Some photos of a 5" gauge South African loco...

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

andrewgiffen3052

Some photos of a 5" gauge South African loco...

Post by andrewgiffen3052 »

..not built by me I hasten to add.

Never know quite how much interest this sort of post gets, but I guess part of the fun is in sharing photos of our toys right? This was a 13 year build back in Cape Town, had to get the chequebook out for it as it's going to be some time before I can post work that comes anything close to the experts on here. Still in that phase of life of full time work and small children, but I figured this was an opportunity not to miss, and that until the day comes when I've got the nice workshop and the time, I'd get this engine on to the tracks from time to time, and keep it in good order as best I could.

So far, I've given it the "once over", with some experiments: new valves and valve rings to improve timing and new motion bearings made from Vesconite. So far that's all been succesful. Biggest load so far has been about 3 tonnes up a 1:80 grade and the bearings are happy with that.
Attachments
10352761_10152583360103973_5684992428985825152_n.jpg
public run 6.jpg
loco1.jpg
..this one to give an idea of the loco's size.
..this one to give an idea of the loco's size.
Benjamin Maggi

Re: Some photos of a 5" gauge South African loco...

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

A very nice looking engine. I saw a PBS special once in the early 1980's about steam in South Africa and ever since then have thought that SAR steam locomotives were in a class all their own.

Congratulations on your new engine.
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"
Jim_Nolan

Post by Jim_Nolan »

Andrew,

1.5 scale on 5" rails got to love it, that is some back head

Jim
www.northernsteam.com
FLtenwheeler

Post by FLtenwheeler »

Hi Andrew

Can you provide some more information. What group you belong to?

I was in Johannesburg a few years back for 5 weeks. I was able to visit 2 tracks. I had a great time.

Tim
He who dies with the most unfinished projects: Should of put more time into their hobby.
hudson

Post by hudson »

Hi Andrew,

Very nice pictures!

Are the 1st and 3rd picture taken at Swiss Vapeur Parc, Le Bouveret, and the 4th picture at
Dampfbahn Aaretal at Münsingen?

Happy steaming,
hudson
JKreider

Post by JKreider »

Andrew:

Nice engine. SAR class 19D if I remember right.
I agree with Jim Nolan, nice backhead!

I made two trips to South Africa when steam was king.

I have a number plate off of 4-8-2 class 23, number 3215, and a GEA Garratt, number 4021.

Jim Kreider
andrewgiffen3052

Post by andrewgiffen3052 »

Thanks guys.

Hudson: how on earth did you know?? you also in this part of the world?

Jim K, I'm gonna have to save a bit more to start a collection of the full size plates, but that's gonna have to wait, I've used up all my credit both with the bank and with the management!

The engine is a class 15F mountain, very nice chunky all-purpose locos on the old SAR, both crack passenger and freight were hauled by them in their time, on the 3 foot 6 inch cape gauge. The model was built by Jan Visagie (not online unfortunately) in Cape Town, finished 14 years ago and took 13 years to build. He couldn't find a mill with a long enough traverse so started the whole project by building the mill himself ...

I never met him myself so it was a leap of faith buying this without having first seen it run, but then again this fraternity is usually pretty trustworthy I've found so far. He's still building, about to complete another loco right now.

Jim N is too kind, but his SAR 25NC in the making is going to be in a different league in both size and accuracy... what a dream project Jim.

Tim, I am in Switzerland at the moment, but we'll be moving back to the UK before very long. I am originally from SA myself hence the choice of loco - my favourite. The black livery with grey smokebox echoes US practice. The designs had influences from all over and very pleasing to my eye. Both aggressive and elegant, as a friend of mine once said.

Thanks for the interest guys, here's a nice one on shed from the other day to compare with a 7.25" gauge Berkshire:
Attachments
10487261_828527700505510_2689820311923850480_n.jpg
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

you would be surprised how much some of use travel -> and take our 'free' weekends to visit whatever steam is available, large or small.

I visit RSME in Jo-burg every time I get there (which is every 2-3 years).

So far, I have visited 3 clubs in Germany and trying to sort out how to get to one the next time I am in Sweden (when the snow isn't a meter deep).
Too many things going on to bother listing them.