Westinghouse cross compound air compressor

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Greg_Lewis

Re: Westinghouse cross compound air compressor

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Garry:

You might try tracking down Warrick Sandberg. He has two-cyl pumps, albeit not the type you're looking for, and might have a source for you. Here's his website:
http://www.hugin.com.au/modelrail/
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Howard Gorin

Post by Howard Gorin »

I am working on the molds purchased from Superpower Detail for the 1.5" Scale Westinghouse CC Air Pump.
At this time I have done test runs of the two cylinder castings, the bottom casting of the air cylinder and the connecting manifold that attaches to the top and bottom of the two air cylinder heads. I have also made some of the other parts on a screw machine, the packing glands, the packing gland packing nuts, the hexagonal valve caps, the drain plugs for the air cylinders and the tee bolts.
I have waxes for the casting that connects the air and steam cylinders ready to go the the foundry. The investment castings are being done in bronze, 85% copper, 5% tin, 5% zinc, 5% lead an alloy much easier to machine then silicon bronze
LSGOD

Post by LSGOD »

As I recall Stoney Burke said his patterns for the compressors were destroyed in a fire. I haven't heard from Stoney for several years. My compressors should be available as soon as I receive some castings from the foundry. Contact me for details. Jim Kreider does not have compressors available. He wanted to use mine on his Berk but there was not enough room. The late Barney Barningham used my compressor castings to build working water and air pumps. My son Don has one of the water pumps on his SP GS1.

LSGOD
Hudson Honey

Post by Hudson Honey »

I would like a set when available Ed.

Thank You,

Pamela
Howard Gorin

Post by Howard Gorin »

Pam, you can have as many as you as you want.
Can you design a working pump?
I have also made other parts, packing glands and nuts.
Hexagonal valve caps.
Air cylinder drain plugs.
Threaded valve plugs.
Maybe you know this already.
I can also make other parts when I can get some qualified designs.
Regards, HG :D :D :D
GS14403

Post by GS14403 »

I put some pictures of the Compressors that my dad makes on my Flickr page, you should be able to see them here.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dyungling/ ... 629689578/
One of Barney Barningham water pumps is shown in a couple of the pictures.

Donald
PSeyfrit

Post by PSeyfrit »

A nonworking pump is now offered as a 3d print from Shapways.
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/ddi

It is from a company called LOCOMOTIVE GOLD

http://locomotivegold.com/
Paul
Maryland
Club website http://calslivesteam.org
Fender

Post by Fender »

I looked at the pump on the Shapeways site and see that it is offered in 1.5", 1.6", 1" and 3/4" scale versions. Material is plastic or stainless steel/bronze matrix. He also offers brake hangers, etc.
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
boomerralph

Post by boomerralph »

Hudson Honey wrote:I would like a set when available Ed.

Thank You,

Pamela

Pam, Hi, How about a group compressor build like the power reverser. If you are interested, I'm in.
Also a water pump if you can design one.

Ralph
Ralph M. Reese
St. Augustine, FL
Under Construction
LE Pacific
Allen 10 Wheeler
Loco112

Post by Loco112 »

John_S wrote:
LivingLegend wrote: That would be Stoney Burke who made the pumps in Australia back in the very late 1970's and the 1980's. The last time I saw Stoney was at the 1985 IBLS International Meet at LALS. As I recall, Stoney was living in the Atlanta area at that time. Don't know where he is these days, or if he still has anything to do with the pumps. (Tom Miller has two of them on his Big Boy.)

LL
Stoney used to hang out at our old North Georgia Live Steamers railroad in Duluth, Georgia. He's ... quite the character... I haven't seen him since the early 1990's.
Actually, Stoney Burke organized the deal for 2 compressors and Tom Miller committed early to buy those 2 at a fair price. Somehow, the Ausi Gov got involvled and offered to subsidized the project for its export value (to the USA) on a production run of 20 compressors, and promised to save Stoney a large fraction of the total tab. Tom agreed to take the 20, and they were in on the deal. Without that Gov money matching offer, the project might not have been attempted. The pattern work and everything was done by another Ausi named Warwick Sandberg. Through the years after the pumps were delivered Tom Miller bought back most of those original 20 pumps and modified them to his later specs. Thats all the way Stoney told me about it, about 10 years ago.

Warwick Sandberg still makes single cylinder compressor pumps in AUS as we speak, he has a web page so look him up, he's a great guy.
binnaway

Post by binnaway »

Does anybody have any photos of the pumps that Stoney made from Warwick Sanberg castings. Does Tom Miller have any details of the pumps? I am in Australia and would like to find out some of the history of those original pumps.

Garry
Loco112 wrote:
John_S wrote:
LivingLegend wrote: That would be Stoney Burke who made the pumps in Australia back in the very late 1970's and the 1980's. The last time I saw Stoney was at the 1985 IBLS International Meet at LALS. As I recall, Stoney was living in the Atlanta area at that time. Don't know where he is these days, or if he still has anything to do with the pumps. (Tom Miller has two of them on his Big Boy.)

LL
Stoney used to hang out at our old North Georgia Live Steamers railroad in Duluth, Georgia. He's ... quite the character... I haven't seen him since the early 1990's.
Actually, Stoney Burke organized the deal for 2 compressors and Tom Miller committed early to buy those 2 at a fair price. Somehow, the Ausi Gov got involvled and offered to subsidized the project for its export value (to the USA) on a production run of 20 compressors, and promised to save Stoney a large fraction of the total tab. Tom agreed to take the 20, and they were in on the deal. Without that Gov money matching offer, the project might not have been attempted. The pattern work and everything was done by another Ausi named Warwick Sandberg. Through the years after the pumps were delivered Tom Miller bought back most of those original 20 pumps and modified them to his later specs. Thats all the way Stoney told me about it, about 10 years ago.

Warwick Sandberg still makes single cylinder compressor pumps in AUS as we speak, he has a web page so look him up, he's a great guy.
Tom Miller

Post by Tom Miller »

Hello everyone,
Most of what has been posted here about the original Sandberg/Burke compressors is correct. I did modify all the imported compressors to a better shuttle valve design that Dick Bagley and I worked out. Mine are still running perfectly after some 30 years. I have since sold all the other compressors I imported after modifying them.
About 13 years ago Barney Barningham and I built 3 working cross compound compressors in 2 1/2" scale for my K-36's. They too have the improved valve design and are working perfectly to this day.
Building working compressors is a time consuming, meticulous project that requires precise machining and a lot of care. Very similar to the projects Hudson Honey has taken on with great success.
Over the years I have dealt with most of the pitfalls in building working models.
I would be pleased to help anyone interested in such a project any way I can.
Happy Steaming
Tom Miller