air brakes on the 2.5" scale consolidation

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

cbrew

Re: air brakes on the 2.5" scale consolidation

Post by cbrew »

JessVanWinkle wrote:I turned down and threaded mine to 1/8NPT.
Threaded and plugged the top and soldered plugs into the side openings, one plug is tapped for the output.
I made a gasket for under the locking nut, and used thread sealant on the threads for the adjustment.

just what i was looking for, Thank you.. I have some ideas i am going to chase down,, thank you for sharing,, this type of stuff really gets the brain working.. :)
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
RCW

Post by RCW »

I am not quite picturing all this. Could some one do a drawing?

Thanks!

Bob
PSeyfrit

Post by PSeyfrit »

This thead got me thinking of trying to use a Clippard air operated valve along with your adjustable pressure valve. The Clippard valve uses Buna o-rings so I was planing to change them to Viton as that seems to be what people are using in steam service. Imagine my suprize when the McMaster o-ring guide shows Viton not recomended for steam service. So my question is Viton good or should I use something else?
Attachments
Clippard PAVO-2.jpg
Paul
Maryland
Club website http://calslivesteam.org
kenrinc

Post by kenrinc »

Nothing wrong with Viton for steam service.

Ken-
JessVanWinkle

Post by JessVanWinkle »

Looks like a great start for the valve. I may have to upgrade to that. Mine does ok, but the steam and air pressure are really to close to equalizing. The pilot pressure could be much lower with that one.

I have had some success with the set up I posted here. Under steam my pump is fighting a lot of blow by, mostly in the shuttle valve. That is not allowing the pump to get up to full air pressure. So it is still a work in progress. Might have to wait until this winter before I have time to delve real deep into it tho.
Loco112

Post by Loco112 »

PSeyfrit wrote: Imagine my suprize when the McMaster o-ring guide shows Viton not recomended for steam service. So my question is Viton good or should I use something else?
McMaster probably thinks of steam as a few hundred degrees minimum and a whole lot of superheat.
PSeyfrit

Post by PSeyfrit »

Thanks Ken, I was scratching my head over all the o-ring charts listing it as not for steam when I was sure I had been reading Viton was the choice of Chaski users everywhere.
Paul
Maryland
Club website http://calslivesteam.org
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

I found this to be interesting
http://www.dkirubber.com/materials.asp
An excellent elastomer for use in high temperature applications. Also exhibits excellent chemical resistance, commonly referred as VITON or FKM. Fluorocarbon exhibits resistance to a broader range of chemicals combined with very good high temperature properties more so than any of the other elastomers. It is the closest available approach to a universal elastomer for sealing in the use of o-rings and other custom seals over other types of elastomers.
Fluorocarbons are highly resistant to swelling when exposed to gasoline as well as resistant to degradation due to expose to UV light and ozone.
In addition to standard FKM materials, a number of special materials are available with differing monomer compositions and fluorine content (65% to 71%) for improved low temperature, high temperature, or chemical resistance performance.
Fluorocarbons exhibit low gas permeability making them well suited for hard vacuum service and many formulations are self-extinguishing. FKM materials are not generally recommended for exposure to hot water, steam, polar solvents, low molecular weight esters and ethers, glycol based brake fluids, or hot hydrofluoric or chlorosulfonic acids.
Temperature Range (dry heat)
low
-4 °F
-20 °C

high
392 °F
200 °C

Application Advantages

>excellent chemical resistance
>excellent heat resistance
>good mechanical properties
>good compression set resistance
>Resistance to wide range of oils and solvents; specially all aliphatic, aromatic and halogenated hydrocarbons, acids, animal and vegetable oils
Primary Uses

Application Disadvantages

O-rings, rubber seals and custom molded rubber components for:
Automotive fuel handling
Aircraft engine seals
High temperature applications requiring good compression set performance
Tough sealing applications requiring extreme chemical resistance
General industrial seals and gaskets

poor low temperature flexibility
poor resistance to hot water and steam
not recommended for exposure to hot water, steam, polar solvents, low molecular weight esters and ethers, glycol based brake fluids, or
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
kenrinc

Post by kenrinc »

PSeyfrit wrote:Thanks Ken, I was scratching my head over all the o-ring charts listing it as not for steam when I was sure I had been reading Viton was the choice of Chaski users everywhere.
If you can find Kozo Hiraoka's article in LS regarding O-rings it's pretty much the standard. It's reprinted in the back of the New Shay book. He explains that although Viton is often listed as "not for steam service", in-practice, there has not been an issue. This is of course for your typical, non super-heated LS service.

Ken-
RCW

Post by RCW »

JessVanWinkle wrote:
Gauges are modified Pneumadyne gauges, about 7/8" dia.
Gauges.JPG
I wish you had done a build log on the mod. Beautiful work!

Bob
--Bob
JessVanWinkle

Post by JessVanWinkle »

Thank you!
I didn't take many pictures of the gauges. The new face plates were just drawn out in CAD and copied out on a regular printer, then a little brass work for the bezel, and a mount for everything. Not too bad of a project when the guts are already there to start with!
RCW

Post by RCW »

JessVanWinkle wrote:Thank you!
I didn't take many pictures of the gauges. The new face plates were just drawn out in CAD and copied out on a regular printer, then a little brass work for the bezel, and a mount for everything. Not too bad of a project when the guts are already there to start with!
Thanks, Jess!

I assume that you just turned the case from a brass blank. But how did you do the face? Is it some form of paper, or did you transfer it somehow to a metal plate? And how do you remove and replace the hands?

Hope I'm not making a pest of myself.

Thanks,

Bob