Little Engines Air Pumps

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Harlock

Re: Little Engines Air Pumps

Post by Harlock »

It sounds like an up-to-date set of plans needs to be made in 3D, incorporating all the changes and showing perspective cutaway views for clarification.

If I ever bought a set of castings and prints I'd probably do that for myself along the way of building it anyway.

Thanks for the answer on the regulation. So basically, the higher steam pressure you feed the pump the higher air pressure you'll have. Just leave the steam feed valve open.

Anyone had any problems with water condensing when it is not operating and then causing it to lock up? I assume if it's exercised often enough it won't collect too much condensation. Maybe an automatic cylinder cock that responds to water hammer pressure (like SuperScale's) would do the trick.

Cheers,

-Mike
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
tomc

Post by tomc »

Mike,

I think once you get going the use of the brakes keep the pump moving enough. We don't have any problem with our pump on #4 stopping due to condensation once we get it going unless we stop a long time and don't use it. We run more in the winter than summer due to fire hazards so it sees a lot of temp differences! It slows down when it gets to about 90 lbs but keeps going when needed.

Tom C.
tom_at_srclry_com
A student of the Southend RGS!
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

Harlock wrote:Anyone had any problems with water condensing when it is not operating and then causing it to lock up? I assume if it's exercised often enough it won't collect too much condensation. Maybe an automatic cylinder cock that responds to water hammer pressure (like SuperScale's) would do the trick.

Cheers,

-Mike
I have this problem with the keim pump i have, i plan on adding a safety valve that will release the pressure at ~ 60 psi (my train line is normally set to 40 psi, 50 if i am running heavy)
this will keep the pump running and hot.
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

Can anyone post a photo of the umbrella valve?

I'm currently talking with Vernay right now but I accidentally called it the wrong part, so I have to start over on the dialogue.

Thanks,
Mike
jcbrock

Post by jcbrock »

cbrew wrote:
Harlock wrote:Anyone had any problems with water condensing when it is not operating and then causing it to lock up? I assume if it's exercised often enough it won't collect too much condensation. Maybe an automatic cylinder cock that responds to water hammer pressure (like SuperScale's) would do the trick.

Cheers,

-Mike
I have this problem with the keim pump i have, i plan on adding a safety valve that will release the pressure at ~ 60 psi (my train line is normally set to 40 psi, 50 if i am running heavy)
this will keep the pump running and hot.
On the BJWCRR #2 we had ball valves on the air side of the pump which we would open to allow the pump to pump against atmospheric pressure while it warmed up. When you closed them, you'd leave them cracked a little so just a wisp was coming out. The other trick was to keep the pump cycling, even if only every 20-30 seconds. On a normal day none of this was needed, you used enough air things worked fine.

On the steam outlet side we had another valve that would route the exhaust onto the ground while warming up, and then up the stack once you had the hydrostat set and things were warm. It kept us from blowing quite as much steam cylinder oil over the passengers while dialing in the drip rate.
John Brock
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

So....

Do we start a dedicated thread to build them?

If so I will drag out my castings to jump in.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Scratch Built 3 3/4 scale 0-4-4 Forney
Little Engines American
20 Ton Shay (Castings and Plans Purchased for future)
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

I will also try my hand at a build thread also.

Just need to find a line on these umbrella valves...
tomc

Post by tomc »

Mike Walsh wrote:Can anyone post a photo of the umbrella valve? I'm currently talking with Vernay right now but I accidentally called it the wrong part, so I have to start over on the dialogue.
Thanks, Mike
They are the major source for them but they want u to by them by the thousands! Ask for samples and u can get maybe 20 or so. We got some spares from our pump builder but they r in Michigan and I am not so can't post pics.

Tom C.
tom_at_srclry_com
A student of the Southend RGS!
shayloco

Post by shayloco »

I'm currently talking with Vernay right now but I accidentally called it the wrong part, so I have to start over on the dialogue.

Thanks,
Mike
Mike-

I received 10 samples from Vernay in September. Here is what is on the package:

Part No: V027910500
Design/Size: VA3405

They also included an engineering drawing with the title "Umbrella Check Valve" and "Part No. VA3405".

-Larry
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

Do you recall how you picked up this sample package? Have a contact by chance?

I need to figure out how I'll get a bunch. If this goes well, may need to equip up to 10 compressors, if not more...
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Curious Question.

Are the umbrella valves made of a plastic?
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Scratch Built 3 3/4 scale 0-4-4 Forney
Little Engines American
20 Ton Shay (Castings and Plans Purchased for future)
shayloco

Post by shayloco »

Are the umbrella valves made of a plastic?
Nitrile

-Larry