OCME Track Stolen

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

cp4449

Re: OCME Track Stolen

Post by cp4449 »

Thank god LALS is steel track. $1.40 per 10 foot piece? Someone do the math, not a lot. Inside job, if a new track suddenly is built, mmmmmm
Christopher P. Mahony
Los Angeles Live Steamers
1 inch scale member
apm

Post by apm »

Stumbled on this article the other day, sure their track looks rather primitive so I doubt the stolen rail was headed to this tunnel.
http://news.yahoo.com/two-drug-tunnels- ... nance.html

On the other hand each and every time I read one of these articles about a drug smuggling tunnel with a rail system in it I can't help but wonder how much longer it will be till the cartels catch onto our hobby? One would hope these tunnels are at least making enough that they wouldn't need to steal from live steamers but could just go online and order a few thousand feet of rail.

I can't help but think if I had to run one of these tunnels ferrying back and forth such high value railroad cargo that one of those little plum cove studios box cab locomotives and a few gondola cars would be my first choice for the railroad.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Scrappers (a generic name for theives that take materials to recycle) have been caught sawing down the stainless benches along the bicycle and skate paths here. New laws have been crafted that make it MANDATORY that any amount of aluminum and brass over 100lbs be documented with ID of vehicles and persons. It includes ground based air conditioning units, not window units. Company ID and Hologen handling permits (liscence), are needed. This says a perp spilling refridgerants during a theft is open to a $10K fine for illegal venting, and fed prosecution. (I doubt that will happen given the limits and costs of such action).

To the most common yards I use, Ii have given samples of rail, with my phone number, and have explained this unusual shape of extrusion is used for only one purpose, and is generally resold, and not scrapped. A look at a magazine with the trains running on it leaves an indelable memory, and I hope closes off one area of opportunity for disposal.

Theft is what it is, and turning a finely worked 3/4 inch locomotive into less than a hundred dollars for polished brass and copper boiler, is extremely upsetting to me, as are all acts of violence upon my life and circumstance. I do take it personally.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.