Alcalde & Coalfield High Line

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

sabin

Re: Alcalde & Coalfield High Line

Post by sabin »

Wow,3200 ties.
Jack, I have a table saw, chop saw and drill press, need any help?

Jim Sabin
JohnHudak

Post by JohnHudak »

Jack, Everything looks fantastic, and I'm looking forward to seeing the track being laid.. We're already planning on driving out your way in the summer of 2016, hope to see the A&C in person...!
John
jcbrock

Post by jcbrock »

I agree with John H, that really looks great Jack. Sturdy, too.

John, if you are making 2016 plans already, we're planning a small scales meet at the St Croix RR in Hudson WI on July 7-10, 2016. More details coming in the future, but wanted to get it out there since you're already making 2016 travel plans. It's not exactly on the way to Tehachapi, but...
John Brock
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Thanks Jim, I could use some help cutting and drilling ties, I'll give you a call. If all goes well I should have a good bit of track down and maybe the main line done by the summer of 2016, so you will have to bring something to run John. I hope to get moved this summer and then the railway should move along pretty good.
Jack
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Here is a bit of an update on the high line switch. This first photo shows one of the slider ties that will guide the sliding tie plates with it's five rollers that will keep the rails in gauge. These ties as all other ties on the railway are made of Trex material. The second photo shows one of the the mounting strips for the ties being welded in place. There are holes every three inches for wood screws that will hold the ties in place. Clamps were used to hold the strips in place during welding, and left until the welds had cooled to prevent distortion due to shrinkage of the welds. This ensured a smooth mounting surface for the ties. The plan is to finish up the welding on the main structure of the switch today.
Jack
Attachments
SliderTie.jpg
TieStrip.jpg
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Here is an update on the high line switch. The switch hasn't gotten any attention for a while as other projects, like the new shop have taken priority. After the first test assembly and some fiddling about with the switch, it was determined that a few more plates with guide rollers would be a good idea. So eight more plates were made up with their stainless steel pins and brass wheels. These new rollers guide the rails where they transition from curved to straight, and their associated steel plates are fastened down to the switch, and don't shift sideways in slotted ties like all the others. Next up will be making the sliding half lap joints in the steel rails that will allow the rails that change length to join the rails that don't. When you throw the switch and bend the rails, the outside rail changes length only 1/4". But the rail on the inside of the curve changes length by 3/4". This 3/4" will be split between both ends of the inside rail, so the half laps will be arranged to take up 3/8" on each end. Meanwhile a lot of planning of the steaming bay and turntable area has been going on. This consists mainly of looking and thinking, and drawing on the dirt with a stick and some dirt marking paint. I have never been one to spend a lot of time making drawings and such. So I will wander around with the dirt paint and ball of string, and put some pegs in the ground. Step back and have a look…..Move the pegs, more dirt paint, have another look. Now I will make some scribbles on paper, once I get the pegs and dirt paint right. Then I can make the material list for the steaming bays. Now you can help me here, I would like some suggestions and info of how others have made their steaming bays. It's always good to see what others have done. No sort of unloading arrangement has been decided on yet. Not terribly important with smaller 3/4" scale engines, but larger 3/4" scale and 1" scale engines need something. Any suggestions?
Having fun here..
Jack
Attachments
Switch10.jpg
Switch12.jpg
Switch11.jpg
James Powell

Post by James Powell »

In my experience, for 3/4" gauge locos, until you get to probably articulated or South African (NG), then hand bombing the engines around is the easiest way. Our Hoffman Hudson was (? about 200 lb), and we lifted it. Once you pass about 150 lb, then it probably is advisable to start arranging lifting. How to do it? Well, the only real standard you have to satisfy is yourself. I know that the old way was to use a garage lift, and I would think that something like a 48" long lifting table would likely work for most 1" engines. (a 40" table would lift the Brit in his shipping box, which is 126 or 127 lb...depends on who's scale). If you are expecting visiting Big Boy's in 1", then adjust to fit...

I'd look and see what harbour fright have to offer, or the local equal. It isn't going to be the worlds most beautiful, but it should be workable.

I'm hopeful about getting south next summer- I will be done in the Navy, so "should" have time to make a trip. Now, if I have cash for it...

James
jcbrock

Post by jcbrock »

Jack, here's a Sharpie sketch (hey, you taught us!) of what we are working towards. I already know there are going to be a few details changed.
SteamingBays001LowRes.jpg
We have to cross an elevated 7.5"/4.75" ga roundhouse lead, and the bays will likely be flipped to the area on the left. So the thought is to have a rollaround cart of 9 ft length or so, that can be used like a transfer table, or turned 90 degrees to reach a vehicle. Whether the transfer raises and lowers or we use a long plate hasn't been decided. I'm leaning toward the KIS (keep it simple) design of a long plate, trying to keep the cart height at something approximating the average pickup bed.
John Brock
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Thanks James and John for the good ideas. I hadn't thought of a roll around cart. I think that will work here as room is limited as the steaming bays are up against an embankment and the sloping driveway to the area.
Jack
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Spent some time fiddling about with the high line switch today. The puzzle for today was the half lap sliding joints in the rails. As mentioned before, when the switch is moved from the straight to the curved configuration the rails change length a bit. So here are the sliding half lap rail joints. In the top photo we have the 1/4" x 3/4" steel rail being milled away to half it's thickness for a distance of 2-1/2". The second photo shows the slot for the sliding retainer being being milled with a 3/16" end mill. The bottom photo shows a sample steel rail joint, aluminum bronze sliding rail joiner bits, and #4-40 stainless socket head screws that will hold the whole mess together. Aluminum bronze was used because it is very tough and slippery, and also because there was a nice little chunk of aluminum bronze laying on the shelf. I don't think I would have gone to the trouble of buying this material just for this, brass would probably have worked just fine. Go with what you got, get er' done and all that!
Attachments
Sliders1.jpg
Sliders2.jpg
Sliders3.jpg
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Here is some more.
Top photo, the sliding joints assembled on the switch with the joints closed up. This would be the curved configuration, when you would be heading for the steaming bays. Bottom photo is with the joints extended, as set in the straight, or main line configuration. The inside rail on the curve changes length 3/4". This is split to 3/8" between both ends of the moveable rail. The middle rail changes by 3/16", and the outside rail 1/4". You will probably feel this little gap when you run over the switch. Small price to pay! Next up, arranging the joints between the 3/4" hi steel rail and the 1/2" hi aluminum rail. More to come.
Happy Model Building
Jack
Attachments
Sliders4.jpg
Sliders5.jpg
mattmason

Post by mattmason »

2017 seems like more and more fun!
Matt Mason