Not quite live steam, but machine/railroad related.

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Harold_V

Re: Not quite live steam, but machine/railroad related.

Post by Harold_V »

Some random thoughts on the removal of items that have been broken from rust or corrosion.
First, I am of the opinion that none of the penetrating oils have the ability to degrade rust or other corrosion. If they did have, there'd be a hazardous warning on the labels, cautioning the user about the content of acid or base---and I'm of the opinion that none exists. It does offer lubricity, which assists the item in being extracted, but without breaking the bond of corrosion, it, in and of itself, does nothing to move the item. That's accomplished by various mechanical means, such as hammer blows, repeated attempts to turn the item, or heating.

Heat is almost always your friend, assuming you can heat the item in question.

Many years ago I rebuilt the engine in the '40 LaSalle sedan I was driving. Those of you who are familiar with Cadillac and LaSalle of that era understand that there's a crossover manifold for the exhaust, porcelain finished, that runs side to side at the rear of the engine. It is held in place by four bolts on each end, and they get badly corroded with time, as they are subject to exhaust heat constantly.

When I tried to remove the manifold, more than one bolt broke off. Secure in the knowledge that breaking the bond of corrosion at the thread was critical to success, I poured Coca Cola on the rusted studs, and kept it available for a day or so, so the phosphoric acid in the Coke would dissolve the rust. A day later, each was twisted out with a plier, no problem.

Destroy the corrosion and you free the item.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Rwilliams

Re: Not quite live steam, but machine/railroad related.

Post by Rwilliams »

Dealing with corrosion is always a challenge. As Harold says, breaking the bond of the corrosion is the key to removal of the parts in question. There are some Youtube videos in regards to using a battery charger and a container of water with Borax dissolved in the water. Watching the videos and seeing the before and after images is most impressive. A friend used the same method to dissolve rust on an old water cooled Fairbanks gas engine. He used the garbage can to hold the cylinder block casting. A day later it was like a magic wand had been involved, the rust was gone. I am sure it would work in this situation and is worth a try.