H.J. Coventry 1/2" scale K4 Locomotive ???

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Stuie

Re: H.J. Coventry 1/2" scale K4 Locomotive ???

Post by Stuie »

Im curious. Whats the device on the smokebox behind the stack?
3/4" scale LBSC Bantam Cock
3/4" scale B4 project (re-designed LBSC Juliet)
- Stuart T. Harrod -
slhdsnet@dsuper.net

Post by slhdsnet@dsuper.net »

:arrow:
Stuie wrote:Im curious. Whats the device on the smokebox behind the stack?

What you have referenced is actually an externally mounted front-end throttle.

Here's more:

On a steam locomotive, the throttle is conventionally mounted within the steam dome, in other words at the very beginning of its route from the boiler to the cylinder. Thus, already, it is far from the place at which the steam does its work. If a superheater is installed on the locomotive, this problem is compounded by the long lengths of the superheater elements. Because the point of control is so far away, the response of the locomotive to adjustments of the throttle lags substantially.

Many later locomotives had installed instead a device called a front-end throttle which placed the throttle in the smokebox, between the superheater and the steam chests. This dramatically improved the responsiveness of the locomotive. It is normally obvious externally that a front-end throttle is installed; there is a crank mounted on the outside of the right hand side of the smokebox, and a throttle rod travelling the whole length of the locomotive to the throttle lever in the cab. The rod is normally in two parts, connected with a 180 degree crank in the middle; the purpose of this is so that thermal expansion of the boiler cannot change the throttle setting. Otherwise, an unattended locomotive's throttle could open and cause a runaway.

The rodding for the conventional, steam dome throttle normally passes through the boiler itself and cannot be seen from the outside.

Hoping that helps you a little !

Cheers,
Stephane

slhdsnet@dsuper.net

Stuie

Post by Stuie »

Ok! I was wondering about that! Wait so why are there two steam dome features built into the boiler?
3/4" scale LBSC Bantam Cock
3/4" scale B4 project (re-designed LBSC Juliet)
- Stuart T. Harrod -
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

Yep, definitely looks like a Little Engines designed locomotive from the pictures. I have a LE pacific chassis, which uses the same running gear and boiler, but I don't remember my castings saying Little Engines on them Either. I will have to go and look. The boiler does look just like my pacific boiler, too.

As someone else mentioned, it was probably going to be finished out as a NYC hudson. You could do a lot with it, and it should be a good locomotive when finished.

Here is a picture of my chassis.
P1010047.JPG
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

It appears that there are more than a few 2 - 1/2" gauge locos lurking in folk's basements!
Now if only some clubs would put an extra rail down so we'd have a place to run them!

Keith
slhdsnet@dsuper.net

Post by slhdsnet@dsuper.net »

Pontiacguy1 wrote:Yep, definitely looks like a Little Engines designed locomotive from the pictures. I have a LE pacific chassis, which uses the same running gear and boiler, but I don't remember my castings saying Little Engines on them Either. I will have to go and look. The boiler does look just like my pacific boiler, too.

As someone else mentioned, it was probably going to be finished out as a NYC hudson. You could do a lot with it, and it should be a good locomotive when finished.

Here is a picture of my chassis.
P1010047.JPG

Absolutely awesome chassis ! I especially like this trailing truck you have !! You are so right, your chassis is indeed quite similar to mine.

Thanks for sharing the image.

Cheers,
Stephane :D

slhdsnet@dsuper.net

Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

I really like 1/2" scale (actually 1:22.6 scale nowadays) running on gauge 3 track (2 1/2" or 64mm). It is a really neat size. It is the smallest scale that is actually able to be ridden and driven on an elevated track. It is also the largest of the 'scenic' scales, which may also be run by track power and where the surroundings try to imitate life in miniature.

Below is a link to my buddy Dave's webpage. It has a lot of information and history on Gauge 3. As you can tell, Mr. Queener is into 2 rail electric models, but his shop and his work are outstanding. He has full CNC capability, both lathe and mill, can do 3-D cad modeling, and also has a laser wood cutter/engraver.

The trailing truck on my Pacific is the Delta trailing truck casting sold by LE in the mid-to-late 1970s. I believe that later ones were made from aluminum instead of bronze. At nearly 3' long, it is a very good size locomotive to only be 2 1/2" gauge. I bet that thing weighs about 50 lbs with the boiler sitting on it.

