How to move a engine down a set of stairs???

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: Harold_V, WJH, cbrew

caseguy

How to move a engine down a set of stairs???

Post by caseguy » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:37 am

I want to store my engine in my basement so I can work on it this winter. You can just carriy something like that and im sure someone has made a rig that I could copie. Any help...

RET

Re: How to move a engine down a set of stairs???

Post by RET » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:48 am

Hi,

If its 3 1/2"gauge and weighs a couple of hundred pounds or less, tie it to a toboggan, collect a couple of friends and slide it down the stairs.

If it weighs 500 to 1,000 pounds, then you have to do a little more thinking and use "comealongs," ropes & pulleys plus more friends. Just think it through carefully before you start so no one gets hurt.

One friend I know had a heavy eyebolt installed at the head of the stairs and made a wedge shaped trolley that rolled on the sides of the stairs. he used that to move a 7 1/4" gauge 4-4-0 up & down his basement stairs which were straight (no landing).

Perhaps others may have better ideas, but that's how I would look at it.

Richard Trounce.

k36no4862002

Post by k36no4862002 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:58 am

What about a stair climbing sack barrow?

http://www.sacktrucksdirect.co.uk/heavy ... truck.html

Paul
Paul Edmonds,
Surrey, United Kingdom.
2.5" Scale D&RGW K36, 1.6" Scale CHallenger 4-6-6-4 (still ongoing)

hammermill

Post by hammermill » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:13 am

look the stairs over and make sure they will support the weight of the engine and 2 husky people.

lay out a couple 4 x 4 and make a plywood sled is a good idea rigging it so it can be moved up and down under control

kcameron

Post by kcameron » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:17 am

This should work for a loco but I've seen it used for moving a lathe.

First a 'track' of a couple of 2x8's laid on the stair treads, laid on the flat side. Blocking added at the base of the rail on the floor to prevent it from moving. The 2x8's have a series of holes drilled in them about every 6 inches for a rebar peg to fit, this is so a cleat of 2x4 with a couple of pegs can hold the load if you need to rest and as a safety so it could only slide 6 inches if your comealong slips.

Next the load is strapped, bolted or whatever to a plywood bottom sled that will slide along the rails. Now the tricky part is to get started you have to place one end of the load over the top but then lift the other end up to match the slope of the stairs. Then at the bottom you have to repeat the deal but jacking up the lower end as it finishes sliding off the stairs. For both these operations ideas like the overhead eye or jacks are very tricky but important for success.

Now a lot of this could be improved if you are doing this each year or more often. Things like making the sled on a triangle design so the loco would be 'level' while going up and down the stairs. While this would make the high end much simpler (think 2 triangles make a rectangle) slipping it off the bottom could be a trick.

So how about mentioning things like size of the load, clearance of the stair width, space around the top or bottom of the stairs, etc... and I think you will get lots of ideas that you can pick the parts that fit your needs and abilities.
-ken cameron
Syracuse Model Railroad Club http://www.SyracuseModelRr.org/
CNY Modelers http://www.cnymod.com/
Finger Lakes Live Steamers http://www.fingerlakeslivesteamers.org/
Member JMRI Developer Team http://www.jmri.org/
mailto: kcameron@twcny.rr.com
In the Upstate New York US area of the world

David Powell

Post by David Powell » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:10 am

I went into the roof space and laid a girder across a few of the beams. The girder was pre drilled with a few 9/16 holes. I fitted a length of all thread through the girder, and the ceiling above the stairs and then screwed a solid Eye on to that. For years I hooked a hand operated winch to that and lifted and lowered stuff that way, more recently I bought a cheap electric winch and now use that. It is a little disconcerting to see a 3 1/2" or 4 3/4" gauge loco or 2" traction engine hanging by its drawbar, but I heve got used to the sight! I reckon the safe load is about 400 lbs, but am seldom anywhere near that. Regards David Powell.

Harlock

Post by Harlock » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:39 am

All of these ideas sound good but also ask Carrdo. I visited him once in Toronto and he took me for the grand tour of people's basement workshops there including his own. I think he had even put a door to midway down his stairs so he could avoid turning the corner in the stairs. He had all kinds of things god never intended to appear in a basement. Motorcycles, machine tools, locomotives, you name it.

Out West we have no basements due to earthquakes. Kind of envious of the extra 'free' space you get by having a whole layer beneath your house.

-M
San Lorezo Flume & Lumber Co. #2 - "Felton"
Live Steam Photography and more - www.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada

LocoJerome

Post by LocoJerome » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:23 pm

If your locomotive is in the 1000lb range the following may be of interest. Otherwise it may be overkill. Although it would be nice for moving machinery as well.

http://www.neidrauer.com/FreightElevator/index.html

Jerome

Steamingdanny

Post by Steamingdanny » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:55 pm

Down is easy... Up is the hard part

Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:15 pm

To move a 12" Atlas lathe I bolted a 2" X 4" crosswise at each end and got the assistance of three friends to each support a corner.

Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:26 am

I have a friend who got Bridgeport into his basement one week while his wife was away.

Cut hole in the roof, living room ceiling and floor. Sistered up all the joists / rafters ahead of time.

Brought in a crane and dropped the lot directly into the basement.

Had all the holes fixed (professionally) before she got home.

Wife was impressed at the new paint job and living room wall to wall carpet he had installed during her absence. She never noticed a bit of damage to the yard, which soon grew in.

Not something for every weekend. Biggest problem was getting neighbors to keep quiet.

My basement has 3 motorcycles, 3 milling machines, hot tub, 3 SB lathes (16" the largest) and all my steam stuff.

Found easiest way was a bulldozer and a ground-level entrance.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.

LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:36 pm

Bill Shields wrote:
My basement has 3 motorcycles, 3 milling machines, hot tub, 3 SB lathes (16" the largest) and all my steam stuff.

Found easiest way was a bulldozer and a ground-level entrance.
We bought a house built into the side of a hill. The basement shop has a garage door allowing big stuff to be moved in easily. Several lathes, a Bridgeport, a Pratt &Whitney horizontal mill, surface grinder and then the toys. Player pianos, pinball machines and a 1927 Indian Scout motorcycle plus two truck loads of pipe organ parts.
Keith