A Long Term Project

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Fred_V

Re: A Long Term Project

Post by Fred_V »

Steve Goodbody wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:23 pm Hi Fred - I can't remember if your loco is the Milner or Don Young 4 inch scale design? I've heard that the valve gear on one of these designs can benefit from modification but can't recall which one. The valve events on the Elidir design seem good while bench-running on air, time will tell how it performs on the track however.

The notched lever is the steam brake valve - it's a modified version of the Martin Evans progressive application design for Highlander. The original design uses a rotary handle, I've modified it to a more prototypical-looking pull to apply, push to release version.

Best regards
Steve
Ah, I didn't realize you built the Elidir engine. Mine is the Milner design. It is not as close to prototype as the 3" designs. The firebox part of the boiler doesn't stick up to provide steam space but it fires well and has not primed.
Fred V
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
Steve Goodbody

Post by Steve Goodbody »

Hi all,

Well, all of the major bits and pieces are now complete and the time has come to start pulling things apart for painting. Here are a bunch of pictures taken this weekend in readiness......
1.jpg
Oak toolbox:
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
Vacuum hose and coupling:
6.jpg
More to follow,
Steve
Steve Goodbody

Post by Steve Goodbody »

8.jpg
9.jpg
Rear Primary Coupling (Removable):
10.jpg
Driver's side Injector water valve lever. Cylinder drain cock and steam chest drain cock levers below:
11.jpg
Fireman's side injector water valve lever and ashpan damper below.
12.jpg
More to follow....
Steve
Attachments
13.jpg
Last edited by Steve Goodbody on Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

Very nicely done Steve. The spring buffers were never used on the working Hunslets nor did they have cabs. That would make your design a Preservation engine as all that was added for their present working.
Is this a 4" scale engine?
Fred
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
Steve Goodbody

Post by Steve Goodbody »

Final version of the duplex vacuum brake gauge. Steam brake gauge below.
14.jpg
15.jpg
16.jpg
17.jpg
18.jpg
Vacuum ejector:
19.jpg
Last edited by Steve Goodbody on Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Goodbody

Post by Steve Goodbody »

20.jpg
21.jpg
22.jpg
25.jpg
Steam chest drain cock arrangement:
23.jpg
24.jpg
Steve Goodbody

Post by Steve Goodbody »

26.jpg
Water filler and brass mesh strainer (inner water tank is copper):
27.jpg
28.jpg
29.jpg
Now to start the final tear-down!
Best regards
Steve
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

Great detail Steve. Did you add a superheater? I here these are wet engines to run with all that cylinder and steamchest iron.
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Steve, Work of Art! Thanks very much for posting your photos.

Where did you find those remarkable clover leaf valve handles and that nifty Vacuum gauge?

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Sandiapaul

Post by Sandiapaul »

Very nice work and a great looking little engine!
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Wow! I love seeing fine workmanship and detail. Very nicely done!

I really like that nice little oak box.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Steve Goodbody

Post by Steve Goodbody »

Hi all, and many thanks.
In quick response to the questions:

Fred:
The loco is based around the 3" scale Elidir design. Although not in original condition, like most of them now, I've always been fond of Holy War on the Bala Lake Railway and generally like the look of buffers and a full cab. Since I'm not modelling an exact prototype I've added and modified a bunch of things to suit my personal taste and preferences.

I have two stainless steel superheaters but have not extended them into the firebox. Hence they're more likely steam driers than superheaters. You can make them out in some of the earlier spark arrestor / smokebox pictures.

Glenn:
The duplex vacuum gauge is home-built based around the guts of two small commercial gauges arranged back-to-back. The investment cast handwheels are available from Macc Models in the UK, see: https://maccmodels.co.uk/product-catego ... and-wheel/

Best regards
Steve