Is the Clishay a successful loco?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

bill4227

Re: Is the Clishay a successful loco?

Post by bill4227 »

Thanks David,

Bill
ChipsAhoy

Post by ChipsAhoy »

steamin10 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:53 pm Bearing houses used to carry cored bronze for heavey machines. These slugs were like 3-4 inches outside and a bore of 1 or 1 1/4 inside. I have saved several pieces for myself from various rebuilds where the stock was wrong sized or excess to our needs and scrapped.

Bronze is the perfect material, with cast iron second in my mind, and Brass a close third. Steel has a tendancy to rust too soon, and that can lock up your engine during storage.

Bronze will be the most expensive, followed by Brass, with Durabar or similar cast iron bar material the cheapest, and steel of course least expensive, and most available at suppliers as a cut or drop.
I am curious (I ask because I do not know) your choice of bronze, why? Is it because of the corrision resistance with water? I do have a good source for bronze, and I may make a pattern and cast some in bronze if it makes sense. We need cylinders for some MEG Wendy projects and I do not wish to destroy our furnace heating up cast iron especially if bronze (which we can do handily) is better. I assume it will hold up just fine to cast iron rings? Are there drawbacks to using bronze for cylinders as compared to cast Iron? With cast iron rings, will bronze pistons work or would i need different metals?
Scotty
nabob

Post by nabob »

steamin10 passed away, as i understand...Bob
ChipsAhoy

Post by ChipsAhoy »

Oh my! I did not know that. Well this thread is several years old.
Anyone else have good knowledge on this?
Scotty