A champion is born.

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Cary Stewart

Re: A champion is born.

Post by Cary Stewart »

A couple of years ago Pam ran a whole series of how to do it on a bunch of Dave Moore's castings. I don't remember if they are the same ones you are working on but it sure would be worth you while to look up that series for some hints. She did most of the work using Sherline lathes and mills. She made many fixtures to ease some of the machining. The comment that she is about as good as you can get as a machinist is true. I have met her several times at various meets in LA and Riverside. Nice person. I think after Joe Martin died there has been a push to up grade some or all of he products + add some new things. I just received Machinist's Work Shop and noticed that the dials on the hand wheels are now black with laser engraving. I wonder if, like Rolls Royce did in the 20s changed the badge from red to black?
Cary
Highiron

Post by Highiron »

These are not David more castings as a matter of fact they are Little Engines castings Paul is helping me resurrect the dummy power reverse and we are trying to add more detail to it to possibly bring it back out on the market I decided not to put an air-powered operating power Traverse on the Northern because I wanted to build this so that I can offer another option to customers
pkeiser

Post by pkeiser »

Next thing is spending money. From McMaster Carr I got a 3 foot long piece of 2 1/2" dia. 12L14. 12L14 cost a little more than regular 1018 cold roll but makes life easier in the machining process. First I turned the end cap and profiled end to make it look like a casting. Because of the aligment issue again I made the part that goes inside the cylinder casting housing .001" under. One nice feature of a DRO it has a bolt pattern setting that helps a bunch when threading for bolts arround the circumfrance. Next, I'll challenge the cross head guide on the other end of this thing.
Attachments
IMG_0064 - Copy.JPG
IMG_0065 - Copy.JPG
IMG_0067 - Copy.JPG
IMG_0086 - Copy.JPG
www.chaski.com
Hudson Honey

Post by Hudson Honey »

I'm still around....just got a few bits and pieces from Michael this week..found the floor in my garage...well most of it anyway. And yes work has been rather consuming with all the new trade shows I've had to attend.....it's hard to even open the garage door and look when I get home from work...let alone actually do anything.

Pamela
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

Good to hear from you!

Sometimes, worn out, dirty, and
having watched the sun go down a long
time ago, it's just enough to open that garage door,
grab a beverage and a stool, and get one's
head in a good place.
pkeiser

Post by pkeiser »

Well again, here we go... Making a power reverse cross head guide from scratch. Starting with a 2 1/2" dia. length of 12L14 I need to establish a base line for milling flats on this round piece. I milled flats 90 degrees apart as shown. Next turned the middle where the cross head guide will eventually will be further machined. This is called make it up as ya go....
Attachments
IMG_0070 - Copy.JPG
IMG_0071 - Copy.JPG
IMG_0073 - Copy.JPG
Last edited by pkeiser on Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.chaski.com
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

Nice work all the way!
Please continue reporting your process of building that power reverse, for this is one of the next jobs to do for my A 1239, too. Thank you for posting!
Learning never ends by watching how other modelers are doing work on their way.

Asteamhead
pkeiser

Post by pkeiser »

A moment in time. Mike Venezia, Pam Weiss, Paul Keiser with Northern 1690 and Hudson 9100 at Nick Edward"s fabulous Wimberley Texas railroad. We're burning nasty coal, ah... I can just about smell it now ! My option , yes, but I think his railroad is one of the best in America. Second picture is the man himself : Nick Edward. What a sweet, wonderful gentleman.
Attachments
IMG_4422 - Copy.JPG
IMG_4183 - Copy.JPG
www.chaski.com
pkeiser

Post by pkeiser »

Charging up the grade in the 9100 at Wimberley Blanco& Southern railroad in Wimberley Tx.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWg_GXZN4ME

www.chaski.com
pkeiser

Post by pkeiser »

This hunk of metal is about 9" long.The next step was to drill a 1/4" hole down the full length.For me, that was a trick. I think this falls more into a gun smith job becase I can't let the drill bit wander for 9" . I got it about .015 off the center when the drill finally poked out the other side ( not too bad ) and next drilled and reamed the center 3/4" for the actual cross head. Since I established the 4 flats the first step I now can begin to cut out the metal for the guide portion.
Attachments
IMG_0074 - Copy.JPG
IMG_0075 - Copy.JPG
IMG_0076 - Copy.JPG
www.chaski.com
Rob Gardner

Post by Rob Gardner »

Mike, where did you get the high flying number boards from?

Rob Gardner
Highiron

Post by Highiron »

I sell them

I am currently out of stock waiting for them to come in from foundry

contact me at highiron@aol.com if you want a set please do not PM me here for parts orders