Drawings/plans

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

CraigW

Drawings/plans

Post by CraigW »

Hi guys and gals, I had the opportunity to talk to postwarbob last Friday at which time he suggested joining and reaching out for help. I am brand new to the hobby and am entertaining the construction of a 1939 Milwaukee Road Hiawatha. I have been unable to find drawing/plans for this engine and tender. Does anyone know where I could go to obtain copies? About 5 years ago I was given a 3/4 scale 4-8-4 steam engine and tender that were built (and never run) for the 1934 Centennial for Momence Illinois. With the help of a friend we steamed it up on Sept 9th and took it for its maiden run 78 years later. I'm hooked! Thanks in advance for any leads you can give me.
Bruce_Mowbray

Re: Drawings/plans

Post by Bruce_Mowbray »

Craig,

Back in the January 1984 issue of "Model Railroader", there was a full spread of the Hiawatha 4-4-2. Including a centerfold pullout (IIRC) Kalmbach has a good search engine for back issues. I remember looking at that centerfold more than once. You might start there. I did a quick search for the Hiawatha and there were quite a few hits.
Bruce Mowbray
Springville & Southern RR
TMB Manufacturing & Locomotive Works
CraigW

Post by CraigW »

I am actually looking for the 4-6-4 Hudson. I have seen some dimensions (train and tender = 100 feet). I tried contacting the Milwaukee Road Historical Society to no avail. I will try your lead. Thanks.
aopagary

Post by aopagary »

steamlocomotives.com

http://www.steamlocomotive.com/hudson/?page=cmstpp

is a pretty good place for general locomotive information.
might also provide a few links to additional info and pictures.

good luck...gary
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

CraigW wrote:About 5 years ago I was given a 3/4 scale 4-8-4 steam engine and tender that were built (and never run) for the 1934 Centennial for Momence Illinois. With the help of a friend we steamed it up on Sept 9th and took it for its maiden run 78 years later.
Pictures, pictures, pictures!!!!

Steve
hudson

Re: Drawings/plans Milwaukee F7

Post by hudson »

Hi,

You can find some data and a photograph of this locomotive at Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milwaukee_Road_class_F7

and some small photographs at:

http://donsdepot.donrossgroup.net/dr485.htm

You will have to scroll down a bit.

Locomotive cyclopedias 1938 and/or 1941 will also have some information.

If you have access to Railway Mechanical Engineer or Railway Age, you will certainly also find
some information like description, photos and a few drawings.

Best regards,
hudson
SZuiderveen

Post by SZuiderveen »

According to a friend who lives in Wisconsin, the drawings are here:

http://www.mpl.org/file/hum_milwroad_index.htm

He was part of a group that met once a month (or more) to sort out the collections. I recall that the collection includes both passenger car and locomotive drawings, but it may not yet be fully searchable, and the individual drawings may not be cheap to copy.

Steve
LSGOD

Post by LSGOD »

CraigW wrote:Hi guys and gals, I had the opportunity to talk to postwarbob last Friday at which time he suggested joining and reaching out for help. I am brand new to the hobby and am entertaining the construction of a 1939 Milwaukee Road Hiawatha. I have been unable to find drawing/plans for this engine and tender. Does anyone know where I could go to obtain copies? About 5 years ago I was given a 3/4 scale 4-8-4 steam engine and tender that were built (and never run) for the 1934 Centennial for Momence Illinois. With the help of a friend we steamed it up on Sept 9th and took it for its maiden run 78 years later. I'm hooked! Thanks in advance for any leads you can give me.

Dr. Warr of the LALS has a Hiawatha Hudson that was built by a man near the Chicago area I think. I built the tender trucks for it in 1.593 scale. They are special 11 ft. wheelbase Commonwealth. I have the pattern for them.

LSGOD
CraigW

Post by CraigW »

I am from the Chicago area and to date I have not been able to locate any plans or dimensional drawings on either the engine or tender. I appreciate any info you can provide.
slhdsnet@dsuper.net

Post by slhdsnet@dsuper.net »

Hi Craig,

I too am quite new to this discussion board !

Maybe something of interest to you, i.e. I just might consider selling my completed 3/4" scale, 4-6-4 Hudson type frame, in running "on-air" condition / running like a swiss watch. The subject frame is all completed and ready for boiler installation (not included), cladding and plumbing. The frame was constructed to include boxpoc type drivers as well as meticulously scaled down version of the Baker valve geartrain layout and arrangement. The completed Baker valve components were constructed / machined using all the relevant Locomotive Cyclopedia engineering drawings of the real life locomotive.

Furthermore, the drivers type are pretty much identical to "THE LOCOMOTIVE" picture shown at the following URL, i.e. the third image:

http://www.minnesotajones.com/hiawatha_page.htm

If interested to discusss this further, please let me know accordingly.

Highest regards,
Stephane

slhdsnet@dsuper.net
CraigW

Post by CraigW »

Guys, here are the pictures of the 3/4 inch scale 4-8-4 as requested.
Attachments
canon 385.jpg
canon 386.jpg
canon 387.jpg
canon 388.jpg
canon 389.jpg
CraigW

Post by CraigW »

I am interested in building the inch and a half scale locomotive. Thanks