Need help with tooling taper

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

heapes

Need help with tooling taper

Post by heapes »

I have an old milling machine that I recently purchased and I am trying to verify the tooling taper. The sales literature lists the vertical head spindle as being "standard milling machine tapered spindle #30". Another place lists it as "#30NMM taper". So, if I were to leave the 1950's and open the ENCO website, what name would I search to get this tooling? Thanks for your help. Stephen.

Ps. I got a bunch of brown & sharpe collets with the machine but the guy had 10 different machines and a hoard of tooling. --ie I don't know the collets go with this mill.
Steamin

Re: Need help with tooling taper

Post by Steamin »

According to my 1950's Machinery's Handbook; National Machine Tool Builders (NMTB) #30 might be what you are looking for.
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

It could be anything. I have an old Gorton that uses Standard #30. What machine is yours? You may have to measure the taper and then go to the charts.
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
heapes

Post by heapes »

1950's model by Heald machine works. It's a horizontal machine with a heald vertical head. A rare bird as I understand. Thanks for any help. I will start measuring.
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

Might repost under Milling Machines, in the lower section of the index.

The 30 Taper should have a standard taper, what can vary is the pilot where the draw bar screws in, and the driving flange. Some of the recent versions are pilotless, and some have modified flanges for auto tool changers on CNC machines. For an older mill, the handbook details should be correct. NMTB and NMM are used somewhat interchangeably. I use to buy 30 taper holders on Ebay for my Fray mill and never got one that did not work.
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

Russ Hanscom wrote:Might repost under Milling Machines, in the lower section of the index.

The 30 Taper should have a standard taper, what can vary is the pilot where the draw bar screws in, and the driving flange. Some of the recent versions are pilotless, and some have modified flanges for auto tool changers on CNC machines. For an older mill, the handbook details should be correct. NMTB and NMM are used somewhat interchangeably. I use to buy 30 taper holders on Ebay for my Fray mill and never got one that did not work.
Russ, are the NMTB/NMM also basicly the same as the std. #30? I've never quite understood the nomenclature.
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

As far as I know, yes. The taper is common to all. The letters before or after the "30" may depend on the source publishing it. As noted, some of the later versions for CNC have no pilot as they may not use a draw bar, and the flange is modified for tool changers.