Propane burner suggestions for 6" vertical boiler

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Doug_S

Re: Propane burner suggestions for 6" vertical boiler

Post by Doug_S »

This is what I have come up with for a burner. I made 6 Marty Burners and arranged them on a manifold. The wood block is the size of the ID of the firebox for comparison only. When I get the rest of my propane parts, I'll fire it up and see what happens. I'm not sure I like the bare spot in the middle but we'll see.

Doug
Attachments
burner.JPG
burner.JPG (39.27 KiB) Viewed 1778 times
bcody

Post by bcody »

Make another burner and mount it in the center. You can never have too much heat. I remember from years ago when my children were playing with R/C airplanes I told them to install the largest engine available. You can always back off the throttle if its more than you need but when its wide open and you need more - TOUGH.

BTW - When you make your fuel manifold I suggest you use a 1/8" ball valve for main fire and a needle valve to regulate the pilot fire. I just make mine from brass fittings. Be sure to install a source pressure gauge to monitor the regulator pressure.

Bill
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

Doug, I agree with Bill. Get a burner in the center. The extra heat is always a bonus, but more so, that extra burner will fill the "cold air hole" in the center of all your heat. You probably have enough pipe in the center to drill and tap an 1/8" pipe thread hole for the extra burner. By the way...nice burner arrangement.

You might also consider a baffle plate. The baffle plate should be supported on risers that put the baffle above the primary air holes near the base of the burners, but below your slotted caps...and wall-to-wall in the firebox. A flat plate with holes to go around the burners will work, but I think a piece of perforated screen does a better job (with larger holes to fit over that burner caps. You might have to experiment with the different hole size materials. Aluminum perforated metal works without risk of melting. Hope this helps. Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!