new West Valley baby consolidation now in steam

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Spiner

Re: new West Valley baby consolidation now in steam

Post by Spiner »

I know that there are at least 2 of the mikados that Julian was involved with building down at Ridge Live Steamers in Florida.
www.chaski.com
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

Harlock wrote:Thanks for the nice photo of the Florida engine. They look like nice looking models.

-Mike
The black one in the original post is nice, but the plow and lack of domes makes it appear unbalanced and stark in appearance. More brawn then glitter.

The red one is really classy looking.
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"
FLtenwheeler

Post by FLtenwheeler »

Spiner wrote:I know that there are at least 2 of the mikados that Julian was involved with building down at Ridge Live Steamers in Florida.
Julian was the lead in the building of the 4 logging Mikados. He also built a 2-1/2" scale K-28.

Tim
He who dies with the most unfinished projects: Should of put more time into their hobby.
fl_mikado

Post by fl_mikado »

Tim,

As I now own Julian's Mikado and have access to the design drawings he provided me. The drawings indicate the Mikado drivers were from RR Supply Mogul castings.

FRED
kenrinc

Post by kenrinc »

Mike,

Nice description of the atomizer sound. That sound bugs me :mrgreen: LOL Seems every 1.5" scale oil burning model I've been around always has that characteristic "thumpata thumpata" sound which has always pushed me away from burning oil in a model. Sounds like you got your head wrapped around what's happening.

My father and I were involved in the West Valley LS way way back and I remember when this project took flight. I was pretty young then but I have a few recollections of the group talking about it's design at some of the meetings. I was actually surprised when you guys started talking about them because I couldn't remember if any of them were ever built! Nice to see another one in steam. Old Ace is my fave. Thing barks like an old mule... LOL

Ken-
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

Benjamin Maggi wrote: The black one in the original post is nice, but the plow and lack of domes makes it appear unbalanced and stark in appearance. More brawn then glitter.

I should probably mention that the cosmetic bits are extremely unfinished at this point, and it is receiving a sand dome and headlamp, among other things.

-Mike
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

kenrinc wrote:Mike,

Nice description of the atomizer sound. That sound bugs me :mrgreen: LOL Seems every 1.5" scale oil burning model I've been around always has that characteristic "thumpata thumpata" sound which has always pushed me away from burning oil in a model. Sounds like you got your head wrapped around what's happening.

My father and I were involved in the West Valley LS way way back and I remember when this project took flight. I was pretty young then but I have a few recollections of the group talking about it's design at some of the meetings. I was actually surprised when you guys started talking about them because I couldn't remember if any of them were ever built! Nice to see another one in steam. Old Ace is my fave. Thing barks like an old mule... LOL

Ken-
Ken, it actually sounds good when you scale up a bit - the 3" scale 9" gauge Mesa Grande Western engines have a throaty roar and the cylinder exhaust is amazing. On smaller engines yea it can sound a little hollow / high pitched.

Personally oil is my least favorite of the three primary fuels, but I have learned to operate it well though many sessions at the MGW. Eber is currently hard over on it so more power to him. :)

Regarding the west valley engines, 17 were started, at least 8 or 9 are in operating condition currently. Next weekend there will be the most that has ever been in one place running in a long time at SVLS, probably 5 or 6.

-Mike
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

Harlock wrote:
Benjamin Maggi wrote: The black one in the original post is nice, but the plow and lack of domes makes it appear unbalanced and stark in appearance. More brawn then glitter.

I should probably mention that the cosmetic bits are extremely unfinished at this point, and it is receiving a sand dome and headlamp, among other things.

-Mike
Then I await its future appearance! :)
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"
DianneB

Post by DianneB »

Harlock wrote:
kenrinc wrote: ... it actually sounds good when you scale up a bit - the 3" scale 9" gauge Mesa Grande Western engines have a throaty roar and the cylinder exhaust is amazing. On smaller engines yea it can sound a little hollow / high pitched.
I built an oil burner for my 1/2 scale Russell a few years ago (firebox about 12" cube) and it was amazing! In open air, it was so clean you couldn't see the flame, almost no visible smoke, and it was very quiet. When I put it in the firebox of the Russell, it sounded like a jet engine! It was so loud that it was difficult to have a conversation :( What shame! Instead of an hour and a half to steam, I had steam in 20 minutes and it was easy to control the heat. Unfortunately the noise was unacceptable so the oil burner came out.
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

I couldn't remember the names of the people who built the Florida locomotives, but now that It has been mentioned, I remember seeing Julian Van Sickle's locomotive up here at the Mid-South track years ago. That's the one that I remember. I remember him telling me that he had increased the stroke, and put in a really fat piston to take up the remainder. They seemed like really good runners at the time, quite powerful for their size.

Thanks for the update on that. I know that I haven't seen one of those in about 15 years probably.
KyleFlanigan

Post by KyleFlanigan »

Hello, recently joined this chat room as it is the only place I have been able to find info on the West Valley engines. We currently own one we bought on ebay almost two years ago from a guy in Oregon and about one month ago was able to run it under its own power for the first time. We rebuilt everything on it as it had a lot of issues. Everything that could be taken apart was taken apart, cleaned, and fixed if necessary. We also lengthened the running boards 3 inches beyond the back of the firebox and moved the cab back 3 inches also and built an entire new riveted tender that is a few inches longer and an inch or so taller than the original. All these modifications make it look larger than all the other west valley engines. We were under the impression that the locomotive was a one-of-a-kind home built locomotive as the ebay listing had nothing but a few pics and a general description. About three or four months ago I was reading a random article on discover live steam and seen a pic of a locomotive very similar looking in appearance to ours. I typed in what the article said the locomotive was and found this chat room. I hope to learn and share more info with everyone and some pictures soon once we finish our west valley engine all the way. It mostly just needs it final paint as it is in primer right now

Kyle Flanigan
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

Hello,

I think I exchanged emails recently with you or your dad, not sure. What I saw was looking good. Glad you found us here.

-Mike