Cleaning an engine?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

DianneB

Cleaning an engine?

Post by DianneB »

I have a L.E. American that is such a pretty little engine but after a day's running it comes home all speckled with water marks and steam cylinder oil. I am wondering what I can use to wash the engine down before polishing the brass (with Brasso) and Turtle Waxing the painted surfaces.

Has anybody used automotive 'engine shampoo' and a steam engine? Just hot soapy water? What works and doesn't harm the paint?

What do others use?

click here
Soot n' Cinders

Re: Cleaning an engine?

Post by Soot n' Cinders »

One of the most common practices I see is people attaching a homemade wand to the blowdown valve and just use the remaining steam pressure and hot water to clean the engine.
-Tristan

Projects
-2.5" scale Class A 20 Ton Shay

Steam Siphon: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/leavitt ... tive-works
James Powell

Post by James Powell »

I believe, the best tool for cleaning engines is called "small children", there is only one bad thing about them...then they get clean in the bathroom, and leave the bathroom a mess ! :mrgreen:

No real good suggestions, although it has been kicked around on traction talk, as to various ways to clean full sized engines. Anything that _will_ remove the dirt, _may_ remove paint too...

James
FLSTEAM

Post by FLSTEAM »

WD40 and wipe it down.

John B.
Steve Bratina

Post by Steve Bratina »

Best method is to spray the engine with an air gun and diesel fuel. Use as much as you can and make sure the vapor cloud is visible from a satellite.
mjahn

Post by mjahn »

Just pre-clean the kids with a swimming pool... ;)
Mattaniah Jahn

Matt Corps. Railsystems,
operating on the Manatee Central RR
http://www.flickr.com/photos/62441046@N06/sets/
Hudson Honey

Post by Hudson Honey »

Hello Dianne,

Use a strong concentration of simple greem in a spray bottle. Spray it down good.....let it work for a bit. Hose it down with water........low pressure compressed air to dry it off. Windex to remove sny streaks left by simple green. Wax and brasso to finish.......however......never dull works better on brass.

Pamela
bcody

Post by bcody »

I use GUNK which I get at an auto supply store in a pressurized can to clean the mechanical parts and PLEDGE furniture polish to do the painted surfaces.

BTW - I don't clean my engine until I'm ready to go back to the track and run. Leaving the oil, etc. on the engine keeps it from rusting.

Bill
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

James Powell wrote:I believe, the best tool for cleaning engines is called "small children", there is only one bad thing about them...then they get clean in the bathroom, and leave the bathroom a mess !
That was the job of my two brothers and me when we were kids. We washed up in the bathroom at PVLS.

Polishing with Brasso was done on the kitchen counter at home.

My mom said that if people knew what had been cooked in our pots and on our stove, and cleaned in our sink, they would never eat at our house.

Steve
LivingLegend

Post by LivingLegend »

Old timers used kerosene and a siphon blow gun nozzle.

LL
Do it right.... Or don't do it at all
I have no life. Therefore, I have a hobby
It's not that I'm apathetic, I just flat don't care
An Intellectual is nothing more than an Over-Educated IDIOT
Blogs: Where people with nothing to say..... Say it
PSeyfrit

Post by PSeyfrit »

Kerosene and a siphon blow gun are still used at CALS for the cleaning at the track.
Paul
Maryland
Club website http://calslivesteam.org
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

James Powell wrote: Anything that _will_ remove the dirt, _may_ remove paint too...
Sorry, but I must disagree.

Can you say Stoddard solvent? Mineral spirits? Neither will remove paint that is cured.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.