Flange Oiler

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

johnpenn74

Flange Oiler

Post by johnpenn74 »

Does anyone out there have a simple design for a ***rail mounted*** flange oiler?

I saw one made from a coffee can at Canton one time, but have no idea how the application works. A sponge?

JP
Last edited by johnpenn74 on Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Pennington

Logging meets that actually move logs

Project
2 Mich-Cal Shays
Allen 4-4-0 Narrow Gauge Conversion
Two Reading A5a Camelback 0-4-0
USRA 0-6-0
Clishay
4 Western Wheeled Scraper NG Dump Cars
N&W 4-8-2
ICM 2-10-2
4 Modern Stake Cars
L&N Caboose
4 Big Four Conversion Gondolas

Like I'm actually gonna build all this stuff :-P
Greg_Lewis

Re: Flange Oiler

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Robert Williams made the pattern for a nice one. You can get it from Model Rail Castings:

http://www.modelrailcastings.com/item.php?id=28
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Rwilliams

Post by Rwilliams »

Flange oilers or lubricators can be track mounted or locomotive mounted. Most applications I have seen on full size locomotives deliver small quantities of low grade oil to the rail side of the flange. Too much oil will result is slipping and many other problems. They can be very temperamental and difficult to keep adjusted as they are usually a gravity feed situation. Graphite sticks are sometimes used for the same purpose.

The track mounted flange oilers are also hard to keep adjusted. They are usually placed close to the curved track which is giving the problem with too much wear and flange squeal. A reservoir for the oil is usually located below the track between the ties. A piece of metal is located next to the inside of the rail where the flange will press down on the well placed metal which causes pumping action in the oil reservoir. A small regulated amount of oil is then squirted on the flange of the wheel as it crosses over the actuator plate next to the rail. This happens for each wheel and spreads around the wheel and the rail before reaching the curve in question. Often times, it is a series of curves that are involved and no easy way to enlarge them.

I have never seen one rail mounted in scale practice. In full size practice, adjustment is critical and has caused much frustration with operating crews and management alike. Often times they are more trouble than they are worth and just left empty as removing them is more cost for the company. They will keep steel track from rusting. Severe slippage of locomotives is usually the resulting problem and often the use of sand is still not enough to overcome the over lubed track.

The infamous incident at Cantera Loop in the Sacramento River Canyon just above Dunsmuir some years ago was partially to blame on a flange lubrication system from what I have read. A locomotive went into wheel slip from the oil and then recovered putting too much stress on the train as it rounded the sharp curve. The tank car full of a nasty weed killing chemical was punctured and ended up in the river. By morning time, the river had flushed out the chemical and it was on the way to Shasta Lake.

Unless one is in big need of a flange lubricator, they are probably more trouble than they are worth in our scale. A bit of grease well placed before a run might be far easier to apply and last for the short time needed. You might want to try the grease trick first before going to all the trouble of a track mounted flange lubrication system.

Robert
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

...I was hoping nobody was even considering the idea of putting a working flange oiler on a locomotive or other piece of rolling stock. Some would say, tracks get oiled enough by gas-hydraulic locomotives. In particular, after they blow a line or something else leaks on the track. Any kind of leak on the track is one sure way to bring most other trains to their knees when trying to climb a grade...or generate a feeling of helplessness trying to stop going down-grade.

Still, Robert...you created a nice detail there. Thanks for sharing the background info on both rolling stock and track flange lubricators. Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!