The story of the Tornado

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Andypullen

The story of the Tornado

Post by Andypullen »

Here's a really cool video about the Tornado. I can really relate to this; as can many others on here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXsiEoous00

Enjoy!

Andy Pullen
Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, ProtoTrak AGE-2 control cnc on a BP clone, Reed Prentice 14" x 30", Sanford MG 610 surface grinder, Kalamazoo 610 bandsaw, Hardinge HSL speed lathe, Hardinge HC chucker, Kearney and Trecker #2K plain horizontal mill, Haas TL-1 lathe.
Pipescs

Re: The story of the Tornado

Post by Pipescs »

There is hope for us as people as long as we can dream. These six had quite the dream
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Scratch Built 3 3/4 scale 0-4-4 Forney
Little Engines American
20 Ton Shay (Castings and Plans Purchased for future)
Andypullen

Post by Andypullen »

Pipescs wrote:There is hope for us as people as long as we can dream. These six had quite the dream
Yes, they did....
Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, ProtoTrak AGE-2 control cnc on a BP clone, Reed Prentice 14" x 30", Sanford MG 610 surface grinder, Kalamazoo 610 bandsaw, Hardinge HSL speed lathe, Hardinge HC chucker, Kearney and Trecker #2K plain horizontal mill, Haas TL-1 lathe.
SilverSanJuan

Post by SilverSanJuan »

Pipescs wrote:There is hope for us as people as long as we can dream. These six had quite the dream
Indeed.

I can only imagine the emotions they must have had when actually being pulled down the tracks by that "dream". It must have been amazing. :)

Todd
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

is even more impressive in person, although by USA standards is not a 'large' loco.

Tyseley loco works, where it visits regularly, is literally a block over from our office in Birmingham.

On a not-so-good day, I can stand in the windows of the 3rd floor conference room and see her come and go.

on a GOOD DAY, I can get out of the building and run over and smell the smoke.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Smokey N Steamer

Post by Smokey N Steamer »

I always wanted to start a project like this (an NP A5 or Z8 class engine to be exact). The trouble is finding people in my area who are also interested, though.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

and enough money. :shock:

I have heard that it took some $6,000,000 to build the Tornado.

Boiler had to be built in Germany (I think) because it was the only place still certified to build a NEW boiler to UK standards. I guess shipping from China was out of the question for them.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

In the video he says £3mil so yea at current exchange about $6mil.

Very inspiring video, and was interesting to hear some of their fundraising techniques. A lot of small fundraising on a continuous basis, and asking for money to fund specific bits as milestones seemed to be a key tactic.

Some people are very good at fundraising and getting stuff done, some people are horrible at it. The man in the video had a really good phrase, "Most people in an organization are very good at spending money but very few people are good at getting it." The people who were involved with that effort got old doing it, an 18 year project. But they never gave up and they got it done.

Good stuff.

-M
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
Andypullen

Post by Andypullen »

Harlock wrote:In the video he says £3mil so yea at current exchange about $6mil.

Very inspiring video, and was interesting to hear some of their fundraising techniques. A lot of small fundraising on a continuous basis, and asking for money to fund specific bits as milestones seemed to be a key tactic.

Some people are very good at fundraising and getting stuff done, some people are horrible at it. The man in the video had a really good phrase, "Most people in an organization are very good at spending money but very few people are good at getting it." The people who were involved with that effort got old doing it, an 18 year project. But they never gave up and they got it done.

Good stuff.

-M
I forwarded the video to the Fire Up 611 Board and suggested they do something similar. I thought the ideas would be useful for them.

Tornado is a beautiful machine. When we go to Ireland in 2016, I'm going to try and go see her in person.

Andy