Steam Loco Headlight Reflector

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

ccvstmr

Steam Loco Headlight Reflector

Post by ccvstmr »

Just tried out a new headlight lamp in my 10 wheeler headlight. Someone pointed out that PR16 lamps (like those used in 12volt cordless flashlights) will work great with the 12 volt power supply I use for cab lights, air brakes and other powered accessories. Lots of light now too! Problem...good lighting produces lots of heat and that heat already began to "craze" the plastic flashlight reflector after 30-45 minutes of use. Most flashlights these days use the plastic type reflectors...so, does anyone know where metal flashlight reflectors would be available? Any and all ideas welcome. Tx in advance. cb
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
GeorgeGaskill

Maybe make your own from thin stainless ...

Post by GeorgeGaskill »

steel sheet and polish it shiny?
Bill_Gardei

Re: Steam Loco Headlight Reflector

Post by Bill_Gardei »

cb:

Maybe see what MagLite uses for reflectors. That's
the premium quality machined and knurled aluminum
flashlight that sells for much more $$$ than anything
else.

BG
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Go to your local hardware store and check into their selection of Malibu lights ( used for 12V landscape illumination). I found one which has metal reflector, casing and shade all the right size ready to install for only $10 and change.
Bruce_Mowbray

Post by Bruce_Mowbray »

Aluminum polishes up real shiney too. Attachment is a good look at my headlight. Incidently, the case and top are machined for solid aluminum bar.
Bruce Mowbray
Springville & Southern RR
TMB Manufacturing & Locomotive Works
willy

Post by willy »

On my loco I learned from the Adirondack Live Steamers to go over to Home Depot and get the 12v halogen lights (mr11, mr16 are available for about $8 each) they sell for recessed lighting. They come with a reflector already and just need a adapter ring to center it in your headlamp mount. They have plenty of light and you can get them in two different sizes. Plus the reflector lets some light off of the side so if you have side #'s in the light they will be lit too!

-willy-
Mikado14

Post by Mikado14 »

Carl,

Harse environment flashlights, such as those used in chemical plants, still require a metal reflector. Do a google and see who sells them.

Ron
Chris_W

Post by Chris_W »

Are you sure the number is PR16? I've installed several dozen fixtures that use MR16 halogen bulbs, the ones with a built in reflector, on a large motor yacht without any problems. They do put out a lot of heat but we keep the area around the lights clear of insulation to prevent problems. The ones we use come in 20 to 75 watt, with or without a lens. Is there room for ventilation behind the reflector?
Allen_from_CHT

Post by Allen_from_CHT »

Time to learn a few tricks about metal spinning in a lathe? I think there is a $7-8 reprint booklet available on this. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/laugh.gif"%20alt="[/img]
UnkaJesse

Post by UnkaJesse »

Allen, Lindsay is the one who has the metal spinning book. At one time I thought I would spin the brass diamond stack for my RRSC American. Even went to a metal spinning shop and the guy showed me how to do it. He was making, believe it or not, reflectors for recessed lights of some sort. He could really whip them things out in a hurry. I finally bought the stack from Chet Peterson at RRSC as I bet Bruce did on his American. That headlight sure looks familiar too, Bruce. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/wink.gif"%20alt="[/img]

Unka (did spin a few things to get the hang of it [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/cool.gif"%20alt="[/img]) Jesse
"The same hammer that breaks the glass, forges the steel" Russian proverb
ng262_262

Post by ng262_262 »

Good looking headlight , Bruce. This in conjunction with a couple of your earlier posts and methinks you have an unlimited source of aluminum for your raw material!!
Brian
Bruce_Mowbray

Post by Bruce_Mowbray »

Jesse,
The headlight was milled to size per the RR supply prints. I couldn't afford to buy the castings at the time so I carved it out of a block of scrap aluminum that I had on hand. Almost all of the parts on this locomotive were made from barstock. Only the wheels, cylinders, and cab floor are castings. After buying those, I ran out of "hobby money".
Actually, I spun my own stack halves too. (after reading Lidsay Publications book on the subject and re-reading it 2 more times) The hardest part was getting the flange flat where the top and bottom sections join together. No matter what I tried, it always seemed to come out wobbly. So, in the end, I sat the halves flange side down on a piece of steel plate and beat them into submission with a hardwood block. It was harder to spin the rear cylinder head covers with the double step. I should have just turned those out of solid brass. I cheated on the front covers and made a drawing die for those.
Bruce Mowbray
Springville & Southern RR
TMB Manufacturing & Locomotive Works