New Brake Valves

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

JBodenmann

New Brake Valves

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
I have had many requests for brake valves recently but have been completely out of them for some time. All previous brake valves were made up from bar stock and were just sort of a thumbnail representation. I am working on some masters to have the new valves investment cast and they will be a much more accurate representation of Westinghouse H6 and S6 brake valves with the proper Westinghouse builders plates. They will operate the same as previous valves with detent located positions for release, lap, service, and emergency application. The H6 automatic valve will be available set up for straight, or automatic air, or straight or automatic vacuum. They are not suitable for steam. As usual they will be made of brass, bronze, stainless, and the detent ring of hardened steel. The valves will have 3/16" model pipe thread inlets and outlets for supply and train line, and a 1/8" model pipe connection for the brake line pressure gauge. They will be available only machined, tested, and chemically blackened. I hope to eventually offer compression fittings for 1/16" tubing and an illuminated pressure gauge to complement the valves. Price will be the same as before $500.00 but I will offer a special pre order price of $450.00 here on the board. Later I will be making the same valves in 2-1/2" scale. Let me know if you are interested as this will dictate how soon they are available. Here is a photo of the masters.
See you in the funny pages..
Jack
Attachments
BrakeValves.jpg
Harlock

Re: New Brake Valves

Post by Harlock »

I have Jack's large scale brake valve on my MEG and it works very well. If you want prototype-feeling brakes it's a good way to go. (release, lap, apply, big hole settings)

Jack, will the gauge be a dual gauge with both line and application pressure, or just single.

--Mike
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
I am thinking of making some duplex gauges and have made them before, but they are a real fiddle.
Jack
r2brick

Post by r2brick »

Hello Jack, The masters for the brake valves look fantastic, please mark me down for (1)H6 automatic air and (1)S6 brake valves. Delivery schedule is not a factor, I am not quite to that point in the rebuild. Richard
amarget

Post by amarget »

Hi Jack,
My name is Drew Marget and I reply to you from Melbourne Australia. This time last year I was over in your neck of the woods taking delivery of Bruno's K 36, now re-numbered the 482 (its original number). Having lots of fun running the magnificent loco back here on our great live steam railroads. I would be very interested in your 2 1/2" scale brake stand when available including gauge etc. I would be happy if you could keep me informed.
Thanks

Regards

Drew
AMc

Post by AMc »

I would like to be added to your brakevalve list.
Thanks...
AL
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
I am currently working on the molds for the 1-1/2" scale brake valves and hope to get them finished up this week. I am also working on a 1-1/2" scale Sunbeam headlamp. The New York Central Hudson is here in the shop for bit of work, it was in a tornado and the building it was in was destroyed. The locomotive was only lightly damaged, mainly impact damage to the paint. The headlamp was messed up up pretty bad, and as I had to re make most of it, I just went ahead and made masters for the whole thing. the tender was a different story, it was beat up quite a bit. So I have been up to my hubcaps here and that is why I haven't been posting much lately. As to the 2-1/2" scale brake valves, they are the next in line as I have had many requests for them.
See you in the funny pages..
Jack
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Same as with the headlamp the brake valve casting are on hand and tooling will be started. Also the artwork for the builders plates is in progress. Thanks to all who ordered both headlamps and brake valves. When these are fully developed 2-1/2" scale brake valves and 2-1/2" scale DV4 lubricators will be started. I'll keep you informed.
Jack
amarget

Post by amarget »

Sounds great Jack. I have a friend back here in Australia having some cars sent out late this year or early next year from Bruno, so it would be an opportunity to send them to Bruno if they are available then and if that is OK with you. I propose to use the large scale to replace the loco brake valve currently in use and a small scale to replace the train brake valve also currently fitted. Keep in touch as to progress and I can organise payment when required.
Thanks again.

Drew Marget
Melbourne Australia
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
I have a few 1-1/2" scale brake valves on hand ready to ship. This was from the first casting run and I wanted to put a few together just to make sure things were OK before I took any orders. Well everything went fine with the castings and the tooling is made to machine them. On this first run I only did four of each, so I have a few that I can send out now. I have S6 independent and H6 automatic valves. The H6 valves are set up for straight air. These valves are $450.00 each but if you order the set of two they are $425.00 each. The valves have a cast iron valve disc that rotates on an aluminum bronze seat in the S6 valves and on cast bronze seat in the H6. They have detent located positions for release, lap, service application, and emergency. The detent ring is hardened steel. The inlets and outlets are 3/16" model taper pipe. The connection for the gauge is 1/8" model taper pipe. They come painted black just like the photo. These valves are not perfectly to scale, they are a bit oversize. I made them as small as I thought they could be made and operate dependably. This is an introductory offer if you get in on the first production run. After the first run they will be $500.00 each. The S6 valves are straight air only but the H6 valves can be set up for straight air, automatic air, straight vacuum, or automatic vacuum just let me know what you want. These valves do not work on steam, the porting is just too small. Like I said I have a few ready to go out now so if you want to order let me know what you want. If you want to order I require a $100.00 deposit on each valve.
Jack
Attachments
BrakeValves.jpg
MPAPIRI

Post by MPAPIRI »

Hi jack,

Was curious if you still plan on producing the 2.5 scale brake valves along with the duplex gauges?
If so, let me know if a deposit is necessary as I would love a set.

-Mike
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Yes I plan on making new 2-1/2" brake valves from investment castings, but have other projects that must be done first. I will be making both S6 and H6 valves. The new molds will be made at the same time the molds for the 2-1/2" DV4 lubricator will be made. Like the 1-1/2" valves progress will be posted here on the board.
Jack