Lackawanna Hudson

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: Harold_V, WJH, cbrew

SilverSanJuan

Re: Lackawanna Hudson

Post by SilverSanJuan » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:11 am

Jack, your work amazes me each time I see it. You set the bar very high, sir. Thanks for sharing the progress with us. She's a stunning loco.

Todd

JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:22 pm

Hello My Friends
Thank you for the compliments, Mike's Hudson is coming along quite nicely. David asked about the ten wheeler, it is a project of mine that I started years ago. It uses Gene Allen cylinders and drivers but is based on a Southern Pacific ten wheeler although the headlamp is like one on a Maine Central engine that I particularly liked. It is an unusual headlamp with an extra number board at the top front. I haven't worked on the engine in about ten or fifteen years but plan on finishing it and selling it to help finance the new shop up at Ponderosa. The tender frame and trucks are done, the trucks are the old Railroad Supply four wheel pullman swing link trucks. I have all the material on hand to build a copper and brass tank but just need to find the time. This engine was used as a prop in one of the Model Tec engine house articles. Model Tec was a good magazine too bad it's gone. Now back to Mikes Hudson. Mike wanted some gauges for the brake system. He provided the cool little gauges for independent, train line, and vacuum brakes. A mounting plate was made up, and some little clamps to hold the gauges. This makes replacement of the gauges very easy. Here are a couple pictures of the little clamps and then one of the gauges in position. The studs for the clamps are #0-80 round head machine screws threaded in from the back.
Attachments
Gauges1.jpg
Gauges2.jpg
Gauges3.jpg

JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:39 pm

Here are a couple photos from the old Model Tec article. The engine house was a fun project and I still use it from time to time. I recently did an article for Live Steam featuring the bobber caboose in the engine house. I will soon be getting back to George's Disney American and will be photographing it in the engine house along with a horse car that will be made to function as a propane and air compressor car. No shortage of things to do!
See you in the funny pages..
Jack
Attachments
475.jpg
Cab.jpg

SilverSanJuan

Post by SilverSanJuan » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:50 am

I really enjoyed your article on the caboose in the last issue. Cracking good work!

Todd

AnthonyDuarte

Post by AnthonyDuarte » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:05 pm

Stunning work as always!
Whose pressure gauges are those?

Highiron

Post by Highiron » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:56 pm

AnthonyDuarte wrote: Whose pressure gauges are those?

Those gauges are supplied by me at Little Engines
I carry them in a variety of sizes and preasures as well as Vacuum

Mike Venezia

Pennsy fan

Post by Pennsy fan » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:08 pm

Here is one other place that carry these gauges.
http://www.livesteammodels.co.uk/index.html

JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:40 pm

Hello My Friends
Just a Few snappies.
Happy model building.
Jack
Attachments
Hudson1.jpg
Hudson2.jpg
Hudson3.jpg

wagonmaker

Post by wagonmaker » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:42 am

This build brings to mind a couple of words that only seem to appear in various model building forms these days ... Superb Craftsmanship!

The attention to detail and level of finish is outstanding.

Thank you very much for the descriptions and excellent photo's.

Checking this thread is always a joy and it is also spurring me on to try and put a higher standard on my own work.

Cheers,

Tom

JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:54 pm

Hello My Friends
Here is something you may find useful, how to hide a Superscale economy injector inside a dummy stoker engine. Stoker engines had a big exhaust steam line that ran from underneath them forward alongside the fire box and then up under the running board towards the smoke box on the fireman's side. In this case we use that big pipe for the injector delivery line. This line often connected up with the exhaust from the cold water pump in a Y fitting. In an earlier thread I showed you how to make this fitting. It may have been back in the New York Central Hudson thread. Both engines had the same sort of piping arrangement. Here is also a photo of the stoker engine without an injector hidden inside. My newest little trinket. I just happen to have a couple extra dummy stoker engines if you are interested.
Jack
Attachments
StokerInjector.jpg
StokerInjector2.jpg
Stoker.jpg

DJSteamer3017

Post by DJSteamer3017 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:01 am

Jack,

I'm liking the Baloney your putting on the Hudson. Really looking forward to seeing it complete. Will the injector be controlled with the same Quick Start Valve from SuperScale?

Below I attach a pic of a Lackawanna Hudson not sure of its 1154, but it's a Hudson.
Keep on Steamin' My friend!!

David
Attachments
image.jpg
The 1" Scale Junkie ... But steam of all sizes is cool with me!!
"If you can dream it, you can do it" - Walt Disney

Highiron

Post by Highiron » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:46 am

DJSteamer3017 wrote:Jack,

Will the injector be controlled with the same Quick Start Valve from SuperScale?

David

David

No, the injectors will not be operated with SuperScale valves, I have a small stash of the proper pull handle LS valve and that is what we will be using they can be seen in one of the pictures Jack posted of the backhead

I think the picture you posted is of 1151

here is 1154 as we are modleing her before the modified sand boxes were installed

Mike
Attachments
1154.jpg