brown paper bag

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

110HLW

brown paper bag

Post by 110HLW »

I have heard of people using brown paper bags as gasket material. Does this work and would it work for my steam chests of my ten wheeler? I don't like permatex.

Corey
Stuie

Re: brown paper bag

Post by Stuie »

In the old days some people used oil soaked news paper, so I would say yes as long as you soak it in oil. I found a couple of these old gaskets on my locomotive when I rebuilt some parts recently. The locomotive was built in 1959 and the gaskets still worked, albeit they crumbled and fell apart when I removed the cylinder heads. One piece had been the header of the newspaper and happened to have a date from 1958! With a brown paper bag being a more fibrous type of paper it may not work. It might just take some experimenting!
3/4" scale LBSC Bantam Cock
3/4" scale B4 project (re-designed LBSC Juliet)
- Stuart T. Harrod -
daveb

Post by daveb »

Hi Corey

I'm building a Kozo Shay and he calls for brown paper(0.1mm) soaked in oil for all pressure joints.
Dave Barker
Kennebunk Me
rrtrax4501

Post by rrtrax4501 »

Bob Paule taught me to use brown paper grocery bags, and get them oiled up, it's suprizing how well they have held up. I have had the cylinders apart many time and used the same ones over and over, with no leaks! Corey please give me a call at 618-980-9436 I have a question for you about the SLLS. Steve
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

i know its a little out of scope, but believe it or not, High Temperature Red RTV Silicone Gasket Maker is all i use for my locos
it just a take a very little to seal up the mating surfaces
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
Loco112

Post by Loco112 »

You can buy sheet gasket material at the auto parts houses.

The sheet I used to make an old AMC waterpump gasket out of had paper fibers in it, but it also had some flexible and compressible property to it.
DavidF

Post by DavidF »

how about some teflon film? they have it as thin as .002" on up. See bottom of this page http://www.mcmaster.com/#sheets-(made-w ... e)/=sr812q
tsph6500

Post by tsph6500 »

Traditionally a brown paper grocery bag or banknote was used with cylinder oil. The currency denomination was optional. :wink: Now that Canada has plastic bills up to $100 and most stores use only plastic bags… I use either automotive gasket paper available at Canadian Tire stores or some old Garlock for heavy duty applications. You can keep the various goops.
Best regards,
Jim Leggett

Montreal Live Steamers
www.montreallivesteamers.org

A Founding Member of the Tinkerbell Scale Society - Northern Division
I'm an A.R.S.E. (Association of Railroad Steam Engineers)
Toad Swamp & Punk Hollow Railroad - Head Tycoon
The Juvenile Traction Company - CEO & Apprentice Machinist 3rd Class
White Mountain Central RR - Engineer & Fireman
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

I've used the paper bags to make gaskets on several locomotives over the years, and for several small pumps. I don't soak it in oil, I just smear a very thin coat of gasket sealer (silicone) on there and button it all up. Has worked very good for me, and the price is right. You can still ask for paper bags at most of the smaller grocery stores.

I use gasket making material for most of the larger gaskets. I typically use the blue stuff that is used for automotive water pumps. That works good, and you can get it in several different thicknesses.
10 Wheeler Rob

Post by 10 Wheeler Rob »

Where I used oil soaked paper on engine models which I run on air they leak slightly, maybe the steam swells the fiber. I used 5 mil thick Teflon (TM) on my ten Wheeler steam chest.

I have been told paper coated with schallack seals well.
John_S

Post by John_S »

We ran a card-order session at our RR last year and I was scheduled to run passenger service. As soon as I hit ~80lbs my steam dome gasket started leaking. It's automotive gasket material, as mentioned previously, from Ace Hardware.

I rummaged around and found a brown paper grocery bag in our section house, cut a new gasket, coated it with steam oil, and replaced the dome gasket with it.

Worked like a champ with no leaks at all. About a month later I replaced it with the real gasket material. The only downside was that it flaked off in a million little pieces -- a rag stuffed in the steam dome kept them from winding up inside the boiler.
Loco112

Post by Loco112 »

Remember; if your gasket absorbs water, it will probably lead to rust on any cast iron surface that it contacts, if left over a long period of time.

In a pinch anyhting goes!