I bought some parts to another LE pacific a few years ago. These were castings done in the 80's and even the wheels were cast from Aluminum. I decided to build a gauge 3 4-4-0 American using the LE lead truck, drive wheels, axle boxes and axles. It will be somewhere along the same size and overall dimensions as LBSC's American Annie, which was based on his British 4-4-0 Anny Boddie. I am going to make my own cylinder block and saddle out of a piece of bronze, and will use the 3/4" scale raritan's valve gear and valve layout for my locomotive, so it will definitely be freelanced. I already have most of the lead truck parts complete, and both of the drive wheel sets are completed, with the valve gear and a cam for an axle pump. I put steel tires on the aluminum wheels and figured they would be OK for such a small locomotive. I still have to draw up the frame and the cylinders so that I can make more progress. Other project have to get done first, though.

http://www.cumberlandmodelengineering.c ... story.html
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

Historically (meaning in the UK and Europe) 2.5"gauge and Gauge 3 have indicated two different pursuits. Gauge 3 always indicated trains (primarily electric or clockwork) which were termed to be "scenic" railways, that is, to be watched rather than ridden. That is the state of Ga3 in the UK. 2.5"Ga on the other hand almost universally indicated live steam, with the potential to be ridden, which is still the case. When someone says to me "Ga3" my assumption will be that it's electric trains running on 2.5" gauge track, not intended to be ridden. When I see 2.5"ga (or 1/2" scale) my assumption will be live steam, with the potential to be ridden. Gauge-so-and-so is for electric trains. Steamers call it by track gauge, and I think that distinction should be maintained.

2.5" gauge has been going through a revival in the UK and some of the work, and especially the research, documentation, and drawings for projects, is outstanding. I know of a very small group of 2.5" gaugers sprinkled across the US midwest who migrated to 2.5"ga from Ga1 live steam. I don't know what all is in their roster, a couple of Coventry Pacifics IIRC, a King Arthur (Southern 4-6-0, . . I have the boiler to do for that one) under construction, and a few others. I agree with Keith, no telling what is lurking in attics and garages, but also no telling what has been dumped or scrapped because no one knew or cared what it was.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

gwrdriver wrote: I agree with Keith, no telling what is lurking in attics and garages, but also no telling what has been dumped or scrapped because no one knew or cared what it was.
Harry.....while I'm sure a LOT of unfinished locomotives have ended up as landfill, I think the completed models mostly ended up in antique shops and are now decorating offices and libraries. They are big enough to be impressive, yet small enough to fit on a mantlepiece of book shelf. I know of several superb models that are still in the family of the builders, and they will probably stay there...as they should. I'd like to think that some of the models that ended up as decorations in restaurants and offices, may yet find their way back into the hands of live steam enthusiasts....and run again.

As to the unfinished engines, some may yet be preserved, and a few probably deserved their spot in the landfill where they can return to the earth from whence they came....

Keith
Steve Bratina

Post by Steve Bratina »

Too bad that the 1/2" didn't take hold at the clubs instead of the G gauge stuff. It's size lends itself to those who live in an apartment getting into the live steam hobby.
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

Steve Bratina wrote:Too bad that the 1/2" didn't take hold at the clubs instead of the G gauge stuff.
There are probably several reasons, beginning with the availability of RTR equipment when "garden" gauge got going in the US and the subsequent production of US prototype equipment. But it's also perspective, G gauge (so called) was BIG equipment if what you had up until that point was Lionel, and plenty had. Also eventually the market balance to allow manufacturers in japan and China to feasibly produce RTR live steam locomotives in quantity for those who can't build them (99%.)
It's size lends itself to those who live in an apartment getting into the live steam hobby.
And I see that as a good thing. That would describe me in 1967.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
James Powell

Post by James Powell »

Dad had a 2-8-4 in 2.5" gauge that he ran for a few years (2004-09?) and then it went on to a new owner. He also had a Green Arrow (V2, 2-6-2) 3 cylinder job that moped around getting dusty, and went on to some other sucker (er...willing person who would never get it to run either). I'm quite partial to them- the track @ abbotsford (BC) has 2.5" gauge, as does TLS in Toronto (Ont). The gnome had a Royal Scot in 2.5" too...as well as having had a up & down track at one point (Prior to me coming along- so make that late 70's ?)