0-4-0 sizes

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

KandCRy

0-4-0 sizes

Post by KandCRy »

Hey everybody,
I am going to continue the tradition of building an 0-4-0 as my first locomotive. (this is in 7 1/2" gauge) I was thinking of building a falk, due to the small size, but was turned off by the horror stories of poor steaming. Something a little bigger would be preferred, but not too big as ideally it should be able to be placed in the trunk of a small car.

To help it fit, i was considering modeling a low clearence steel works engine such as Steptoe Valley #3: http://history.nevadanorthernrailway.ne ... 09wurm.jpg

If it helps, #3 in 1.5" scale would have 1 1/x 1 3/4 inch cylinders and 3 3/4 inch drivers.

So the question is: What designs for small or medium sized 0-4-0's (in 1 1/2" scale) are out there? Any you reccomend? are there any that have specs close to #3?
Michel Richard

Re: 0-4-0 sizes

Post by Michel Richard »

The obvious answer is a Kozo A-3 scaled up to 1.5 inch. I'm sure you've looked into it, I just mention to make sure. I don't know what your experience is, but designing a loco from scratch is quite an undertaking, however simple it is. Using a design and drawings that are known to work should be a big factor in any choice.
Just my .02 : - )
Andypullen

Post by Andypullen »

Wait for Dave Sclavi to reintroduce the Reading A5 camelback. It's a smaller 0-4-0 and is an easy to build locomotive that will pull quite a few cars.
Little Engines also has an 0-4-0. It is larger than the camelback and will also pull quite a bit.
Andy Pullen
Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, ProtoTrak AGE-2 control cnc on a BP clone, Reed Prentice 14" x 30", Sanford MG 610 surface grinder, Kalamazoo 610 bandsaw, Hardinge HSL speed lathe, Hardinge HC chucker, Kearney and Trecker #2K plain horizontal mill, Haas TL-1 lathe.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

If you like the idea of an early engine like the Falk, (I do) then toy with the idea of eliminating the hoist junk, and extend the boiler for more capacity. It would have a 'family ' style look for the woods engine, and be noted as Falk #3 or some such excuse for your version of what could be. AFAIK, most everything about the frame, cab, and workings would be already there, just extend the boiler.

Thinkin' out loud.

Alternately, the Marie Estelle is a dimunitive engine of character with a 4 wheel tender. Lotsa ways to go.

Happy Steamin'
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
kenrinc

Post by kenrinc »

I'd second the question of if your going to design this yourself. If so then "it's done" and the story now changes to parts you will source to begin the construction. As for available 0-4-0s

Little Engines: 0-4-0: castings available
Little Engines: Crab?
RRSC: 0-4-0 B&O dockside or switcher: castings available
Allen Models: Chloe: castings available
Mercer: A5 Camelback: castings will be available
Kozo A3 Switcher: scratchbuilt from stock

All of these are "light" from an 7.5" gauge standpoint but your still talking at least 200lbs. Your not going "stuff" it in a trunk. My Kozo A3 is well over 200# and is not exactly easy to move around. I don't know of any small 7.5" gauge engines besides the Falk and maybe the Invicta that would easily drop into the trunk of a car. Everything else is heavy enough to where your going to need to roll it in/off a truck or station wagon. Invicta will pull you and another person around with no problem and WILL fit in your trunk.

If you don't mind British style locos, there was a neat article in LS in the early 2000s about an engine called "Dante" which was basically a stripped down and simplified "Tisch". I always found it charming. Never saw one in the flesh. It was small enough to drop into a trunk. $.02

Ken-
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

there is a fellow here on the east coast that carries a Mercer Camelback around in a Subaru Forester.

It's a squeeze with the tender... but fits....
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
bcody

Post by bcody »

I carry a 7.5" gauge INVICTA loco, tender and two riding cars around in my Prius and still have room for myself behind the wheel and a passenger in the right seat.

Bill
Cary Stewart

Post by Cary Stewart »

Bruce Ward hauled his Invicta and a riding car + coal/Propane and tools all over the place in a late 1960s VW Square Back. 1967 I think. Replaced it with a small pickup when he could no longer get parts for the VW. Cary
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

Maybe you should describe exactly what you will be carrying the finished locomotive in, and how you intend to load/unload it. If you have to put something down into the trunk, then something about 150 pounds, lifted in and out by 2 adults, would be about the limit. If you have a hatchback, and can roll it in and out, then I wouldn't worry too much about the weight, just the size that you have to put it in.

One locomotive that I think would fit your bill very well is Jesse Livingston's Filer and Stowell 0-4-0. It was an odd prototype, built with oscillating cylinders, but most of the parts are pretty easy to make and it has no valve gear. Making the oscillating cylinders and the trunnions would be the toughest part of it.

If you want REALLY simple and small, Jesse Livingston also had a series for a small vertical boilered locomotive called 'newby', which was designed for a beginner to build. It would be small enough to handle pretty easily. Both of these were for 7 1/4" or 7 1/2" gauge. These were serialized in Live Steam several years ago, but you can purchase his book, and BOTH of them are in there.
filer and stowell1.JPG
UnkaJesse_VerticalBoiler_newbie.jpg
kapullen

Post by kapullen »

Here's one I built in 1979.
It is a quick and easy build but still takes two to pick up.

I built it with a 10" Logan lathe, a 7" shaper, and a drill press.

It was re-designed from the LBSC Tich to 1 1/2" size by Charles Kennion.
Parts and drawings available from Kennion Bros. in the UK.

I have a set of Americanized plans for it called Twich.

http://youtu.be/JqIlyZ2ptY4
Fadal Turn, Fadal Vmc 15, Prototrak 16 x 30 Cnc Lathe, Pratt and Whitney 16 x 54 lathe, Pratt and Whitney Vertical Shaper, G & E 16" Shaper, B & O Electric turret lathe, 36" Doall band saw,
Enco B.P. Clone, Bridgeport CNC Mill, Delta 12" Surface Grinder.
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

kapullen wrote:I built it with a 10" Logan lathe, a 7" shaper, and a drill press.
As have 10,000 before it (and many of those without the shaper.)
KandCRy wrote:I am going to continue the tradition of building an 0-4-0 as my first locomotive.
A very wise approach. One of the locomotives which I think would adapt well to your needs and can be Americanized easily are the Quarry Hunslets. There is a huge amount of information on this manufacturer and a number of designs in live steam, and can be built in inside and outside frames.
QuaryHunslet.jpg
Another basic design I can highly recommend, again British but easily Americanized, is Jessie by Ken Swan. Jessie is an adaption of his original design for Bridget which has been a popular and thoroughly proven design for decades in the UK. 5" drivers, 1-7/8" cyls, 6" boiler.
Jessie.jpg
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
marshall5

Post by marshall5 »

I don't think you'd be able get a Hunslet in the trunk of a small car. Even the 3" scale 'Elidir ' comes in at 36" long and 300lbs. With a tall chimney and cab I doubt you'd get the trunk lid closed. Yes, 'Jessie' is a great design and at 33" and 160lbs you could just do it with 2 guys. If you're limited to a trunk what about the 7 1/2" g. version of 'Tich' - you could probably lift it yourself but would still give a good account of itself on the track. Ray.