J Stones and Co., Ltd electrics

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Jim_Nolan

J Stones and Co., Ltd electrics

Post by Jim_Nolan »

I am just about to start development of a 2” scale Stones generator for the 25NC. Up till last night I thought I had dreamt this but now I am not so sure. Detail always adds voracity and the memory I had last night was using electric motors from model planes or gliders.

I am not necessarily sold on the idea of making a working one but it will at least have a turbine blade in it, if for nothing else than the sound. But it would be interesting if there is something out there that prevents all that motor winding to at least look at incorporating it in the design.
I have used the search tool without success this morning can anyone point me in the direction of this post? As I am sure it was this board where I saw it.

The Stones Tonus headlight is done and ready to go for Rp’ing to produce the wax tooling. But once again I am sure that on this site someone recommended a web site you could buy reflectors and bulb holders for the innards of torches. Failing that I am going to use the inside of a Maglite.

Jim
www.northernsteam.com
alanstepney

Re: J Stones and Co., Ltd electrics

Post by alanstepney »

Jim,
I have nuerous bulb holders and some reflectors.

Send me a PM wth exact sizes and details and I'll see what I have.
http://www.alanstepney.info
Model Engineering, Steam and workshop pages.
Chris Hollands

Post by Chris Hollands »

Jim I would be interested in one of those when you make it and maybe the head light as West Australian and South African engines were very similar in most areas regards suppliers and design.

Chris
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

Jim_Nolan wrote:I am just about to start development of a 2” scale Stones generator for the 25NC. Up till last night I thought I had dreamt this but now I am not so sure. Detail always adds voracity and the memory I had last night was using electric motors from model planes or gliders.

I am not necessarily sold on the idea of making a working one but it will at least have a turbine blade in it, if for nothing else than the sound. But it would be interesting if there is something out there that prevents all that motor winding to at least look at incorporating it in the design.
I have used the search tool without success this morning can anyone point me in the direction of this post? As I am sure it was this board where I saw it.

The Stones Tonus headlight is done and ready to go for Rp’ing to produce the wax tooling. But once again I am sure that on this site someone recommended a web site you could buy reflectors and bulb holders for the innards of torches. Failing that I am going to use the inside of a Maglite.

Jim
What I've been told is that you need to make an alternator and spin the magnet and have the field coil surround it. Spinning the armature of a motor would not last long.
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
Jim_Nolan

Post by Jim_Nolan »

This was the post
Thanks to john on the ME clearing house board

http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... or#p234237

Jim
www.northernsteam.com
VO4454

Post by VO4454 »

Hello Jim, I am using a bulb and reflector assembly in my GS-4 from a company called Streamlight. It is all metal and has a 6 volt bi pin halogen bulb and is polished and coated. It measures 2.100 inches diameter and about 1.5 inches deep. It is a part number SL-20X. I used a glass lens and seal from Maglite from their 6 volt rechargeable maglite. I do not have that part number but it matches this reflector great. Maglite would not sell me just the reflector, which is metal and is a beautiful reflector. For my Marslite I could not find a suitable reflector. so I turned one out of 316 Stainless on a CNC lathe with the help of a freind. It was not as difficult as it sounds. I dont have a good picture handy of the streamlight reflector, but if you go to my marslite post, On the 2nd page, 8th photo down there is a picture of it upside down in front of the photo. If you would like a better picture let me know. Hope some of this helps.

Vic

http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... 0&start=12
For Duty and Humanity
Jim_Nolan

Post by Jim_Nolan »

Vic,

Thanks for the reply I have had a look at the website and it looks like a possibility. I want if I can, to find a cost effective commercial solution for the innards. As the headlights may have a life outside the current locomotive I am building.

Jim
www.northernsteam.com
Jim_Nolan

Post by Jim_Nolan »

Test pour of 2" scale headlight done. I seem to be getting a lot of interest for a 1.5" scale version by the narrow gauge 5" guys so I might speculate on a run of them as well. If expressions of interest turn into hard cash deposits :)
www.northernsteam.com