Moodie Braun project. I only visited LE twice, once during Irene Lewis' tenure and another during Moodie's. My recollection is that he showed me a Husdon drawing and I had the impression that it was a work in progress. If I remember correctly, he was also converting the LE drawings to CAD at that time.

Are the little engines drawings updated to cad?
The one thing that kept me away from the LE Pacific was the old blueprints.
There's nothing wrong with the old prints. I have a set of prints for the Atlantic/Pacific and they are fine. You're building a steam locomotive. A big roll of prints would be standard issue.

As I said; I have a set of prints that Seymour Johnson made for the Northern and they are a work of art. Mike has updated a number of prints for the Hudson/Northern.

Yes....10" drivers on both locomotives. 11" spacing.

Andy Pullen
Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, ProtoTrak AGE-2 control cnc on a BP clone, Reed Prentice 14" x 30", Sanford MG 610 surface grinder, Kalamazoo 610 bandsaw, Hardinge HSL speed lathe, Hardinge HC chucker, Kearney and Trecker #2K plain horizontal mill, Haas TL-1 lathe.
locoworks

Post by locoworks »

Good morning.

For the record:
1) All LE drawings have been remastered and are now clean and sharp.
2) The same cylinder castings are used for the Atlantic, Pacific, Hudson and New Northern.
Steamingdanny

Post by Steamingdanny »

locoworks wrote:Good morning.

For the record:
1) All LE drawings have been remastered and are now clean and sharp.
2) The same cylinder castings are used for the Atlantic, Pacific, Hudson and New Northern.

You'd be beyond crazy to do business with Clarke from "Little Engines"