Building a Power Model Water Pump

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

FLSTEAM

Re: Building a Power Model Water Pump

Post by FLSTEAM »

I had one of those. It worked fine up to 100 lbs. but I run at 125 so not good for me.

JB
Builder01

Post by Builder01 »

Your injector looks quite normal. That elbow on the bottom for the water supply could be a problem, I've been told that the steam and water supply like to have sweeping turns in the piping. Elbows can cause restriction or resistance. But if it works, don't bother. If you are having problems, this is something to consider.

David
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

The Penberthy drawing is the full size but the Ohlenkamp was a direct scale down from it and the Superscale is very similar.

Some people call it a "delivery cone check", I've always heard it called a start valve.

Builder01 wrote:Interesting!! Looks like the "American" type is also vertical instead of horizontal. Are the miniature American types really fabricated like the drawing, or, is this for a full size? This would seem unnecessarily complicated to make in miniature.

Looks like the over flow check ball has fallen out of the cut away injector. Nothing to keep it in once cut in half!

English types are also available in vertical and look pretty much the same. Since both devices do the same thing, there is not really much difference. I suspected as much.

David
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
Phil Tucker

Post by Phil Tucker »

Greg_Lewis wrote:
Bill Shields wrote:an injector is an injector is an injector.

they all work on the same principle:

part science
part black magic
What gets me is how old Hank Giffard figured it out in the first place. Back in 1858 they didn't have the computers and scientific instruments we have today to do much of the brain work. What motivated him to try, and, considering how finicky these things can be, how did he get it right and not give up?
Intuition. He simply knew it would work, even though nobody else did. It's one of the things that separates the great inventors from us mere mortals. I believe he had a difficult time getting others to take the idea seriously at first, as it was so unconventional at that time.

Incidentally Telsa described something similar in his writing -- he was able to perfectly visualize his AC motors running even before the prototype was built, despite the fact that it totally defied conventional wisdom at the time, similar to Giffard's injector.
jma1009

Post by jma1009 »

Hi John,

The pic of your injector posted on 21st June is a gunmetal casting with 'KB' on the left hand side.

They were sold by Kennion Brothers of Hertfordshire UK from the mid 1950s till around 1980.

They were made by Arthur Grimmett of the Isle of Wight, who also supplied injectors to Reeves in Birmingham UK.

Arthur retired around 1980. All the tooling and copyright still exists. Arthur's injectors were based on the 'Linden' injectors made by E J Linden, Arthur taking over manufacture after Ted died. Arthur died in 1997 at the age of 86.

The medium sized injectors made by Arthur of approx 26 oz per min delivery are excellent.

Cheers,
Julian