Locomotives instead of backs and fannies

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Bill Yoder

Locomotives instead of backs and fannies

Post by Bill Yoder »

Could someone tell me how Ed Yungling of CA arranged the controls on his 7 1/2" 4-8-8-2 cab forward? How does he read the waterglass and the steam guage? Have a look on Youtube: It's very pleasing watching the loco run because the engineer is sitting way back on the first car behind the tender. One can see that he has all the controls at the back end of the tender.

I'm tired of all the photos of miniature steam consisting mostly of human anatomy: backs and fannies. A King Kong up on top of the tender really irritates. Should not a lot more engineers be sitting back in the first car behind the tender - as of course is done on many diesels. I really only see a problem if you are the first engine on a doubleheader.

Yes, it's a somewhat different story if one can sit down in the tender.
Patrick.B

Re: Locomotives instead of backs and fannies

Post by Patrick.B »

The first issue with controlling a locomotive without sitting on the tender is fuel. It is impossible to use solid fuel when not sitting directly on the tender (which is the primary fuel choice by many).

So instantly you are limited to non solid fueled locomotives. Which in this case, the cabforward was - as the actual fire box is on the opposite end of the locomotive in retrospect to the tender.

Although I do not know how this locomotive in specific is worked up, I would imagine you could do things very similar to how 3.5" and 4.75" gauge locomotives do it - use long rods and linkages connected to your miscellaneous controls.

I would imagine for water glass and pressure gauge they had to do some additional piping to the rear of the tender. Remember, this would be necessary even if they did sit on the tender because the pressure gauge and water glass (and all other controls for that matter) would be at the front of the locomotive.

I have always viewed "driving" a steam locomotive as operating one. In that it takes a lot of work to keep one going, and you cant just simply hit a button to make it work. Sitting back in the train is for diesels and electrics, steamers need someone up front to work them.
Northeastern Ohio Live Steamers
3.5", 4.75", & 7.5" gauge club
Medina, Ohio
www.neols.net
Bill Yoder

Post by Bill Yoder »

I would guess that Ed Yungling checks his water electronically.

Type in "Swiss vapeur 2-6-6-4" in Google or YouTube and you will see a beautiful Swiss N&W 1218 with the engineer sitting back on the 2nd "water bottle" tender.
Bill Yoder

Post by Bill Yoder »

The point about solid fuel is well-taken. I guess in such instances we can only hope the photographers and filmers will get down low and concentrate much more on taking in the locomotive.

Or perhaps someone else has more ideas.
Trainman4602

Post by Trainman4602 »

Maybe Ed could answer your questions better then all the guess work. He is a member here.
ALLWAYS OPERATING MY TRAIN IN A SAFE MANNER USING AUTOMATIC AIR BRAKES
WJH

Post by WJH »

Radio control electric is what you want!
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

That's always my come back to people who complain about minute scale details. "What about the giant out of scale engineer sitting on the tender?"

I think part of the joy of running a steam locomotive is actually having your hand on the throttle and reverse and everything else. So you have to decide if you want to look good or have fun running.

With my larger engine it's less of an issue, (see my avatar/icon left) and most of me is below cab level and I can get at things easily, which was kind of the whole point of doing a larger engine. It's easier on the back than my Chloe.

If I remember right Ed has an electronic water level sensor and a push-button electric pump to activate when the light goes on. But Ed is indeed on here so maybe he'll go into detail.

In regards to automation, using a couple of arduino controllers with pressure transducers and valve actuators, you could fully automate a propane or oil fired engine, including regulation of water and fire, blower, throttle and reverse. It's been done.

but it depends on what it is you like about the hobby. :) Automation for the sake of photo passes would be just great. For everyday running about the only thing I've considered automating is brakes for long downhill coasts.

-M
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
Steve Bratina

Post by Steve Bratina »

G gauge. Nothing more needs to be said!
Kevin_S

Post by Kevin_S »

Mike, is right about having a water sensor light, there is a sureflow pumped hooked up to switch to fill the boiler. I know the controls are connected with motorcycle cables to control the throttle. As for fuel he fires it on propane.
-Kevin S.
David Powell

Post by David Powell »

I am a bit disabled, and have problems even with 3 1/2" gauge engines with long tenders. However, with a helper in the station firing and checking water level while we loaded and unloaded passengers I was able to run a large loco with only throttle, blower and injector steam and donkey pump steam as my controls. I just left the injector water valve open and turned on the steam when the engine blew off. Managed a few hours without problems like that. regards David Powell.
WJH

Post by WJH »

Knowing what I know about sensors, I would be a little cautious in relying on it from keeping my crown sheet in my expensive boiler from over heating.
Exactly what kind of sensor has Ed utilized for the boiler level?
kapullen

Post by kapullen »

A quick look at Mcmaster Carr reveals a variety of horizontal
liquid level sensors that fit into a NPT hole as small as 1/4 npt.

Also is a variety of solenoid (24v) valves for steam, or water to
operate either pump by passes, injector feeds, and water lines.

Could also add an adjustable time delay relay to delay the steam
after the water feed is opened.

All required is a latching relay to make a circuit
to turn on the feed, latch it in, and unlatch upon
reaching the high water mark.

Also have to hide the stuff somewhere.

Kap
Fadal Turn, Fadal Vmc 15, Prototrak 16 x 30 Cnc Lathe, Pratt and Whitney 16 x 54 lathe, Pratt and Whitney Vertical Shaper, G & E 16" Shaper, B & O Electric turret lathe, 36" Doall band saw,
Enco B.P. Clone, Bridgeport CNC Mill, Delta 12" Surface Grinder.