David Rose

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

DJSteamer3017

David Rose

Post by DJSteamer3017 »

To My Brothers and Sisters in Steam
David Rose, is certainly an unsung Live Steam Legend. Aside from the fact he was married to Judy Garland, he had a substantial collection of Locomotives and two Railroads. Where is most of his collection, everyone feel free to chime in. Keep on Steamin' my Friends!!

David
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg (50.18 KiB) Viewed 9394 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (33.24 KiB) Viewed 9394 times
image.jpg
The 1" Scale Junkie ... But steam of all sizes is cool with me!!
"If you can dream it, you can do it" - Walt Disney
LivingLegend

Re: David Rose

Post by LivingLegend »

David was a Charter member of LALS.

I've been away from L.A. too many years to know absolute details, so LALS members here on the board chime in to add to and correct me as needed.

As I recall, there was an auction held a few years after David's death to liquidate his collection of stationary engines. locomotives and steam related items. David owned one of the first Little Engine Northerns, which his wife, Betty, kept, ran, and stored at LALS after David died. The whereabouts of items of the rest of his collection, others will have to provide that info.

David was one of the nicest and most cordial people one could ever meet and a very quiet person..... Which is why I shook my head at the fact his first wife was boisterous comedienne Martha Raye.Two completely opposite personalities, it would seem.

Back in the 70s and 80s before leaving L.A., I was a professional musician involved in records, TV, and film studio work, but I rarely, if ever, discussed anything music at the track with David.

EDITED: 02/03/2014 @0922 hours CST

LL
Do it right.... Or don't do it at all
I have no life. Therefore, I have a hobby
It's not that I'm apathetic, I just flat don't care
An Intellectual is nothing more than an Over-Educated IDIOT
Blogs: Where people with nothing to say..... Say it
Trainman4602

Post by Trainman4602 »

Just the other day I looked up information on Judy Garland. AMC was showing the picture “The Harvey Girls” which stared Judy and Anglea Lansbury.

While reading the info on Judy I was reminded that David Rose and Judy were married for several years.

My live steam career started because of David. Back in the early sixities maybe 1960 for that matter there was a TV show called “You Ask for it”.

This show featured David and his home railroad. This got me thinking I would like to build live steam locomotives some day. It did not go to far as I was just twelve at the time of the show.

Later around 1970 I got my first copy of Live Steam magizne. Shortly after I received my copy of the Little Engines catalog. From there it is history.

I attended the International Brotherhood meet in 1984 at LALS. While there I met David and I explained that I was introduced to the hobby by the TV show.

Thank You David Rose
ALLWAYS OPERATING MY TRAIN IN A SAFE MANNER USING AUTOMATIC AIR BRAKES
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

One can never know the impact of a casual conversation with younger folks at the track.

Be kind, patient, and perhaps one day they too will become ambassadors and maybe even suppliers of the hobby.

There are too few of them around any more. They are truly a precious commodity and like a vegetable or fruit in the garden, should be treated with care, given all of the nutrients and such they need and ask for, and one day they could mature into, who, David Rose, Dave Sclavi, Jack Bodenmann, heck, maybe even a Walt Disney.

Brian
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

Richard Farmer has most of David's engines, in various states of repair. Including the one that Judy bought him.

Richard and David were very close friends, both through live steam and music.

I'll take some pictures next time I am over there.

Cheers,

-Mike
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
DJSteamer3017

Post by DJSteamer3017 »

Harlock wrote:Richard Farmer has most of David's engines, in various states of repair. Including the one that Judy bought him.

Richard and David were very close friends, both through live steam and music.

I'll take some pictures next time I am over there.

Cheers,

-Mike
Oh wow that's amazing, I look forward to seeing those pictures. I forgot to post the picture of his LE Old 4-8-4 Northern at LALS.
Attachments
image.jpg
The 1" Scale Junkie ... But steam of all sizes is cool with me!!
"If you can dream it, you can do it" - Walt Disney
LivingLegend

Post by LivingLegend »

BTW.... That's Richard Farmer running David's LE Northern, which David named the "Holiday Special". As I recall, the loco was the only one of the first LE Northerns to be coal fired.

LL
jkimberln

Post by jkimberln »

David had a locomotive that he imported from the UK. I forget all of the details, but it was sold at that auction to Bob Cohen, a member of GGLS. Bob still has it, but hasn't run it in a number of years. I believe it was red but forget the wheel arrangement - maybe an 0-6-0T?

JerryK
srrl5

Post by srrl5 »

If you look in the foreground of the picture of Richard running David's Northern you can see the pond that was put in for steam boats at one of the meets at LALS, a rare one time event.

David Rohrer
We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.
Steve Bratina

Post by Steve Bratina »

Was not the red engine a 1 1/2" Royal Scot built shown in the pictures above?
LivingLegend

Post by LivingLegend »

That pond was the one built for the 1980 IBLS meet.

LL