My first locoomotive

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

DianneB

My first locoomotive

Post by DianneB »

It seems like I have been around steam engines for most of my 63 years and have been running traction engines since my early teens. I got my provincial steam ticket in 1992, built a 1/2 scale traction engine in 1995/96, and have run other people's locomotives from time to time over the last 30 years but never had a loco of my own.

I retired last June and a few months ago got the darned fool notion that I ought to have a locomotive. I have always been partial to the 4-4-0 American so I started looking for one. It just happened our friend PostWarBob had one he was willing to part with (when he got done rebuilding it!) so we did a deal and the Little Engines American arrived up here in Manitoba today.

Now all I need is for the darned rain to let up so I can get out to the track! :mrgreen:

Thanks Bob! It has been a real pleasure dealing with you!
Attachments
My first locomotive
My first locomotive
ken572

Re: My first locoomotive

Post by ken572 »

DianneB,

Very Nice indeed. :? 8)

Do you already have a track built on your property
for your new toy?

Ken. :)
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
FredR

Post by FredR »

Congrats on your 'new' loco. Yeah, I love Americans too. Hudsons have a fond place in my heart as well.
But I have to ding you on your railroading ethics...... rain let up?!?!?.... NOTHING should keep you from running :P
Again, congrats!
Fred

DianneB wrote:It seems like I have been around steam engines for most of my 63 years and have been running traction engines since my early teens. I got my provincial steam ticket in 1992, built a 1/2 scale traction engine in 1995/96, and have run other people's locomotives from time to time over the last 30 years but never had a loco of my own.

I retired last June and a few months ago got the darned fool notion that I ought to have a locomotive. I have always been partial to the 4-4-0 American so I started looking for one. It just happened our friend PostWarBob had one he was willing to part with (when he got done rebuilding it!) so we did a deal and the Little Engines American arrived up here in Manitoba today.

Now all I need is for the darned rain to let up so I can get out to the track! :mrgreen:

Thanks Bob! It has been a real pleasure dealing with you!
dolfa

Post by dolfa »

So what happened to the street car you were building? I thought, that the electric propulsion was the way to go. To save time on steaming and then drying the locomotive after the run.
Dolfa.
DianneB

Post by DianneB »

ken572 wrote:Do you already have a track built on your property for your new toy?
I live on 5 acres in a rural area so there is lots of room for a track but I also live on a pension so any track development might be 20 feet at a time :wink:
FredR wrote:..... But I have to ding you on your railroading ethics...... rain let up?!?!?.... NOTHING should keep you from running :P
It just arrived yesterday! I need to make a seat for the tender and mount foot pegs today. If it is still raining tomorrow, the engine might get wet :mrgreen:
dolfa wrote:So what happened to the street car you were building?
That is still under construction - currently working on the bolsters and suspension for the trucks. The streetcar will be awhile yet :(
ken572

Post by ken572 »

DianneB wrote:
ken572 wrote:Do you already have a track built on your property for your new toy?
I live on 5 acres in a rural area so there is lots of room for a track but I also live on a pension so any track development might be 20 feet at a time :wink:
I can relate to that, :lol: I love being retired and doing what I want when I want,
but now the budget does have the final say.. :roll: :lol:

Have fun playin with your toy. :D

Ken. :)
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
Hudson Honey

Post by Hudson Honey »

Congrats,

must feel pretty cool.......now get her out on the rails and share some photos.

I am still at least 2 years out from lighting the fire....... :( one day tho.....

Pamela
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Congrats on the 'merican, they are a lot of fun.

Are you far from an organized (existing) track?

Giggle...

I said '2 years away' for 21 years....

If your math is better than mine, that means 23 years to actually get under steam.

Cheops' first law: EVERYTHING takes longer than planned! :shock:
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
DianneB

Post by DianneB »

Bill Shields wrote:Are you far from an organized (existing) track?
I am just over 1 hour from the Manitoba Live Steamers and the Red River Valley Railway. I first became a member there in 1978 but let my membership lapse for a few years because I didn't have anything to run on the rails. Now I do :)
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

AN HOUR....that is close.

my CLOSEST track is 1.5 hours.

Frequently I go to tracks that are 6+ hrs each way.

Right now, from here in Istanbul to my 'home track'....well it's a LONG WAY, but will be there next weekend! :P
Too many things going on to bother listing them.