Question regarding eccentric throw

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

seal killer

Question regarding eccentric throw

Post by seal killer »

All--

I want to build something other than oscillators. I am stumped on the relationship of eccentric throw to crankshaft throw. Is there a simple explanation, or at least one I may be able to understand?

Thanks.

--Bill
You are what you write.
Curtis_F

Re: Question regarding eccentric throw

Post by Curtis_F »

Bill,

I have the feeling I'm misinterpreting the question, but ya' gotta start somewhere:

Crank Shaft Throw is 1/2 the stroke of the engine. If the throw of the crank is 1" then the piston will travel 2" for ever rotation of the Crank Shaft.

Eccentric Throw is directly related to travel of the Valve in the steam chest. (Not accounting for angularity offsets, Rocker Shafts, etc.) If the Eccentric Throw is 1" then the Valve travels 1" for every rotation of the Crank Shaft.

Generally Eccentric Throw is a small portion of the Crank Shaft Throw as it only has to move to cover and un-cover steam ports. An engine with 20" Stroke (2 X Crankshaft Throw) may only have 3.5" of Valve Travel/Eccentric Throw.

Cheers,

Curtis F.

[edit]Thank you joneg for pointing out my error in the description of the Crank Throw.[/edit]
Last edited by Curtis_F on Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
25+ Years of SolidWorks experience...now I feel old.
"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink."
"Winning an argument on the internet is like winning the Special Olympics."
www.facebook.com/HillcrestShops
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Curtis--
Generally Eccentric Throw is a small portion of the Crank Shaft Throw as it only has to move to cover and un-cover steam ports. An engine with 20" Stroke/Crankshaft Throw may only have 3.5" of Valve Travel/Eccentric Throw.
That answers my question PERFECTLY! I suspected that eccentric throw only needed to be enough to operate the valve, but I had never read anything that actually said that.

Thanks!

--Bill
You are what you write.
joneg

Post by joneg »

the stroke will be twice the throw
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

joneg wrote:the stroke will be twice the throw

Correct. A 1" throw crank yields 2" of movement, as the offset of the crank is determined between the centerlines of the mains and throw.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

seal killer wrote:Curtis--
Generally Eccentric Throw is a small portion of the Crank Shaft Throw as it only has to move to cover and un-cover steam ports. An engine with 20" Stroke/Crankshaft Throw may only have 3.5" of Valve Travel/Eccentric Throw.
That answers my question PERFECTLY! I suspected that eccentric throw only needed to be enough to operate the valve, but I had never read anything that actually said that.

Thanks!

--Bill
True, and the same principle applies with an eccentric as it does with a crank. If the offset of an eccentric is ¼", it will yield ½" of movement.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
mklotz

Post by mklotz »

Animations make the operation of various engines easier to understand. There are some good ones here...

http://www.animatedengines.com/

The "Steam Locomotive" animation is particularly good since it shows the interplay between the classic, eccentric-driven slide valve and the double-acting piston driving the flywheel through a connecting rod.

Also, the "Low Differential Stirling" animation helps one to understand what's going on in a heat engine, a form not familiar to most people outside of the engineering community.
Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz
Curtis_F

Post by Curtis_F »

joneg wrote:the stroke will be twice the throw
Thank you for pointing out my error about the Crank Throw. I've gone back and fixed my description.

However, contrary to that logic, "Eccentric Throw" is the Eccentric Offset x 2. An eccentric with 1/4" offset gives 1/2" of Throw. If there are no mitigating factors such as angular offset, use of a Link or Expansion Link, or unequal length arms on a Rocker Shaft, the Eccentric Throw will equal the Valve Travel.

So a Crank, or Wheels with Crank Pins, with 1" throw is actually 2" of travel of the piston, but an Eccentric with 1" throw is actually 1" of travel of the valve. The same is said for Eccentric Cranks on Walschaerts valve gear where the diameter, not the radius, of the circle the Eccentric Pin is described as the "Eccentric Throw"

Cheers,

Curtis F.
25+ Years of SolidWorks experience...now I feel old.
"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink."
"Winning an argument on the internet is like winning the Special Olympics."
www.facebook.com/HillcrestShops
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Marv--

Thank you for the link!

--Bill
You are what you write.