The passing of Bob Reedy

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Ken Schroeder

The passing of Bob Reedy

Post by Ken Schroeder »

I just had a phone call from Bob Reedy's wife saying that he passed away on Tuesday July 22nd. He was 86 years old and had retired 22 years ago as a machinist. He had several articles in the Live Steam magazine and was a fantastic builder. He had just completed a wrecking crane about 1 month ago which his wife said is to appear in the January issue of Live Steam & Outdoor Railroading. He was a member of the Sacramento Valley Live Steamers.

Ken
Postwarbob

Re: The passing of Bob Reedy

Post by Postwarbob »

How sad . I got to see his crane during the construction phase at the track in Sacramento. Beautiful work. Hope to see the finished model. Bob was a very interesting man to talk with.
RIP BOB............
LSGOD

Post by LSGOD »

Bob was a great guy. I helped him on most of his projects. He was an extremely gifted machinest and fabricator. I will miss him.

LSGOD
GS14403

Post by GS14403 »

Ken, thanks for posting this, otherwise a lot of us would not have heard. The SVLS website has information about a celebration of life which will be held on August 3rd. The information can be found here.

http://www.svls.org/news.php

I have always been in awe of Bob's work. He was a very talented machinist and an all around good guy. The hobby has lost another irreplaceable member and he will be missed. Attached are a few photographs of his Climax and Atlantic. Somewhere I am hoping I have some photographs of his crane and if I can find them I will also post them here.

Donald
Attachments
GS pictures0039.jpg
GS pictures0040.jpg
GS pictures0041.jpg
page3_002.jpg
page3_003.jpg
paralleler

Post by paralleler »

I recently purchased a two-truck Climax #38 from Discover Live Steam. While searching the history of the locomotive, the name Bob Reedy came up and possible speculation began that I had his locomotive. Nope! Both a very knowledgable member of GGLS along with a new friend I met just a few weeks earlier who provided me with photos of Bob's locomotive made it official. What a handsome three-truck Climax #33 Bob had built! I was told that Bob had donated his Climax to his church where it was sold as a fund raiser. Does anyone know where it is now?

Meanwhile I continue to learn and clean-up the Climax I purchased. It ventured from Florida to California in 2013. I was told there were no drawings and that the gentleman in Florida had not known if it was built based from the Kozo book. So who was the original builder of #38? I have since gotten a copy of Kozo's Climax book and am almost certain #38 is based off of it. More on this later.

Godspeed Bob!
Attachments
Bob, A Friend, & Climax #33
Bob, A Friend, & Climax #33
Bob Enjoying A Ride On His Climax
Bob Enjoying A Ride On His Climax
Climax #38 at GGLS
Climax #38 at GGLS
Rob Gardner

Post by Rob Gardner »

Does anyone have a reference to the month and year that Bob had the article about the construction of his PRR Atlantic in Live Steam? I've misplaced it and would like to pick up another copy of it. Had a lot of great tips and tricks and photos of how he went about fabricating his PV cylinders among other things.

Thanks in advance.

Rob Gardner
BAdams

Post by BAdams »

Live Steam - May/June 2009, July/August 2009.

Per http://www.livesteam.net/magazine/article-index/
Rob Gardner

Post by Rob Gardner »

Thank you for the dates!

Does anyone know where he is early E-6 Atlantic is now?

Rob Gardner