A champion is born.

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

pkeiser

Re: A champion is born.

Post by pkeiser »

I've been hiding the 6" bell just under the smokebox. It works well there if you can hide it between pumps on both sides and pump shields in the front. I get them from Cannonball in Oklahoma.
They tell you the the bell must be mounted vertically but they work just fine laying flat. I do shoot some dry silicone on the plunger to make it slide better in the horizontal position. Also, it is a must to run 14# wire from the battery to bell. It draws a lot of juice. Hence running the wires (front lighting and bell) between the frame. Also again, a 20 amp single pole single throw toggle switch is used.
Attachments
DSC00724 - Copy.JPG
DSC00725 - Copy.JPG
www.chaski.com
pkeiser

Post by pkeiser »

A little sheet metal work the last two weeks. I'd get more done if I was retired and didn't have to run this company Keal Case. The roof is the hardest to do with my meager abilities. Ya finally get the roof curved radiuus right for the sides and them you gotta silver solder the half round brass around the edges. This makes all the metal warp and then nothing fits anymore. So next step is to utter nasty profanities to one's self and them take 2 days off!! Final step is to get a big hammer and bang the dang thing to fit everything else once more. I ain't no Jack Bodenmman! Also, I'm building this Northern for Mike Venezia as most of ya'll know. He prefers the back of the cab open to the rear so he can get his L A Z Y hand in the firebox door with his little shovel of coal more easily.

Now I'm gonna catch you know what for that !
Attachments
DSC00726 - Copy.JPG
DSC00727 - Copy.JPG
www.chaski.com
Jerry_H

Post by Jerry_H »

Paul,

Why couldn't you just soft solder the half round. It won't see any appreciable heat and should be a whole lot easier.

Jerry
www.chaski.com
pkeiser

Post by pkeiser »

Jerry, I have not found a good flux to solder brass to steel that works very well. If anyone knows, what is the brand name? Low temp silver solder flux eats all steel and you can't wash it off easily.
www.chaski.com
PSeyfrit

Post by PSeyfrit »

Just tell Mike the cab went thru a Texas hail storm.
http://www.interactivehailmaps.com/bad- ... rie-texas/
Paul
Maryland
Club website http://calslivesteam.org
Andypullen

Post by Andypullen »

PSeyfrit wrote:Just tell Mike the cab went thru a Texas hail storm.
http://www.interactivehailmaps.com/bad- ... rie-texas/
LOL!
Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, ProtoTrak AGE-2 control cnc on a BP clone, Reed Prentice 14" x 30", Sanford MG 610 surface grinder, Kalamazoo 610 bandsaw, Hardinge HSL speed lathe, Hardinge HC chucker, Kearney and Trecker #2K plain horizontal mill, Haas TL-1 lathe.
boomerralph

Post by boomerralph »

Paul,

Looking better all the time! Mike had better like it!

The Rat Bastard
Ralph
Ralph M. Reese
St. Augustine, FL
Under Construction
LE Pacific
Allen 10 Wheeler
Jerry_H

Post by Jerry_H »

Paul,

An idea came to me about the time I was falling asleep last night. Why can't you copper plate the area on the cab where the brass half round is to be soldered. That way you could solder brass to copper, use less heat, no more body & fender work, less swearing and thereby reduce the amount of bad karma.

Micro Mark has a copper plating kit. I have not tried it but it might work.

http://www.micromark.com/copper-plating ... ,8419.html

Jerry
www.chaski.com
pkeiser

Post by pkeiser »

Making sliding cab windows. Two of .032 brass held tightly in the mill. Next is silver soldering .062 spacers between the .032 sheets and then slipping in glass between them.

And NO, no CNC. Just watch the DRO and hope not to screw up and start over !!!
Attachments
DSC00728 - Copy.JPG
DSC00729 - Copy.JPG
www.chaski.com
Postwarbob

Post by Postwarbob »

Paul to you and your family I wish you a very Happy Thanksgiving. !!!
Oh yes if Mikey V isn't happy with the new engine your finishing for him I'll gladly take it !!!!! LOL !!!!
I KNOW that will never happen !!
Can't wait to see you at TM in 2015. I hope to have my Consolidation I bought from Mike years ago running or my Pacific. ???
Bob Morris
pkeiser

Post by pkeiser »

Cab window visors are a very nice detail. I have made pair for the 9100 Hudson and 1690 Northern . I also made a set for Bob Hornsby's and Nick Edwards engines.
This was my fifth attempt. Very time consuming indeed and about 10 hours all tottal this weekend; but I think it's worth the time.
Attachments
DSC00737 - Copy.JPG
Last edited by pkeiser on Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.chaski.com
pkeiser

Post by pkeiser »

To those who are crazy like me and wish to attempt this here is what I did. First cut a piece of 1/8" x 1/4" x about 7"" long cold roll and stick in the vise. Cut a .062 slot .090" deep the entire length.
The 1/16" end mill needs to go slow. DEAD SLOW !! .015-.020 deep at a pass. When finished make the u-shaped piece that goes around the glass. Cut a little over-sized and sand a 45 degree on the ends as needed. Slip a piece of .062" brass in the slots and using a "mig" tack it together and pull out the brass. Sand the weld of and ya got it !!!
www.chaski.com