Roger Goldmann drivers received

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Harlock

Roger Goldmann drivers received

Post by Harlock »

I received a set of drivers from Roger a few days ago. Communication throughout was great, emails always answered, price was right. It did take a while to get enough people to do a foundry run, and the foundry took about twice as long as originally planned, but none of these things were a problem for me as I ordered them way in advance of when I would be able to get to working on them. They are replacement drivers for the MEG.

A big thanks to Roger.

-M
Attachments
IMG_20140527_195355998.jpg
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
Benjamin Maggi

Re: Roger Goldmann drivers received

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

What is wrong with the drivers on your Meg?
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"
DJSteamer3017

Post by DJSteamer3017 »

Mike,
Those will look better on the MEG. You should add this to your MEG thread. Can't wIt to see the results. Thanks and Keep on Steamin' My friend!!

David
The 1" Scale Junkie ... But steam of all sizes is cool with me!!
"If you can dream it, you can do it" - Walt Disney
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

Benjamin Maggi wrote:What is wrong with the drivers on your Meg?
They are all-machined box-poc drivers, discs with a few big holes in them. Something simple that MEG Steam came up with to git-r-done, and more matching the European prototype it was based on. These are more appropriate for an Americanized engine.

The current drivers have worn flanges and will need re-turning. Instead of doing that I will take care of the aesthetic problem at the same time. The axle boxes also need a complete re-do, I recently had to add a ton of shim stock to them because they are rattling around in the pedestals, and the axles were made wrong and allow for a large amount of side to side movement on the front axle. So all of that is getting completely re-done. The MEG was hiding a lot of problems when I bought it, and it's time to knock off the remaining ones with the drivers and axle box setup.
DJSteamer3017

Post by DJSteamer3017 »

Harlock wrote:
They are all-machined box-poc drivers, discs with a few big holes in them. Something simple that MEG Steam came up with to git-r-done, and more matching the European prototype it was based on. These are more appropriate for an Americanized engine.

The current drivers have worn flanges and will need re-turning. Instead of doing that I will take care of the aesthetic problem at the same time. The axle boxes also need a complete re-do, I recently had to add a ton of shim stock to them because they are rattling around in the pedestals, and the axles were made wrong and allow for a large amount of side to side movement on the front axle. So all of that is getting completely re-done. The MEG was hiding a lot of problems when I bought it, and it's time to knock off the remaining ones with the drivers and axle box setup.
Mike
Are you going to set it up like John has on his Darjeeling?

David
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

DJSteamer3017 wrote:
Harlock wrote:

Mike
Are you going to set it up like John has on his Darjeeling?

David
Likely yes with adjustable coil springs rather than the rubber bumpers, given suitable clearance availability. It's a night and day difference in ride quality.
DJSteamer3017

Post by DJSteamer3017 »

Mike,
Any updates on these drivers?

David
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

Nope not sure if they will be done for the triennial or not. It's a lot of work. Finishing car projects first.