Trailing truck booster

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

dolfa

Trailing truck booster

Post by dolfa »

Hi,
has anyone built and used a trailing truck booster? I have read an old article written by LBSC and he mentioned building one for his 2.5'' gauge American Pacific.
I'm building a 5'' gauge Pacific made by Canadian loco company which had a booster and I'd like to build one.
Dolfa
Smokey N Steamer

Re: Trailing truck booster

Post by Smokey N Steamer »

I know cbrew made an operating TENDER booster, so theoretically a trailing-truck booster should be possible. I don't know if it's been done already or not. If you look at the back of the ICS Steam Firing textbook there are some descriptions of the various components.
Highiron

Post by Highiron »

The Berkshire I had that was built by the Late Dick Thomas had a working booster, very serious steam hog would run you out of steam in about 100 feet
Attachments
MikeV.Train004.jpg
dolfa

Post by dolfa »

Sounds, that a booster is not a good idea.
Dolfa
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

boosters are only for starting the train, not running very long. The booster does provide enough effort to help start my train on any grade at Train Mountain
here is some videos

If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
KarlKobel

Post by KarlKobel »

I plan on adding a booster to the 2-8-2 Mikado I'm building (Milwaukee Road, L3a).
I have the beginnings of the CAD work done, but it is by no means done (I don't even know if it will fit).
It's not a high priority item.
I plan on publishing it when complete.

There is some good info, including piping, in the 1922 Locomotive Cyclopedia from Rail Driver (no affiliation).

Karl
www.karlkobel.com
Attachments
Booster.JPG
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

very cool Karl,
if i was to do it again i would change a few things,
number one is to go with a steeper gear ratio (currently 1.5 to 1)
the biggest challenge is to get enough hot steam to the rear truck of the tender.
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
dwilloughby

Post by dwilloughby »

I believe LL can shed some light on the subject. As I recall their was a member at LALS that had built a 4 wheel trailer truck that had a booster engine. Last name was Smith, but I do not recall the first name.
dolfa

Post by dolfa »

Wow, thank you Cbrew for showing us your videos. A lot of power. I like the steam effects.I've got an instruction book on The locomotive Booster printed 1927 and it describes two boosters- one for 2wheel truck and the other for 4 wheel one. I will try to build one for 2wheel, similar to Karl's.
Dolfa
dolfa

Post by dolfa »

I was wrong. In the book there are two similar boosters and both can drive 2 wheel and 4wheel trailing truck and also tender truck.
Dolfa
KarlKobel

Post by KarlKobel »

I have a book with the same title copyrighted 1942 by the Franklin Railway Supply Co. subtitled Instruction Book No. 142-A

I gleaned a lot of details for my model from this book.

Karl
dolfa

Post by dolfa »

It looks that type C-2 has better idle gear rocker, but on the type C-1 the front and back of the cylinder heads are removable and would be easier to machine.
Dolfa