CliShay Book update

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Lovesthedrive

CliShay Book update

Post by Lovesthedrive »

I wrote to Neil and Clover and here is the update. I figured it should be shared with the rest of the steaming community.
Hello,

Thanks for the note!

Lu (the artist) and I are waiting for 3 to 5 photos (electronic, from slides) to return from the camera shop here in town.

That will finish the book. We’re 30 minutes from the prepress department after the photos arrive, and half a day from the press – my rough estimate.

Once it is printed (and that doesn’t take long, either, even accounting for commercial work in the queue), it’s off to be spiral bound.

Christmas is twenty days from today… I can’t promise, but I’m keeping a positive outlook. There were moments during the book’s development when I seriously questioned it would ever leave my desktop. Where we are right now is wonderful!

The book production to this point presented any number of obstacles; for one, I hadn’t expected to have to create a Bill of Materials. I knew it would be a benefit to Clishay builders; Neil agreed and proofread my work. The BOM is five book pages in length (small print) – and to be viewed as a “cautious” aid to construction. In 30 years of editing metalworking magazines/books, if memory serves me, I’ve never undertaken a BOM – at least of this magnitude.

Thanks for your interest in the CliShay, and your involvement in the hobby.

Clover
1969 MF 40 Industrial
8thscale

Re: CliShay Book update

Post by 8thscale »

It has made it to the on-line store!

https://secure.villagepress.com/store/i ... /item/2536
Oilcan

Post by Oilcan »

Yes, it has been posted in the on-line store in preparation for the first shipments. As of yesterday, the pages and covers have been run and are going to the collating department. It's getting close!

Neil
Editor Emeritus - Live Steam & Outdoor Railroading
Allen Mogul under construction
Electric RS3
Stationary Steam
SZuiderveen

Post by SZuiderveen »

Oooooooooooh. . . . . . .I can't wait!

Steve
<-------------------
Lovesthedrive

Post by Lovesthedrive »

Ah but we must wait as it is in back order.
1969 MF 40 Industrial
8thscale

Post by 8thscale »

I declared my interest by placing an order today.
Dave
David_T

Post by David_T »

The wait is almost over! :D Try this. Make the frame 2 inches wider and 2 inches longer to make room for Uncle Jesse's Newbie boiler. Then go get two cylinders and valve gear from Kozo's New Shay. Scale up 2x times, of course. Mix with the original engine's look. Now you have a reversible engine.
Lovesthedrive

Post by Lovesthedrive »

The 0-4-0 I did was a 15 inch width with a 32 inch long frame. and it had a reversible engine.

I remember talking to a Jim Alves when I lived in So. Cal. He used to say that making it a 48 inch frame was better. For the lack of grey cells I dont remember why. I think he used some 1/2" plate on the base for better traction and a porcupine boiler.
-------------------
On a side note. Village Press (called them today) thought the back order may be filled by mid January.
1969 MF 40 Industrial
jyoung

Post by jyoung »

Well... My copy of "Building the CliShay" by Bob Maynard arrived today. It is spiral bound and 106 glossy pages. I'm glad to (finally!) have it, but I confess I was hoping more would be included regarding other folk's modifications such a a fire-tube boiler. There is a section on a new forward/reverse mechanism. An index would have been nice as well, but I am generally satisfied...
bcody

Post by bcody »

If you want information on building a fire tube boiler I would suggest you get a copy of the plans for Bill Conner's Beam engine. Bill's designs are available from David Phillips,
david5171@netzero.com
or phone 517-262-8413 or 517-688-5024

I had a 10 inch diameter fire tube propane fired boiler on my CliShay.

BTW - Last I heard my CliShay engine is running at LALS.

Bill Cody
Lovesthedrive

Post by Lovesthedrive »

jyoung wrote:Well... My copy of "Building the CliShay" by Bob Maynard arrived today. It is spiral bound and 106 glossy pages. I'm glad to (finally!) have it, but I confess I was hoping more would be included regarding other folk's modifications such a a fire-tube boiler. There is a section on a new forward/reverse mechanism. An index would have been nice as well, but I am generally satisfied...
The firetube boiler I did for Ray Cad did not have a wet leg. I remember it got quite toasty on the ends of our shoes when going up the grade. I also seem to remember that we burned wood for fuel.
Attachments
CLISHAY12.jpg
1969 MF 40 Industrial
David_T

Post by David_T »

Uncle Jesse's Newbie boiler in Nov/Dec 2004 Live Steam. Very nice little fire tube boiler from 10" pipe, propane fired. Could be scaled down to 8" pipe, but no guarantees it will steam well enough, as the Newbie engine is about the same bore and stroke as the Clishay. Maybe Uncle will chime in with some words of wisdom.