Trouble posting pictures with text

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

UnkaJesse

Re: Trouble posting pictures with text

Post by UnkaJesse »

Harold, you didn't tell me that you were into telescopes, but I suppose that nice looking focusing device is for you and not someone else? I have a Meade 60 with "go to" device in it, but hardly ever get to use the thing. So many trees around here that I can't get a bead on the zero stars so I have to hand operate it. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/frown.gif"%20alt="[/img]

Unka (far see) Jesse
"The same hammer that breaks the glass, forges the steel" Russian proverb
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Hey Unk,
Actually, that device was made for an employee at the planetarium in Utah. Long story, but he had coveted a Clark telescope that was owned by another, but was not for sale. The owner of the Clark contacted me and asked if I could reproduce the focusing device with minor alterations, a larger lens, for example. The rest is history. The fellow that ended up with the device was so pleased that he had my name engraved on it as the builder. It is for an 8" telescope and the device I built accommodates a 2" eyepiece, unlike the Clark, which uses a 1¼" one. I've attached a photo of the original, along with the one I made. Very minor differences, including the knob spacing so you don't get your fingers caught between the knobs and the body. The telescoping portion is made of stainless. I started with .062" wall tubing and turned it a few times to get it round. That was a real challenge because it wanted to move around on me. Got it after a few attempts, with an average wall of about .042" as I recall.

While I have a passing interest in space and the stars, I've never given much thought to owning a telescope. Wouldn't do me much good here, either, considering we have more cloudy nights than clear ones. It's perfect, though, when it's clear. No lights, no dirty air (normally). Great view of the sky, you can see the stars with no trouble. Like you, we do have lots of trees, though, and tall ones. Some are up 150'!

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
UnkaJesse

Post by UnkaJesse »

Harold, I can see that you have definitely made a better focusing arrangement than the original. The longer knob shaft would be much easier to use in the dark and the quality of your work is outstanding. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/cool.gif"%20alt="[/img] Our skies are frequently clouded because of the contrails of jets headed into and from Memphis International Airport. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/frown.gif"%20alt="[/img] A friend of mine over in Switzerland built a rather large telescope and has it under a small observatory dome on top of his house! He lives in the edge of the Alps and has nice clear skies much of the time. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/laugh.gif"%20alt="[/img]

Unka Jesse
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Thanks for the kind words, Unk. What nicer praise than that from one's peers.

The quality of the work in the focusing device is representative of the type of work I did for years, but unfortunately the bulk of my work consisted of tooling that was used in the aero-space industry. While exacting in nature, and of high quality in construction, it left a lot to be desired where pleasing the eye was concerned. It clearly was not pretty to behold.

Building the focusing device was a perfect opportunity to apply my craft in such a way that I could produce something that was equally as useful as the tooling I was so used to building, but to be an object of beauty as well. The challenge of building the focuser was enhanced when the prospective buyer showed apprehension in ordering it, assuming he wouldn't be happy with it. I knew he would be, but in order to assure him that he would be as well, I told him that if he wasn't satisfied with it, his deposit would be refunded in full. One of my fondest memories of my years in the shop is the evening he came to see the finished product. Need I tell you he was overjoyed?

When you're ready to travel, Unk, pack your 'scope and drive up to pay us a visit during the summer months. We have full hookups for two RV's, so it's almost like visiting a trailer park. We're in a county with only 60,000 people, ten miles from the nearest stop light. No city lights, no smog, and for the most part nothing but clear skies to enhance your viewing pleasure. Aside from the tall trees, it's a viewer's paradise.

As a contrast to the focuser, I've attached another picture, one of some small hook devices in various stages of construction. They are an antenna latch, a part of a defense item, what, I do not know. The one on the right side is a completed and assembled item. The other three are scrap pieces. These were all made manually, not so much as a DRO used. Tolerance was extreme, with ±.002" on hole location, ±.003" block tolerance. The item below them is a common straight pin. I've shown this before, it's nothing new, but don't know if you saw it or not. It took two months working full time to make 209 of these little dudes . A tough job, but very enjoyable. It was done when I still had good eyesight. Every cut on the items was done on a Bridgeport mill, including the two turns, each of which was held to ±.001" in size and length. The small stainless pin that runs through the finished part is .022" diameter. I wonder how work like this (size-wise) looks to you when you spent your time in a railroad shop!

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
UnkaJesse

Post by UnkaJesse »

Gad, Harold those little antenna latches must have been for holding down butterfly antennas! Nay, something smaller than that, perhaps a gnat's feelers?? [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/confused.gif"%20alt="[/img] Nice looking piece of microscopic work and you are right, they are a bit smaller than the freight car wheels and axles I was working on when I left the Railroad! [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/crazy.gif"%20alt="[/img] I am reminded of an incident that happened to me when I was an apprentice machinist at Iselin Shops. The Air Brake Department superintendent came to me with a drawing of what was basically a thick 1/2" ID flat washer. He needed it for some sort of test equipment and admonished me that it had to be very accurate. I started in on the thing and had it almost finished when the foreman came by to see how I was getting along. I asked him how accurate it needed to be, .001" or less? He answered me, "Oh, a thutty second one way or t'other will be close enough." I said, "Oh well, it is already finished then, " and reached over, took it out of the lathe and handed it to him! [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/cool.gif"%20alt="[/img] When I served my apprenticeship, many of the older machinists could not even read a micrometer, they still used old style "knockabout" calipers. They could do accurate fits with those calipers, but still did not know exactly what size something was if it was less or more than a 64th of an inch from a given size. Times do change, now I find that you are making antenna latches for pissants or something maybe smaller!.

Unka Jesse