How to move a engine down a set of stairs???

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Steamin

Re: How to move a engine down a set of stairs???

Post by Steamin »

Thanks for the reference!
LocoJerome wrote:If your locomotive is in the 1000lb range the following may be of interest. Otherwise it may be overkill. Although it would be nice for moving machinery as well.

http://www.neidrauer.com/FreightElevator/index.html
The other method I have used (in the same stairwell) involves bracing the staircase with 4x4s under the stringers, making up temporary 'tracks' down the strairs for a cart on wheels (use pre-cut staircase stringers upside down), a cable winch anchored upstairs to raise/lower locomotives and equipment on a cart. Low cost and non-permanent. Pictures of that setup can be found halfway through this rebuild log: http://www.neidrauer.com/bridgeport/index.html

Steamin
James Powell

Post by James Powell »

Clearly, the lot of you are missing the best idea of all as to how to get a railway engine down a flight of stairs...

:twisted: :twisted:

I spoke to dad about it, Harry used a 4x purchase rope pulley system to move Britannia up and down his stairs. I know there is a photo of him doing so.

We (dad and I) used to pick up an end and manhandle 2" model traction engine & roller up and down the stairs. That was when I was about 9-10 years old. Before that, dad did it on his own.

I just pick up the boxes and walk out with them- but I'm still a strapping young lad, and a 120 lb engine isn't the heaviest thing I have to move around on a regular basis.

James
Lovesthedrive

Post by Lovesthedrive »

Try lots of helium balloons?

Seriously.

What we should be asking..... What do you have for access at present? Windows? Cellar stairs? Are the cellar stairs cast (to the outside)? How big / long is your locomotive?

Having particulars will help alot in figuring out what can be done.

Something I liked seeing ws at the track in southern New Hampshire. They had a hand powered battery operated forklift that was good for lifting locomotives out of vehicles. Yet you had to move it around by hand.

If your cellar access isnt precast steps. There was a fellow over on Verona Isle that had the storm doors over the cellar entry. Yet his stairs were removable (they were on wheels). So when he wanted something in the basement John (Metzger) would open the basement access and slide the stairs out of the hole to the outside. If you had one of those lifts that raised say 10 feet from the floor. That would get you 4 feet higher than ground level outside. Granted you would want some out riggers when you raise it that high to keep your locomotive from crashing down into the basement.
1969 MF 40 Industrial
David Powell

Post by David Powell »

Dad has not been so keen on carrying engines down flights of stairs since he and Mhari's 2" scale roller had a race to see which could reach the bottom of a flight of stairs first. Fortunately the roller won, the flywheel has had a barely perceptible wobble ever since. However, the far worse problem was that the dirt and rust in the steel boiler found its way into the cylinder. I remember spending most of that night reboring and refacing so that we could attend the event the next day! Last week Britannia came home in her custom made carrying box, a total weight of 130 lbs,I had a helper, we used the electric winch to lower the box and my helper simply guided it. Hope this serves as a helpful warning. Been there done that and NOT going to do it again! Regards David Powell.
caseguy

Post by caseguy »

What I have is a Little engine 060 and I can go from my garage on to a landing and then down 8-10 steps. Some of what I seen posted is what I was going to try. My thought was to make a wedge shaped sled and some how slide that down the stairs to my stand. the step are strong. so far Ive gotten two lathes down them. Thanks to all that took time to post.
caseguy

Post by caseguy »

Steamin , you built just what I was planning on building. You have the same type of landing too.
Lovesthedrive

Post by Lovesthedrive »

caseguy wrote:What I have is a Little engine 060 and I can go from my garage on to a landing and then down 8-10 steps. Some of what I seen posted is what I was going to try. My thought was to make a wedge shaped sled and some how slide that down the stairs to my stand. the step are strong. so far Ive gotten two lathes down them. Thanks to all that took time to post.
On that wedge sled. If you placed angle iron on the steps and secured it to the walls with screws. Then the angle iron would act as tracks for the sled. Then all you need is some form of winch to control the raising or lowering.
1969 MF 40 Industrial