A champion is born.

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: Harold_V, WJH, cbrew

User avatar
Highiron
Posts: 694
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2003 7:04 pm
Location: Lancaster, PA

Re: A champion is born.

Post by Highiron » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:35 pm

Steam Engine Dan wrote::shock: "drools" mr keiser you have outdone yourself. what are some of the specifications of this beast?

It is big, long, heavy and painted black...lol... but seriously

Engine is about 107" long Over all
23" Height
tender approx 69" Over all
140 PSI boiler preasure
27 1" diameter steel tubes
262 sq in of grate surface (1.82 sq ft)
Total heating surface 21 sq ft
2-3/4" bore x 3-1/2" stroke
15/16" valve travel with "D" Valves set up with 1/64" lead and 11/64" Lap
calculated weight in working order Approx. 2300 pounds +/-
approx weight on drivers about 1100-1200 pounds
coal capacity approx 1-1/2 5 gallon pail...water approx 25 gallons

Time of construction about 3 years
total cost of construction....ALOT

Smile On Pauls face when done and running....PRICELESS!!

765nkp
Posts: 684
Joined: Sun May 06, 2007 9:24 pm
Location: st louis, mo

Re: A champion is born.

Post by 765nkp » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:19 pm

Hey Paul, Time to doublehead that monster with the hudson.
The northern looks beautiful.
Tim

david griner
Posts: 136
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:39 pm
Location: peoria,az
Contact:

Re: A champion is born.

Post by david griner » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:13 pm

And it's COAL fired too !!!! Thank you !
Beautiful Work !
Dave Griner

Steam Engine Dan
Posts: 329
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:08 pm

Re: A champion is born.

Post by Steam Engine Dan » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:22 pm

Highiron wrote:
Steam Engine Dan wrote::shock: "drools" mr keiser you have outdone yourself. what are some of the specifications of this beast?

It is big, long, heavy and painted black...lol... but seriously

Engine is about 107" long Over all
23" Height
tender approx 69" Over all
140 PSI boiler preasure
27 1" diameter steel tubes
262 sq in of grate surface (1.82 sq ft)
Total heating surface 21 sq ft
2-3/4" bore x 3-1/2" stroke
15/16" valve travel with "D" Valves set up with 1/64" lead and 11/64" Lap
calculated weight in working order Approx. 2300 pounds +/-
approx weight on drivers about 1100-1200 pounds
coal capacity approx 1-1/2 5 gallon pail...water approx 25 gallons

Time of construction about 3 years
total cost of construction....ALOT

Smile On Pauls face when done and running....PRICELESS!!

thanks mike, wow 2300 pounds in working order at 140 psi. that is awesome

DJSteamer3017
Posts: 264
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:07 am
Location: Downey, CA

Re: A champion is born.

Post by DJSteamer3017 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:38 pm

Mike,

The LE 4-8-4 Northern is one locomotive and your giving it a bright future by retooling it Below are the numerous 4-8-4s that have been built over the years. Keep on Steamin'. My Friend!!

David
Attachments
image.jpg
Seymour Johnson's Goleta Valley Western 4751 at Bitter Creek. Photo by Mike Massee
image.jpg
Dick Priest SP Daylight
image.jpg
Chet Petersen's Union Pacific 4-8-4
image.jpg
Riverside Live Steamer's Hunter 4-8-4
image.jpg
Song Composer David Rose's 4-8-4
Last edited by DJSteamer3017 on Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
The 1" Scale Junkie ... But steam of all sizes is cool with me!!
"If you can dream it, you can do it" - Walt Disney

User avatar
Highiron
Posts: 694
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2003 7:04 pm
Location: Lancaster, PA

Re: A champion is born.

Post by Highiron » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:51 pm

DJSteamer3017 wrote:Mike,

The LE 4-8-4 Northern is one locomotive and your giving it a bright future by retooling it's and below are the numerous 4-8-4s that have been built over the years. Keep on Steamin'. My Friend!!

David

David

Thanks for your comments on both Pauls engine and the work I have done on tooling and patterns.

It was very much my intentions for a long time to bring the locomotive back to life and to make it easier to build and to beable to make a big Hudson out of it...that is what the project started out as...it has come a looooong way and we have more yet to go...there are now 5 new starts on this beast and more people making inquiries about it...I hope folks continue to push for there dreams...because Paul, Pam and I are here to help them achive it

Mike

User avatar
dwilloughby
Posts: 239
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:39 pm
Location: North Las Vegas, NV

Re: A champion is born.

Post by dwilloughby » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:00 pm

Unknown 4-8-4 belonged to the late David Rose, famous composer and conductor.

DJSteamer3017
Posts: 264
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:07 am
Location: Downey, CA

Re: A champion is born.

Post by DJSteamer3017 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:34 pm

dwilloughby wrote:Unknown 4-8-4 belonged to the late David Rose, famous composer and conductor.
Dean, Do you know it's whereabouts?

David
The 1" Scale Junkie ... But steam of all sizes is cool with me!!
"If you can dream it, you can do it" - Walt Disney

boomerralph
Posts: 165
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:13 pm
Location: St. Augustine, FL

Re: A champion is born.

Post by boomerralph » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:24 am

Mike, and Paul,

I would love to see Paul's engine, your new engine, and Pam's engine triple heading. There would be enough power there to pull the world down!

Ralph
Ralph M. Reese
St. Augustine, FL
Under Construction
LE Pacific
Allen 10 Wheeler

Superberky1204
Posts: 290
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2003 9:46 am
Location: Audubon, PA

Re: A champion is born.

Post by Superberky1204 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:53 pm

Hey Paul, That is awesome. You have outdone yourself!!!!! Can't wait to see it in person.

Bruce Saylor

Jerry_H
Posts: 240
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:39 pm
Location: Central FL

Re: A champion is born.

Post by Jerry_H » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:55 pm

Paul, I saw your hudson, 9100, at Largo a few years back. A truely beautiful locomotive! Looks like you topped it with the northern. I would love to see the two of you at Largo sometime soon.

Jerry
www.chaski.com

pkeiser
Posts: 235
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:50 pm

Re: A champion is born.

Post by pkeiser » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:35 am

Jerry, I'll have the Northern over at Pasco for the meet there in few weeks.
www.chaski.com

Post Reply