Smith Valley line closed by the LALS Board of Directors...

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: Harold_V, WJH, cbrew

keyrouteken

Smith Valley line closed by the LALS Board of Directors...

Post by keyrouteken » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:22 pm

Smith Valley Line Closed Indefinitely

The Smith Valley Line is closed indefinitely. Due to pipeline tunneling for the new reservoir under the west end of our layout, cracks and potholes have occurred along the right of way. The line and access to the line is closed by order of the Board of Directors. Do not cross the yellow tape or run on the line.

Sam Calderwood
President

Notice courtesy of:
Ken Shattock
IBLS
Attachments
LALS23.jpg
Yellow tape on Smith Valley line at LALS-- now closed!
LALS46.jpg
Note the nearby hole in the pavement--LALS
LALS46A.jpg
Note the long crack between the tracks on the Smith Valley line--LALS.

fresnojay

Re: Smith Valley line closed by the LALS Board of Directors.

Post by fresnojay » Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:45 pm

Oh wow that is not good. Hope it can get figured out or handle by next year spring meet. That was the primary route for those of us with equipment that took up residence on the west end during the meet.

Jason

cp4449

Post by cp4449 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:24 am

Do not worry Jason, for there will be a new tunnel in that area for you to travel through....:)
Christopher P. Mahony
Los Angeles Live Steamers
1 inch scale member

FLSTEAM

Post by FLSTEAM » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:32 am

there will be a new tunnel in that area for you to travel through
Looks like all you are going to need is a culvert and backfill... :D

John B.
http://www.ngshay.com/
Shay drawings and castings

cp4449

Post by cp4449 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:12 pm

Actually this is a serious problem for the city and the guys who tunneled under us and Traveltown next door. They are sending out a geologist and others to figure out why it sank. Just because where they tunneled used to be part of the old LA River bed might have something to do with it....
Christopher P. Mahony
Los Angeles Live Steamers
1 inch scale member

mattmason

Post by mattmason » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:08 am

That explains the overnight guard there this weekend with his headlights on that part of the park. I was there all weekend and never knew about it. Guess I really do just stick to the 1" line there.
Matt Mason

DJSteamer3017

Post by DJSteamer3017 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:34 am

mattmason wrote:That explains the overnight guard there this weekend with his headlights on that part of the park. I was there all weekend and never knew about it. Guess I really do just stick to the 1" line there.
I know I would
The 1" Scale Junkie ... But steam of all sizes is cool with me!!
"If you can dream it, you can do it" - Walt Disney

Cary Stewart

Post by Cary Stewart » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:08 pm

In the first photo, everything to the right, which is the original main line, is on fill which covers the remains of the old Crystal Springs Drive which followed the toe of the mountain all the way into what is now Travel Town's parking lot. Along the way there is a small almost totally buried fenced area. Under there is the old Spanish lime kilns. These served Mission San Fernando. Next time you are at the west end of he long tangent look at the side of the mountain. There you will see white streaks in the DG - that is the lime stone that they mined and roasted to make plaster. When I was a boy during WWII a Sunday drive sometimes occurred along Crystal Springs Drive and then up into the hills.

Before that the LA river did a lot of meandering. In the late 19th and early 20th century there was a Providencia Park that was accessed from the north side of the river via a shallow ford in the river. It was quite a large park and was landscaped. Where the fire road is now with our three tunnels under it was the parks maintenance works. These buildings were torn out shortly after LALS was established. A early photo from the tall hill above the old steaming bays shows our old green Tonapah & Tidewater coach, the Oahu RR., the other road that rand along the river and some tiny pine trees. Nest time you are at the LALS ask one of the Directors if you could have a copy of a printed history of the LALS. I think there is also a photo of our location before we began construction of the steaming bays and the arrival of the coach.

Cary