1.5" Scale 1923 Tidewater Tank Car TWOX 1367

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Harold_V

Re: 1.5" Scale 1923 Tidewater Tank Car TWOX 1367

Post by Harold_V »

steamin10 wrote:Redneck: I have to take you to the gambling boats here. You are lucky.
I dunno about luck. I'd say he's damned smart. The process he recommends is perfectly safe, and is routinely used for working on such vessels.

I witnessed the oily residue mentioned when I dismantled the carburetor for my lift truck (some folks call them fork lifts). I found that if I turned it off and allowed it to sit with fuel, it would slowly gum up. Note that it may not operate for weeks or even months between uses. By running the truck until it runs out of fuel after it has been shut off, that problem evaporated. It wastes some fuel, but prevents poor operation.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
steamin10

Re: 1.5" Scale 1923 Tidewater Tank Car TWOX 1367

Post by steamin10 »

I disagree that his proceedure is 'perfectly safe'. It does try to address the dangers present.

My experience with lift trucks in industry have revealed many odd problems, from very fine iron dust (rust) plugging filters in the regulators, to gummy problems as you describe. Older trucks being inclined to "rituals ' of shutdown, and startup. Collapsed hoses another SNAFU as LP is hard chemically on fuel hose. Many normal rubber hose perferates in mere days if used as fuel line. So rated hose must be used.

In the end, we control our own destiny, by whatever cautions or Vodoo we do. So think and play safe. Doing things is a risk in itself, but is the passage that must be faced to 'get er done'!
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.