Finally able to do stuff with my CAD drawings!

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Stuie

Finally able to do stuff with my CAD drawings!

Post by Stuie »

I thought I would share this with everyone. I finally found a way to export my cad files to .stl files. I created a shop on Shapeways called Small Scale Limited. Hopefully this can help out some of us in the the smaller scales! Next on the list is to figure out how to enlarge the files to allow for shrinkage and to get my windows back so I can fill in holes before the model is cast. Check it out, I would love to get feedback from everyone!! Still adding more every day!
https://www.shapeways.com/shops/smallscalelimited
3/4" scale LBSC Bantam Cock
3/4" scale B4 project (re-designed LBSC Juliet)
- Stuart T. Harrod -
Harlock

Re: Finally able to do stuff with my CAD drawings!

Post by Harlock »

Don't know what you're using for cad but usually there is a scale feature you can apply at the end. The factor will be a trial and error after you order some parts. Varies from material to material.

I have a lot of models on Shapeways right now and converting from 3" scale to 2 1/2" before opening the shop. Everything RP for the loco, boxcar and caboose was printed with shapeways, both stainless steel and plastic decorative parts.

Nice looking stuff.

Cheers,

-Mike
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
Dave Sohlstrom

Post by Dave Sohlstrom »

One thought. I have had shapways do a lot of RPs for me. When ever possible where I was going to make a silicone mold from the RP and I could I made the part hollow to reduce cost. One place I see that you could possible do that is on your drivers. Hollow out the back side so when the driver is layed on a board to make a mold from you still get a good mold.

Dave
JohnHudak

Post by JohnHudak »

Beautiful...! Keep it up, we need more 3/4" stuff...
John
Jim_Nolan

Post by Jim_Nolan »

Great work Stuart, this is a considerable amount of effort you have put in to get that body of work ready. I am sure you will get requests to do parts in 1.1/2 scale as well particularly if it’s unusual or hard to find components.

Only comment I may add although given your work to date I am sure you have considered it. Is to add some machining allowance to the machined surfaces. You need something on to take off . For the small items like the feed water heater end caps ½ mm should be more than ample. Things like the cradle which may have a bit of distortion probably 1 to 1.5 mm. I generally add the machining allowance as a separate feature and in a different colour so I don’t miss anything.

Jim
www.northernsteam.com