Need suggestions on dealing with a small leak.

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

gwrdriver

Re: Need suggestions on dealing with a small leak.

Post by gwrdriver »

gwerhart0800 wrote:and the original boiler manufacturer did test to 2x. (and amazingly did not see the leak that I currently have!!!)
George,
This isn't unheard of. The usual culprit is a spec of hardened or burned flux which wasn't removed by the pickling process, holds on through the initial testing process, and eventually dissolves and leaves a microscopic hole. It's happened to me (as a builder.) I usually use peining or ginger to take care of it. The LAST option on your list should be re-silver soldering, in some situations due to the potential for dislodging something internally which can't be repaired.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

WOW! your suggestion of not fixing a fault goes against everything I know, especially the statement of 'do not solder- again'.

Come on, Frequently resoldering a part, not right, is the only answer to getting things tight and right. easy at the build stage, much harder, and disappointing, during a run.

I have stated my case. Thanks.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
gwerhart0800

Post by gwerhart0800 »

steamin10 wrote:WOW! your suggestion of not fixing a fault goes against everything I know, especially the statement of 'do not solder- again'.
Clearly, this is a "religious" issue with some folks and I was not intending to start some kind of flame war. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Gwrdriver has built plenty of copper boilers of varying sizes and is entitled to his opinion on the issue ... just as you are entitled to yours.

My personal view is that since I have no idea what solder was originally used (thus, I don't know the melt temperature) and the manufacturer (Cheddar Models, UK) is no longer in business to ask. I would think it prudent to avoid trying to re-solder to fix the issue as it could cause more problems than it might fix. If it is really caused by some burnt or hardened flux, then it is also possible that any reheating or re-solder would not solve the problem anyway. I attended a holiday party for one of my local clubs on Saturday and most of them were surprised that I wanted to fix the leak (more of a weep) in the first place. Most of them thought it would seal up on it's own because of solids disolved in the our water anyway. (I know that would be true back in Ohio on my well water!)

I will be having a deeper discussion with the boiler inspector for the Colorado Live Steamers about his feelings on the matter. I will attempt the punch repair, if that does not work, I will see if it will stop up on it's own.

BTW, the 1924 ASME code boiler on my traction engine is sound, but the fittings leak like a sieve until she warms up. After that, she is tight as a drum.
George Erhart
Loveland, CO
https://lovelandcreatorspace.com
loggerhogger

Post by loggerhogger »

If you do elect to heat and re- silver solder, you might try some of the heat sink materials that are out there to keep the heat localized. Check with your local welding supply house.