McMaster-Carr Bearings

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

doublereefed

McMaster-Carr Bearings

Post by doublereefed »

Oh wise ones, please tell me the proper bronze bearings to order for Allen rods.

Options are:
Lubricated Bronze
PTFE/Oil-lubricated SAE 841 Bronze
Cast Bronze

(I would think these are not useful options):
Mil-Spec PTFE-Lined
Food-Grade Oil-Lubricated
Grooved and Graphite-Filled

Many thank,

-Richard
Attachments
norods.JPG
LivingLegend

Re: McMaster-Carr Bearings

Post by LivingLegend »

First, you definitely DO NOT want to us any Oilite, or sintered, bearing in any main/side rod or valve motion application. They will not hold up to the pounding of the rod action. Plus, should you wish to machine your own bushings from Oilite stock, it takes knowledge on how to machine them so they retain their self lubricating properties.... I won't get into the how-to's of the proper machining techniques here.

If you intend to machine the rod bushings yourself, phosphor bronze would be the first choice..... Followed by 660 (also known as 932) bronze. Solid or cored 660/932 bushing stock can usually be found stocked at, or ordered from any bearing supply.

660/932 bushings in standard sizes are readily available at almost any bearing supply house.

LL
Do it right.... Or don't do it at all
I have no life. Therefore, I have a hobby
It's not that I'm apathetic, I just flat don't care
An Intellectual is nothing more than an Over-Educated IDIOT
Blogs: Where people with nothing to say..... Say it
doublereefed

Post by doublereefed »

LL,

On other's advice I am hoping to purchase bronze bushings rather than machine them.

On further reading on McMaster-Carr site, the "Bronze Sleeve Bearing" section also has these options:

SAE 841—Also called Oilite®, this porous material is impregnated with roughly 19% SAE 30 oil. The oil reduces wear as well as required maintenance.

Graphite SAE 841—This porous material is impregnated with a graphite-based material, which provides low-friction dry lubrication in a wide range of temperatures.

SAE 863—Also called Super Oilite®, this material is similar to SAE 841, but contains more iron for greater strength. Note: Color is silver because of the iron.

Alloy 932—Also known as SAE 660, this nonporous, cast material makes hard, strong, and abrasion-resistant bearings with excellent resistance to shock loads (suddenly applied loads) and wear.

Alloy 954—This nonporous, cast material is harder, stronger, and withstands an even wider temperature range than Alloy 932.

Based on what you are saying I should go with Alloy 932 or Alloy 954?

Best!

-Richard
LivingLegend

Post by LivingLegend »

Once again, you don't want to use a sintered or porous bushing. So that leaves out the 841 Oilite.

954 is aluminum bronze. It's tough, durable and hard. A bear to machine due to it's toughness and abrasiveness..... Been there, done that.

If you are using off the shelf bushings, I'd go with the 660/932 and be done with it.... Assuming the OD/ID you need is a standard size, the length can be cut down to suit if needed. I've used 660/932 side/main rods and valve motion in the past.... Off the shelf and those I machined. It will work just fine. 954 in our applications isn't really required. Still, if I was machining rod bushings from scratch, phosphor bronze would be my first choice.

LL
Last edited by LivingLegend on Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do it right.... Or don't do it at all
I have no life. Therefore, I have a hobby
It's not that I'm apathetic, I just flat don't care
An Intellectual is nothing more than an Over-Educated IDIOT
Blogs: Where people with nothing to say..... Say it
doublereefed

Post by doublereefed »

LL, I went with SAE 660 cast bronze. Alloy 932. Sounds like I'm on the right path.

Thanks again,

-Richard
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

doublereefed wrote:LL, I went with SAE 660 cast bronze. Alloy 932. Sounds like I'm on the right path.

Thanks again,

-Richard
That is the correct choice.
jtdute

Post by jtdute »

You might want to mike the crank pins as well. recently I did some work on a Ten wheeler where the crank pins had worn and no longer round. I am not sure what the builder used for material but the crank pins wore instead of rod bushings. Needless to say new hardened and polished crank pins and new 660 bronze bushing have been installed.
Just my 2 cents, Jeff
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

jtdute wrote:You might want to mike the crank pins as well. recently I did some work on a Ten wheeler where the crank pins had worn and no longer round. I am not sure what the builder used for material but the crank pins wore instead of rod bushings. Needless to say new hardened and polished crank pins and new 660 bronze bushing have been installed.
Just my 2 cents, Jeff
My Chloe is about .040" out of round from wear. I've replaced the bushings several times (660 bronze) trying to keep it running. My crankpins were CRS case hardened. I'll do better on the rebuild. Right now I have Delrin for my side rod bushings and they have held up well and reduced the click clack.
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

LivingLegend wrote: 954 is aluminum bronze. It's tough, durable and hard. A bear to machine due to it's toughness and abrasiveness..... Been there, done that.
LL
Ummmmm.....maybe you're thinkin' 863, manganese-bronze? It can be less than pleasant to turn.

954 is not difficult to machine, not more so than 660. (932) It certainly holds up better than 660, both wear and yield.
Fear not the 954!
IR 954 Walking Beam Bushing.jpg
Most often, I use 954 in lieu of 660, especially when bushing life has been less than adequate, and always when there is a yield problem.
If that doesn't cure any problems, or if the problems are extreme, I use 863.

Some bronze trivia:
660, 20 ksi yield, and 65 Brinell
954, 35 ksi yield, and 170 Brinell
863, 60 ksi yield, and 220 Brinell

The numbers vary a bit between manufacturers.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Some other 954 things:
EJC65 Boom Bushings.jpg
70391152 1.jpg
Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
doublereefed

Post by doublereefed »

I mic'd the driver pins and they look good. Best I can tell they are only a few thou out of round, which is better than I think I can truly measure. No grooving. So, looks good on that front. Interestingly, had to hit a few online sources to get all the sizes I needed. 11/16" ID 7/8" OD was the tough one.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

for main rod / crosshead, I like delrin AF or nylatron.

requires no lubrication and will NOT beat out oval....
Too many things going on to bother listing them.